From: Jeff R. on

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:04:52 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
> wrote:
>
>>.... I note you say pedophilia or hemophilia. It's
>>child abuse but you are trying to sub divide to make the peadophilia
>>number lesser.
>
> Well, no. I consider pedophilia and hemophilia by priests to be
> equally reprehensible, so including both categories increases the
> total percentage and makes the case look worse for the church.

Well...

If there ever was a post which demonstrated why we need the gentle
ministrations of grammar/spelling "Nazis", this would be it.

Either that, or it seems that suffering from a genetic blood disease is a
reprehensible act.
(ISTR that "fear of vegetable soup" has already been addressed...)

--
Jeff R.

From: Peter on
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:17:10 -0500, Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> I read Chris's posts carefully and respond carefully. Chris now
>>> implies that he is dyslexic. To the best of my knowledge, dyslexia
>>> does not prevent someone from understanding the meaning of words.
>>>
>>> When Chris repeatedly uses "equivocate" incorrectly, I can't see how
>>> that can be excused by claiming to be dyslexic.
>>>

>>My grandson, who has a huge vocabulary, is dyslexic; that vocabulary
>>extends back to his two-year-old days. When he showed difficulties in
>>reading (just a few days after his seventh birthday) his parents had him
>>tested. The oral portion of the test concluded with this question: "What
>>are the negative connotations of rapid technological advancement?" He
>>gave some logical examples and the tester said he was the only
>>seven-year-old who even tried to answer it. Incidentally, his parents
>>found a good therapist and by the time he was in the sixth grade he was
>>reading at 12th grade level. His case certainly indicates the truth of
>>your statement, Tony.
>
> My father may have been dyslexic. He was never tested or diagnosed
> because it wasn't done in his day. He was a very slow reader and had
> to read the same material over and over to grasp it. Anything he
> heard, though, he was able to easily absorb. Sometimes he'd ask my
> mother or me to read an complex article to him because he could grasp
> material he heard so much easier than material he read.
>
> When he came up to word he didn't recognize when reading, or needed to
> check the definition or spelling of a word he wanted to use in his
> writing, he'd have me look it up in the dictionary because he was
> uncomfortable using one. That started when I was in grade school and
> was one of the contributing factors to my interest in English usage.
>
> His vocabulary was extensive, and he would never use a word that he
> didn't understand the meaning of. However, his spelling and math was
> atrocious. I inherited his math skills.

You just reminded me of the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia.
He stayed up all night pondering if there really was a dog.

--
Peter