From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-12 05:44:07 -0700, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> said:

> In message <da26s5l32315t27s0oc9ntlov95qegmia8(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:05:33 +0100, Pete
>> <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Those who have been on the receiving end of abuse will feel belittled
>>> when the discussion turns to spelling and grammar. Abuse is vile, an
>>> outrage, and terribly damaging. In comparison, spelling and grammar are
>>> totally insignificant. You postings invalidate the abused, which is
>>> atrocious. That is why I asked you to stop.
>>
>> It is not insignificant when you write something that can be
>> misleading because you have not used the right word. There are
>> readers here who do understand the meaning of words. When those
>> people read that someone has been "equivocating", they take that to
>> mean the person has been evasive in their responses.
>>
>> Would you say my responses in this thread have been evasive?
>> Ambiguous? Vague?
>
> More in denial and refusing to address the huge problem of the Catholic
> church supporting pedophiles.

Well it seems Ratzinger is planing to take pedophilia head on, so to speak.
<
http://www.theonion.com/articles/pope-vows-to-get-church-pedophilia-down-to-accepta,17201/

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:43:04 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>In message <tk06s55u780st3e5mag4vnrlhi9n14u3a8(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>>How can you not know the answer? I guess it's because you are swift to
>>>criticize instead of being a good listener.
>>
>>I read Chris's posts carefully and respond carefully. Chris now
>>implies that he is dyslexic. To the best of my knowledge, dyslexia
>>does not prevent someone from understanding the meaning of words.
>>
>>When Chris repeatedly uses "equivocate" incorrectly, I can't see how
>>that can be excused by claiming to be dyslexic.
>
>As already noted whilst we are discussing child abuse by Tony's church
>he finds grammar and spelling far more important.

There's not much that can do about abating the problem with the
church, but my comments might prompt you to use a proofreader for that
technical paper you are allegedly writing. I would hope that you
wouldn't want to look the fool by your associates.

>This is the sort of denial by Catholics that has protected the church
>for so long.
>
>Tony's other defence is he is a "lapsed Catholic" but his wife goes to
>Catholic Church and his children go to a Catholic school.

There's no need for me to defend my wife's actions. Perhaps your
"condition" excuses you from overlooking the previously stated fact
that my children - now in their 40s - are long out of school.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:17:10 -0500, Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>> I read Chris's posts carefully and respond carefully. Chris now
>> implies that he is dyslexic. To the best of my knowledge, dyslexia
>> does not prevent someone from understanding the meaning of words.
>>
>> When Chris repeatedly uses "equivocate" incorrectly, I can't see how
>> that can be excused by claiming to be dyslexic.
>>

>My grandson, who has a huge vocabulary, is dyslexic; that vocabulary
>extends back to his two-year-old days. When he showed difficulties in
>reading (just a few days after his seventh birthday) his parents had him
>tested. The oral portion of the test concluded with this question: "What
>are the negative connotations of rapid technological advancement?" He
>gave some logical examples and the tester said he was the only
>seven-year-old who even tried to answer it. Incidentally, his parents
>found a good therapist and by the time he was in the sixth grade he was
>reading at 12th grade level. His case certainly indicates the truth of
>your statement, Tony.

My father may have been dyslexic. He was never tested or diagnosed
because it wasn't done in his day. He was a very slow reader and had
to read the same material over and over to grasp it. Anything he
heard, though, he was able to easily absorb. Sometimes he'd ask my
mother or me to read an complex article to him because he could grasp
material he heard so much easier than material he read.

When he came up to word he didn't recognize when reading, or needed to
check the definition or spelling of a word he wanted to use in his
writing, he'd have me look it up in the dictionary because he was
uncomfortable using one. That started when I was in grade school and
was one of the contributing factors to my interest in English usage.

His vocabulary was extensive, and he would never use a word that he
didn't understand the meaning of. However, his spelling and math was
atrocious. I inherited his math skills.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:09:05 +0100, Pete
<available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:

>On 2010-04-12 12:58:10 +0100, tony cooper said:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:05:33 +0100, Pete
>> <available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Those who have been on the receiving end of abuse will feel belittled
>>> when the discussion turns to spelling and grammar. Abuse is vile, an
>>> outrage, and terribly damaging. In comparison, spelling and grammar are
>>> totally insignificant. You postings invalidate the abused, which is
>>> atrocious. That is why I asked you to stop.
>>
>> It is not insignificant when you write something that can be
>> misleading because you have not used the right word. There are
>> readers here who do understand the meaning of words. When those
>> people read that someone has been "equivocating", they take that to
>> mean the person has been evasive in their responses.
>>
>> Would you say my responses in this thread have been evasive?
>> Ambiguous? Vague?
>
>Excessive.

That's an ambiguous answer, Pete. Excessive in evasiveness or
excessive in quantity?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:44:07 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>In message <da26s5l32315t27s0oc9ntlov95qegmia8(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>>On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 11:05:33 +0100, Pete
>><available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Those who have been on the receiving end of abuse will feel belittled
>>>when the discussion turns to spelling and grammar. Abuse is vile, an
>>>outrage, and terribly damaging. In comparison, spelling and grammar are
>>>totally insignificant. You postings invalidate the abused, which is
>>>atrocious. That is why I asked you to stop.
>>
>>It is not insignificant when you write something that can be
>>misleading because you have not used the right word. There are
>>readers here who do understand the meaning of words. When those
>>people read that someone has been "equivocating", they take that to
>>mean the person has been evasive in their responses.
>>
>>Would you say my responses in this thread have been evasive?
>>Ambiguous? Vague?
>
>More in denial and refusing to address the huge problem of the Catholic
>church supporting pedophiles.

What is there to address? I've acknowledged that it is egregious
problem. I've never denied that it is a problem. I don't know what
else needs addressing.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida