From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:28:21 +0100, Pete
<available.on.request(a)aserver.invalid> wrote:

>>> Spelling and grammar correction therapy would be appropriate for
>>> victims who actively seek to make their condition worse. It works by
>>> invalidation via belittling (more abuse), as I stated in a previous
>>> post
>>
>> You seem to saying that Chris is a victim of abuse. That, to the
>> best of my knowledge, is not the case.
>
>I'm not implying that at all.

The spelling, grammar, and misuse of vocabulary comments I have made
have been directed at Chris. Your paragraph above certainly implies
that Chris is a victim.

>I can imagine you at a job interview: pointing out language errors then
>wondering why you didn't get the job. Many of us could easily explain
>it to you (albeit in less than perfect wording).

I wouldn't know. The last time I worked for someone else was almost
40 years ago. I started my own business then and ran it until I
retired. Prior to that, I'd never been turned down for a job that I
applied for.

The company I owned grew to over 40 employees, and I did view the
resumes submitted with an eye to their ability to communicate
intelligently in writing and in speech. It wasn't a deciding factor,
but it was a contributing factor. The position involved made a
difference in weighting.

I'd be a bit hesitant to hire someone who doesn't have the initiative
to learn what words mean and would write "suite your case" for
anything more important than warehouse work.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:08:01 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>>Chris is offering opinions on an issue that he has no direct
>>connection to as far as I know.
>
>You are making assumptions to suite your case and ignoring anything that
>does not help. Much like the Catholic church when dealing with
>Pedophile Clergy.

When I say "as far as I know" I am clearly saying that I'm not making
an assumption.

I don't usually discuss what I read in newsgroups with my wife.
However, the other night she came into the room and was reading one of
your posts over my shoulder.

When I explained that you were saying that we are bad parents because
we sent our kids to Catholic schools, that we support pedophilia by
belonging to a parish, and that she was wrong to continue to attend
church, she made some comments.

My wife seldom uses profanity. However, she did come up with some
rather choice words. "Ignorant" was the only printable one.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
wrote:

>You will do anything to avoid the elephant in the room

I have no idea what you mean by this. "The elephant in the room" is a
reference to a major problem or issue that no one is willing to
discuss and that everyone avoids commenting on.

This subject has been discussed to death in this newsgroup. The
subject is all over the media. What is the "elephant in the room"
aspect?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Chris H on
In message <mpt9s5ltd91kjj62t7o1i5ptejvvb59unr(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:08:01 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>wrote:
>
>>>Chris is offering opinions on an issue that he has no direct
>>>connection to as far as I know.
>>
>>You are making assumptions to suite your case and ignoring anything that
>>does not help. Much like the Catholic church when dealing with
>>Pedophile Clergy.
>
>When I say "as far as I know" I am clearly saying that I'm not making
>an assumption.
>
>I don't usually discuss what I read in newsgroups with my wife.
>However, the other night she came into the room and was reading one of
>your posts over my shoulder.
>
>When I explained that you were saying that we are bad parents because
>we sent our kids to Catholic schools, that we support pedophilia by
>belonging to a parish, and that she was wrong to continue to attend
>church, she made some comments.
>
>My wife seldom uses profanity. However, she did come up with some
>rather choice words. "Ignorant" was the only printable one.

Denial....

From: Chris Malcolm on
tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:08:01 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
> wrote:

>>You will do anything to avoid the elephant in the room

> I have no idea what you mean by this. "The elephant in the room" is a
> reference to a major problem or issue that no one is willing to
> discuss and that everyone avoids commenting on.

> This subject has been discussed to death in this newsgroup. The
> subject is all over the media. What is the "elephant in the room"
> aspect?

Some people find some topics of such dreadful import that to mention
anything else after the terrible topic has been raised is so gravely
insulting as to suggest either a serious mental disorder or collusion
with satanic forces.

--
Chris Malcolm