From: tony cooper on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:55:35 GMT, Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org
(GMAN) wrote:

>In article <fh9bs5hhf7v9p6pjqpel0cvn29q06u6tml(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>>On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:27:00 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message <mpt9s5ltd91kjj62t7o1i5ptejvvb59unr(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>>><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>>Denial....
>>
>>"Denial" is refusing to recognize and admit that there is a problem.
>>Both my wife and I recognize and admit that there is a very serious
>>problem. She does not think the solution to the problem is to stop
>>attending the church of her choice or that it in any way contributes
>>to any solution.

>Like either you or your wife had any choice in the matter since your parents
>baptised you as a baby.

That's true. Most Catholics, and most members of all major religions,
are brought up in their religion from childhood on. They become
adherents of the religion before they are mature enough to form their
own opinions. Converts, to any religion, are often more hard-line
than people brought up as part of the religion.

My grandchildren will probably not be Catholic. (Which is fine with
me and fine with my wife) because their parents did not have them
baptised and do not attend church of any kind.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Chris H on
In message <a0fcs5t63k8883v6flj6t2pj0jefilkr3h(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:12:59 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <fh9bs5hhf7v9p6pjqpel0cvn29q06u6tml(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>>"Denial" is refusing to recognize and admit that there is a problem.
>>>Both my wife and I recognize and admit that there is a very serious
>>>problem. She does not think the solution to the problem is to stop
>>>attending the church of her choice or that it in any way contributes
>>>to any solution.
>>
>>Fair enough her church has only had one pedophile in the last 30 years
>>(that you know of) and it protected him. So I suppose all is right with
>>the world if you can turn a blind eye.
>
>As you say, we really don't know if only one was attached to the
>parish. We only learned this long after he was gone. It came up
>because he was exposed in another parish and his history was traced.

This is happening a lot. As the trace back more is being uncovered and
the fact that the bishops and cardinals did know and moved people rather
than inform the police.

>We - my wife and I - don't know if he committed any abuse while
>stationed at our parish. The assumption is he did, but no one has
>come forth and stated so.

Thousands, yes it is many thousands ARE coming forward. The stats were
that abuse was three times higher in the catholic clergy than the
general population and that was before the recent round of revelations
showing many dozens more priest in multiple and serial abuse cases.

Taking into account those who were involved in the cover-up and
protraction of these abusers it is about 25% of the clergy involved
directly or indirectly.

This is why several countries including Ireland are having public
enquires and investigations. I think it is so bad in Germany that they
are removing the statute of limitations on some crimes so the can
prosecute those who committed the crimes in the past but wer protected
by the church for decades.

>According to the limited information released, he wasn't a pedophile.
>He was a sexual abuser of teenaged boys. Pedophilia is abuse of
>children who have not reached the age of puberty.

Equivocation again.

> Personally, I don't
>make a distinction between the two classifications from a morality
>standpoint.

But you just have....

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:38:43 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>Taking into account those who were involved in the cover-up and
>protraction of these abusers it is about 25% of the clergy involved
>directly or indirectly.

Can you provide some site or corroboration of your figure?

The online information that I find put the figure of clergy involved
in pedophilia or hemophilia at no higher than 6%.

A study that found a figure of 25% should be easy to find since it is
significantly higher than other studies. That would be major news.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Chris H on
In message <t6sds5p5rpak68guu8acqv7inp6sq3ond1(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:38:43 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>wrote:
>
>>Taking into account those who were involved in the cover-up and
>>protraction of these abusers it is about 25% of the clergy involved
>>directly or indirectly.
>
>Can you provide some site or corroboration of your figure?
>
>The online information that I find put the figure of clergy involved
>in pedophilia or hemophilia at no higher than 6%.
>
>A study that found a figure of 25% should be easy to find since it is
>significantly higher than other studies. That would be major news.

We event round this loop before but as an apologist for the RC Church
you spit hair and argue every minor point ignoring the major ones. Also
you equivocate and prevaricate and twist everything. As you have done
here. It is not worth doing it again.

As I recall the "no higher" was in fact "at least" and was before most
of the major recent revelations.

The figure for the general population was I think 2% making the Catholic
clergy at least three times the norm but you will (as you have started
to do again, equivocate) I note you say pedophilia or hemophilia. It's
child abuse but you are trying to sub divide to make the peadophilia
number lesser.

Any tactic to ignore that child abuse is endemic and protected in the
catholic church.

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:04:52 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
wrote:

>In message <t6sds5p5rpak68guu8acqv7inp6sq3ond1(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes
>>On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:38:43 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Taking into account those who were involved in the cover-up and
>>>protraction of these abusers it is about 25% of the clergy involved
>>>directly or indirectly.
>>
>>Can you provide some site or corroboration of your figure?
>>
>>The online information that I find put the figure of clergy involved
>>in pedophilia or hemophilia at no higher than 6%.
>>
>>A study that found a figure of 25% should be easy to find since it is
>>significantly higher than other studies. That would be major news.
>
>We event round this loop before but as an apologist for the RC Church
>you spit hair and argue every minor point ignoring the major ones. Also
>you equivocate and prevaricate and twist everything. As you have done
>here. It is not worth doing it again.

In other words, you pulled the 25% figure out of thin air and you are
now equivocating by nattering away about anything but providing a
corroboration of your claim.

>As I recall the "no higher" was in fact "at least" and was before most
>of the major recent revelations.

You "recall", hunh? You mean you recalled your earlier claim in which
you made up the figures?

>The figure for the general population was I think 2% making the Catholic
>clergy at least three times the norm but you will (as you have started
>to do again, equivocate) I note you say pedophilia or hemophilia. It's
>child abuse but you are trying to sub divide to make the peadophilia
>number lesser.

Well, no. I consider pedophilia and hemophilia by priests to be
equally reprehensible, so including both categories increases the
total percentage and makes the case look worse for the church.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida