From: Chris Malcolm on
Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
> In message <ebaur5hbr2v490lfc25elv3eqbls932q1c(a)4ax.com>, James Nagler
> <jnagler(a)spamproofed.net> writes
>>On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 14:05:06 +0100, Chris H <chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
>>
>>>In message <4bbf211c$0$1862$afc38c87(a)news.optusnet.com.au>, Jeff R.
>>><contact(a)this.ng> writes

>>>OK.. So on a point of English definition the Oxford English Dictionary
>>>is out of line...
>>
>>It is. At least it is and has been for the last 10 years. Go back to the
>>digital OED v2 and look up the definition for Pagan. It is complete with
>>full and unbiased etymology. Then look it up in OED v3, it only says, "One
>>who does not worship The One True God." and that is all it says.

> I agree. a Pagan is one who
>>not worship The One True God.

> However it does not define who The One True God is. As far as I know
> *EVERY* Monotheist religion KNOWS ABSOLUTELY they are the only one who
> believe in The One True God..... (and all the others are false)

>>Self-serving biased and proselytizing christians have been editing the OED
>>relentlessly for the last 10 years or more.

> Then there is a real problem. However I doubt that is the case.

>>It is no longer a valid
>>reference source and should never be cited as such.

> I would agree with you. However I can't see the OED getting religious.
> It is more likely some one has hacked the web site.

Just look what Christian hackers did to the Bible!

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Chris H on
In message <82av94Fr96U1(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris Malcolm
<cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> writes
>mmyvusenet <mmyvusenet(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> But for a true Christian the Bible is the Word of God.
>
>Shame about the ghostwriters, the translators, and the theological
>politicians who dumped some of the chapters and "corrected"
>others. But to be fair back in those days hardly anyone could read,
>and reading without moving your lips was considered so unnaturally
>superhuman an ability you were suspected of having made a deal with
>the devil. So God couldn't even use the best writers for his book. No
>wonder it took hundreds of years to write.
>
>I look forward to his next book.

Loved J-C Superstar but I haven't read the book :-)

From: Vance on
On Apr 9, 12:44 am, Chris H <ch...(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
> In message <7essr55vqo2ln3rabv8859jn541a9s8...(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper...(a)earthlink.net> writes
>

> >On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 16:31:26 +0100, Chris H <ch...(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
>
> >>In message <1Amvn.32611$pj7.29...(a)en-nntp-15.dc1.easynews.com>, GMAN
> >><Winniethep...(a)100acrewoods.org> writes

> >>I would not say that. He just will not admit to himself that it is his
> >>own Church that is one of the main single sources of pedophiles globally
> >>and the institution, including his own church covers it up.
>
> >>I don't think you could find any other organisation that has such a high
> >>number or percentage of pedophiles and child abusers.
>
> >Masons?
>
> :-)
>
> The best form of defence is attack and obfuscation? Tony the lapsed
> Cathiolic whose wife and family support a Church and Parish who covered
> up and supported a pedophile now attack another group by way of
> deflection.
>
> No the crime rate (of all types of crime) in the Masons is way lower
> than the general population.
>
> The pedophila rate in the Catholic  Church Clergy was about 3 times
> higher than in the general population before the recent revelations. It
> is now looking to be much higher. And that is without taking into
> account those who directly helped to cover it up.
> --
> \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
> \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills  Staffs  England     /\/\/\/\/

Can you backup your unattributed figure for the prevelance of
pedophilia being 3 times higher in the Catholic Church than the
general population with a credible cite? I'm not interested in what
you believe, what 'everyone knows', etc.

In preparation for something over 600 hours of studying
(professionally) convicted, no doubt about it pedophiles, I did what
any researcher would do and familiarized myself with the literature.
I am not aware of any study in the literature in either the UK or the
US at that time that indicated the level of pedophilia was any higher
in the Catholic Church than in the general population.

So, cite please.

Vance
From: J. Clarke on
On 4/9/2010 12:37 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:46:12 +0100, Chris H<chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
>
>> In message<nsgur5hvk5t0qs2deidk2te5b04aqhmogc(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>> You're a busy man with taking all of those polls on how people react
>>> to photographs of church buildings and other subjects related to the
>>> Catholic church. How much time did it take you to personally
>>> interview thousands of people?
>>
>> You really are stupid... The BBC was talking about it to day on the
>> news. There are thousands of people (UK and Ireland never mind the rest
>> of the world) who are currently talking about their abuse and trying to
>> get something done about it. They associate images of the RC Church with
>> child abuse.
>
> How did you draw the conclusion that the people who are incensed about
> pedophilia in the church are also associating images of Catholic
> church-related things with pedophilia? BBC didn't report that.
>
> Do you want to tell me how the man on the Clapham bus is enraged by
> one of these photos, but not the other?
>
> http://www.cambridge2000.com/cambridge2000/images/0004/P4050456.jpg
> http://lh5.ggpht.com/adrian.oggero/R0DhD_ud3_I/AAAAAAAAFj0/jDN9RE53w4k/s400/060621%20%20Frankfurt,%20Alemania.%20086.jpg
>
>> No... You can't handle reality. We have seen how you twist and turn to
>> be anti Pedophilia but send your children to a Church that supports
>> pedophiles.
>
> All I'm doing is putting your own words up for examination. They fail
> miserably.

If "supporting pedophiles" is a reason to not send your children to
church then it's DAMNED WELL a reason to not send them to school. But
we don't see these same people whining about sexual abuse of students by
school teachers.

From: Chris H on
In message <hpq7a302110(a)news2.newsguy.com>, J. Clarke
<jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> writes
>On 4/9/2010 12:37 PM, tony cooper wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:46:12 +0100, Chris H<chris(a)phaedsys.org> wrote:
>>
>>> In message<nsgur5hvk5t0qs2deidk2te5b04aqhmogc(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
>>> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> writes

>>> You really are stupid... The BBC was talking about it to day on the
>>> news. There are thousands of people (UK and Ireland never mind the rest
>>> of the world) who are currently talking about their abuse and trying to
>>> get something done about it. They associate images of the RC Church with
>>> child abuse.
>>
>> How did you draw the conclusion that the people who are incensed about
>> pedophilia in the church are also associating images of Catholic
>> church-related things with pedophilia? BBC didn't report that.
>>
>> Do you want to tell me how the man on the Clapham bus is enraged by
>> one of these photos, but not the other?
>>
>> http://www.cambridge2000.com/cambridge2000/images/0004/P4050456.jpg
>> http://lh5.ggpht.com/adrian.oggero/R0DhD_ud3_I/AAAAAAAAFj0/jDN9RE53w4
>>k/s400/060621%20%20Frankfurt,%20Alemania.%20086.jpg
>>
>>> No... You can't handle reality. We have seen how you twist and turn to
>>> be anti Pedophilia but send your children to a Church that supports
>>> pedophiles.
>>
>> All I'm doing is putting your own words up for examination. They fail
>> miserably.
>
>If "supporting pedophiles" is a reason to not send your children to
>church then it's DAMNED WELL a reason to not send them to school. But
>we don't see these same people whining about sexual abuse of students
>by school teachers.

The difference is that the incidents among teachers is far lower than
the Catholic clergy and when caught the teachers get prosecuted. The
Priests get protected and moved to new places