From: terryc on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:09:19 +1000, asdf wrote:

> Coach wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 5:23 pm, Brad <goog...(a)vk2qq.com> wrote:

>> You are comparing PAYG employees with companies. Companies pay a max
>> of 30 percent. PAYG taxpayers are on a sliding scale. So if you are
>> on an awful, awful lot, you are better off being a company.
>
> Precisely.

Except ATO have now woken up to that arrangement and look very closely at
what you are paid to deliver and how much of it is just your personal
exertion.

> ...and then of course it's entirely possible to reduce that 30% to
> almost nothing.

Easier said then done.

From: asdf on
terryc wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:09:19 +1000, asdf wrote:
>
>> Coach wrote:
>>> On Apr 19, 5:23 pm, Brad <goog...(a)vk2qq.com> wrote:
>
>>> You are comparing PAYG employees with companies. Companies pay a
>>> max of 30 percent. PAYG taxpayers are on a sliding scale. So if
>>> you are on an awful, awful lot, you are better off being a company.
>>
>> Precisely.
>
> Except ATO have now woken up to that arrangement and look very
> closely at what you are paid to deliver and how much of it is just
> your personal exertion.
>>
>> ...and then of course it's entirely possible to reduce that 30% to
>> almost nothing.
>
> Easier said then done.

....but possible if you have enough money to pay someone to pursue that goal.

From: terryc on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:31:12 +1000, asdf wrote:

> terryc wrote:

>>> Precisely.
>>
>> Except ATO have now woken up to that arrangement and look very closely
>> at what you are paid to deliver and how much of it is just your
>> personal exertion.
>>>
>>> ...and then of course it's entirely possible to reduce that 30% to
>>> almost nothing.
>>
>> Easier said then done.
>
> ...but possible if you have enough money to pay someone to pursue that
> goal.

Sadly, not feasible for many people.
Most investigate the latest offset and if you are real desperate and just
love risky gambles, some loss making investment scheme, like vineyards,
forestry, etc.

I've only met one self-employed person who had a guaranteed scheme to not
pay any tax and once he had exhausted all the repairs, upgrades, super
allowances, etc, he simply stopped working for the rest of the year.
Basically, if his accountant let him pay tax any year, then he ceased to
be his accountant.

From: asdf on
Brad wrote:
> On Apr 19, 4:21 pm, "asdf" <a...(a)nowhere.nowhere> wrote:
>
>> Unless, of course you earn an awful, awful lot, in which case you
>> pay nearly no tax. Witness Kerry, who took the tax department to
>> court over a tax bill of a few hundred dollars.... and won - at
>> taxpayers' expense- tens of thousands of dollars.
>
> That's not entirely true. He had paid all the tax that was owing. This
> was an additional levy by the ATO that was disputed as being
> incorrect.

Regardless, he pissed on the Australian people by fighting it out in court.
It was only a few hundred bucks, yet he wasted tens of thousands of public
money dragging it through the courts.

From: asdf on
Coach wrote:
> On Apr 19, 5:23 pm, Brad <goog...(a)vk2qq.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 19, 4:21 pm, "asdf" <a...(a)nowhere.nowhere> wrote:
>>
>>> Unless, of course you earn an awful, awful lot, in which case you
>>> pay nearly no tax. Witness Kerry, who took the tax department to
>>> court over a tax bill of a few hundred dollars.... and won - at
>>> taxpayers' expense- tens of thousands of dollars.
>>
>> That's not entirely true. He had paid all the tax that was owing.
>> This was an additional levy by the ATO that was disputed as being
>> incorrect.
>
> You are comparing PAYG employees with companies. Companies pay a max
> of 30 percent. PAYG taxpayers are on a sliding scale. So if you are
> on an awful, awful lot, you are better off being a company.

Precisely.

....and then of course it's entirely possible to reduce that 30% to almost
nothing.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: computer projector to match the screen?
Next: Paypal