From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 14, 11:28 am, "Eric J. Holtman" <e...(a)ericholtman.com> wrote:
> Ted <usern...(a)isp.net.invalid> wrote innews:PM00047F82B5284B3E(a)Fred.hsd1.mn.comcast.net:
>
> > I won't be putting anything of true personal
> > value in the cloud.
>
> Like it's not there already?
>
> Where do you think the information comes from when
> you do a One Step Update?

Well, on this one I can see his point. The ids and passwords are on my
desktop and only go out to the single FI where an aggregator like Mint
or Yodlee has all your passwords and user ids. I can see it but I
don't much agree with it. I know of FIs that have been hacked but
never have heard of Mint or Yodlee being hacked. Of course, just
because I haven't died yet does not mean it won't happen.

I'm more worried about my bank putting my account number on my paper
statement than I am someone hacking Quicken online/Mint.
From: Notan on
On 2/14/2010 9:36 AM, Mr.Jan wrote:
> On Feb 14, 11:28 am, "Eric J. Holtman"<e...(a)ericholtman.com> wrote:
>> Ted<usern...(a)isp.net.invalid> wrote innews:PM00047F82B5284B3E(a)Fred.hsd1.mn.comcast.net:
>>
>>> I won't be putting anything of true personal
>>> value in the cloud.
>>
>> Like it's not there already?
>>
>> Where do you think the information comes from when
>> you do a One Step Update?
>
> Well, on this one I can see his point. The ids and passwords are on my
> desktop and only go out to the single FI where an aggregator like Mint
> or Yodlee has all your passwords and user ids. I can see it but I
> don't much agree with it. I know of FIs that have been hacked but
> never have heard of Mint or Yodlee being hacked. Of course, just
> because I haven't died yet does not mean it won't happen.
>
> I'm more worried about my bank putting my account number on my paper
> statement than I am someone hacking Quicken online/Mint.

You're more worried about someone having your account number than you
are your account number and account password?
From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 14, 12:11 pm, Notan <notan(a)addressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
> On 2/14/2010 9:36 AM, Mr.Jan wrote:

> >> Like it's not there already?
>
> >> Where do you think the information comes from when
> >> you do a One Step Update?
>
> > Well, on this one I can see his point. The ids and passwords are on my
> > desktop and only go out to the single FI where an aggregator like Mint
> > or Yodlee has all your passwords and user ids. I can see it but I
> > don't much agree with it.  I know of FIs that have been hacked but
> > never have heard of Mint or Yodlee being hacked. Of course, just
> > because I haven't died yet does not mean it won't happen.
>
> > I'm more worried about my bank putting my account number on my paper
> > statement than I am someone hacking Quicken online/Mint.
>
> You're more worried about someone having your account number than you
> are your account number and account password?

I may have misled you. Let me restate that. Of all the ways a person
could access my financial account, I believe harvesting an account
number from a paper statement is far more likely than that person
being able to hack into any of the online financial account
aggregators. I always use Mint (Quicken), Yodlee, and Geezeo as I am
familiar with those. Obviously, the person attempting to access my
account would have a much easier time of it if he/she had my logon id
and password (not so much the account number). The risk, to me, is
greater from that person getting my account number and spoofing the
institution into giving him access. The easiest way to get the account
number, is to go through my trash.
From: PhilD on

"Mr.Jan" <jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Feb 14, 9:11 am, dieHard� <dieH...(a)msn.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 04:58:33 -0800 (PST), "Mr.Jan"
>
> <jan.hertz...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have no worries about someone accessing the summary of information
> >with an online Quicken.
>
> Your Quicken records are more than just a "summary".
> If you're not worried about someone hacking your personal financial
> information including all your records, transactions, bank info and
> account numbers, then by all means, go for

+You raise a good point about the account numbers. I have been using
+Yodlee, Mint, and Geezeo for years now with no issues. I think Yodlee
+has the better platform but Mint has some nice features and Geezeo is
+just more hands on. Since Mint will be the basis of the new Quicken
+online, I did a quick check and I liked what I saw. Yes, this is a
+trust issue. I have it and you don't. Fair enough. I do lots of
+transactions online and donate money through the internet as well. I
+guess I am just more comfortable. I also keep a very close watch on
+things. I also like Mint's option to be notified when a transaction is
+processed. Keeps my accounts safer.

+Mint provides bank-level data security for the transaction information
+we store.
+
+ * Mint.com always transmits personal and financial information
+securely.
+ * We store transaction information in a secure facility, on
+our own servers, protected by 24/7 security guards and biometric
+scanners.
+ * All our employees pass financial and criminal background
+checks as a condition of employment.
+ * All our employees pass background checks as a condition of
+employment.
+ * The Mint.com website has received the VeriSign security seal
and is tested daily by Hackersafe.
+ * Our privacy protection standards are certified by TRUSTe.
+ * We subscribe to an anti-phishing service to discover and
+take-down malicious sites intended to fool our customers.
+
And if you believe and trust all that, then I have a coathanger shaped
bridge in Sydney for sale and some Nigerians would like to talk to you.

PhilD

From: Mel on

> The current QOL version is dreadful and Mint.Com, which Intuit
> recently purchased, is pretty basic. I love my desktop version of
> Quicken but I use multiple computers and have to carry my Quicken file
> on a memory stick.
>
> Moving to the cloud is the right way to go.

My financial life compiled anywhere but my computer under my control?
NOT GONNA HAPPEN even if I have to go to off-line entries.
Mel

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: UNMATCH NEAR MATCH??