From: Mr.Jan on
The current QOL version is dreadful and Mint.Com, which Intuit
recently purchased, is pretty basic. I love my desktop version of
Quicken but I use multiple computers and have to carry my Quicken file
on a memory stick.

Moving to the cloud is the right way to go.
From: RichardF on
On Feb 13, 9:26 am, "Mr.Jan" <jan.hertz...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The current QOL version is dreadful and Mint.Com, which Intuit
> recently purchased, is pretty basic. ... Moving to the cloud
> is the right way to go.
_______________

If the relatively slow access time to your data, and possible site
hackers/data pilferers don't bother you :)
From: Ted on
Mr.Jan wrote:
> The current QOL version is dreadful and Mint.Com, which Intuit
> recently purchased, is pretty basic. I love my desktop version of
> Quicken but I use multiple computers and have to carry my Quicken file
> on a memory stick.
>
> Moving to the cloud is the right way to go.

The right way to go for you maybe, but not for me.

I'm not at all interested in keeping my entire portfolio of personal financial
information on somebody else's computer. Too many companies have their
systems hacked, broken into, and data stolen because of poor design, weak
security, or poor processes.

And if mint.com has a disk crash or a system failure, you better hope they
have good backups and can recover your Quicken data file.

I work in the information security industry and see this all too frequently.
No thanks. I won't be putting anything of true personal value in the cloud.

From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 13, 5:16 pm, Ted <usern...(a)isp.net.invalid> wrote:
> Mr.Jan wrote:
> > The current QOL version is dreadful and Mint.Com, which Intuit
> > recently purchased, is pretty basic.  I love my desktop version of
> > Quicken but I use multiple computers and have to carry my Quicken file
> > on a memory stick.
>
> > Moving to the cloud is the right way to go.
>
> The right way to go for you maybe, but not for me.
>
> I'm not at all interested in keeping my entire portfolio of personal financial
> information on somebody else's computer.  Too many companies have their
> systems hacked, broken into, and data stolen because of poor design, weak
> security, or poor processes.
>
> And if mint.com has a disk crash or a system failure, you better hope they
> have good backups and can recover your Quicken data file.
>
> I work in the information security industry and see this all too frequently.
> No thanks.  I won't be putting anything of true personal value in the cloud.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---

I have no worries about someone accessing the summary of information
with an online Quicken. That is a reporting tool. What I worry about
is someone cracking my brokerage or bank directly. That is one of the
reasons I download and check Quicken every day to see if there is any
odd activity. Over the years, I have been hit a couple of times but
never through my Quicken account. They were duplicate charges or
charges for things above and beyond what I ordered. If you are in
information security, you know the biggest risk is talking someone
into giving you their password.

As far as a crash and backups, Quicken is a reporting tool and I can
reconstruct the data. I am, again, more worried that my brokerage or
bank will crash and lose the source records.
From: dieHard� on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 04:58:33 -0800 (PST), "Mr.Jan"
<jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I have no worries about someone accessing the summary of information
>with an online Quicken.

Your Quicken records are more than just a "summary".
If you're not worried about someone hacking your personal financial
information including all your records, transactions, bank info and
account numbers, then by all means, go for it.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: UNMATCH NEAR MATCH??
Next: Q2010 Backup Files