From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 20, 6:02 pm, Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
> On 2/20/2010 3:55 PM, Mr.Jan wrote:

> >> What about the folks at Mint.com?
>
> >> While the site currently does not allow any payments, transfers, etc.
> >> to be made, the information you've supplied is the same that *can* be
> >> used for such transactions, should it fall into the wrong hands.
>
> > So you assume a rogue employee at Mint.com (about to be Quicken
> > online) will steal your login information?  Interesting but not the
> > point of what I was saying.  My concern has always been the more
> > likely scenario that my password is compromised.  That could be as
> > simple as someone looking over my shoulder when I am momentarily not
> > paying attention. In that event, they would only see the information I
> > mentioned above.
>
> > Mint does background checks on their employees just like your bank and
> > encrypts all the information you pass along. This isn't exactly
> > available to the night cleaning staff.
>
> You've got a lot more faith in the unknown than I do.

Not so much unknown. I read the information they post explaining the
security they have in place and I have some faith that they are
telling me the truth. Sooner or later somebody is going to figure out
a way of hacking them. Look what happened to banks when they first
went online. Still, somebody out there is not mailing his or her bills
because they don't trust the letter carrier. Sometimes, they are
right!
From: Notan on
On 2/20/2010 4:19 PM, Mr.Jan wrote:
> On Feb 20, 6:02 pm, Notan<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

>>> So you assume a rogue employee at Mint.com (about to be Quicken
>>> online) will steal your login information? Interesting but not the
>>> point of what I was saying. My concern has always been the more
>>> likely scenario that my password is compromised. That could be as
>>> simple as someone looking over my shoulder when I am momentarily not
>>> paying attention. In that event, they would only see the information I
>>> mentioned above.
>>
>>> Mint does background checks on their employees just like your bank and
>>> encrypts all the information you pass along. This isn't exactly
>>> available to the night cleaning staff.
>>
>> You've got a lot more faith in the unknown than I do.
>
> Not so much unknown. I read the information they post explaining the
> security they have in place and I have some faith that they are
> telling me the truth. Sooner or later somebody is going to figure out
> a way of hacking them. Look what happened to banks when they first
> went online. Still, somebody out there is not mailing his or her bills
> because they don't trust the letter carrier. Sometimes, they are
> right!

While Intuit might be well established as far as good security goes,
the cloud isn't.

For the foreseeable future, I'll keep my financial data on the ground.

--

Notan
From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 20, 6:30 pm, Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
> On 2/20/2010 4:19 PM, Mr.Jan wrote:

> >> You've got a lot more faith in the unknown than I do.
>
> > Not so much unknown.  I read the information they post explaining the
> > security they have in place and I have some faith that they are
> > telling me the truth. Sooner or later somebody is going to figure out
> > a way of hacking them.  Look what happened to banks when they first
> > went online. Still, somebody out there is not mailing his or her bills
> > because they don't trust the letter carrier.  Sometimes, they are
> > right!
>
> While Intuit might be well established as far as good security goes,
> the cloud isn't.
>
> For the foreseeable future, I'll keep my financial data on the ground.
>
> --
>
> Notan

I understand completely. One can only do what one is comfortable
doing. I have found a couple of things to be changed based on our
discussions but internet security is a never changing process. Thanks
From: Notan on
On 2/20/2010 7:25 PM, Mr.Jan wrote:
> On Feb 20, 6:30 pm, Notan<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

>>> Not so much unknown. I read the information they post explaining the
>>> security they have in place and I have some faith that they are
>>> telling me the truth. Sooner or later somebody is going to figure out
>>> a way of hacking them. Look what happened to banks when they first
>>> went online. Still, somebody out there is not mailing his or her bills
>>> because they don't trust the letter carrier. Sometimes, they are
>>> right!
>>
>> While Intuit might be well established as far as good security goes,
>> the cloud isn't.
>>
>> For the foreseeable future, I'll keep my financial data on the ground.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Notan
>
> I understand completely. One can only do what one is comfortable
> doing. I have found a couple of things to be changed based on our
> discussions but internet security is a never changing process. Thanks

"a never changing process" or "an ever changing process?"
From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 20, 9:29 pm, Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:
> On 2/20/2010 7:25 PM, Mr.Jan wrote:

> >> While Intuit might be well established as far as good security goes,
> >> the cloud isn't.
>
> >> For the foreseeable future, I'll keep my financial data on the ground.
>
> >> --
>
> >> Notan
>
> > I understand completely.  One can only do what one is comfortable
> > doing.  I have found a couple of things to be changed based on our
> > discussions but internet security is a never changing process. Thanks
>
> "a never changing process" or "an ever changing process?"

Ah. You have caught me with a typo. I am so embarrassed. That single
typo could have cause millions of our readers to lapse into
complacency thinking that internet security never changed and they
were, therefore, perpetually safe by doing nothing! I meant ever
changing, and that was a very good catch! Thank you.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: UNMATCH NEAR MATCH??
Next: Q2010 Backup Files