From: Andrew on
Mr.Jan wrote:

> ... The easiest way to get the account number, is to go through my trash.

It's printed on every check you write and anyone who processes the paperwork
or has access to systems can see it.

Additionally, in my credit union, account numbers are (or were, I am
presuming they've perhaps changed this by now) created by employee IDs, so I
can usually figure out anyone's checking and savings account numbers at our
CU simply by looking them up on a system totally independent of the CU.

Regards -

- Andrew

From: dieHard� on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 06:53:23 -0800 (PST), "Mr.Jan"
<jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>You raise a good point about the account numbers. I have been using
>Yodlee, Mint, and Geezeo for years now with no issues. I think Yodlee
>has the better platform but Mint has some nice features and Geezeo is
>just more hands on. Since Mint will be the basis of the new Quicken
>online, I did a quick check and I liked what I saw. Yes, this is a
>trust issue. I have it and you don't. Fair enough. I do lots of
>transactions online and donate money through the internet as well. I
>guess I am just more comfortable. I also keep a very close watch on
>things. I also like Mint's option to be notified when a transaction is
>processed. Keeps my accounts safer.

It definitely is a trust issue, and you're correct, I don't trust
online storage, or more precisely the nameless, faceless,
no-accountability people who are on the other end.

I had an incident a few years ago where all my medical records (along
with some financial info) were compromised.
I had knee replacement surgery and as part of the therapy the hospital
sent a therapist to my house for the first 3 weeks until I was well
enough to travel to therapy on my own. The nurse who showed up came
with a hospital laptop containing all my info. This laptop was
equipped with all of the recommended encryption and password
protection, I know because I asked.
What I didn't know was that this nurse would go home that night, fire
the laptop up and begin to enter the day's notes. Then, right in the
middle of it, she decides to go out, and she leaves the laptop turned
on with all of the passwords and security bypassed. Don't you know
she has a break-in and the laptop gets stolen?

The hassle they put me through was incredible - and if you've ever had
to defend yourself against identity theft you know what I mean.
First of all they didn't even tell me about it until about two weeks
after it happened - even then it was probably only because some legal
consultant told them to.

For starters, I had to close my years old checking and savings
accounts and open new ones.
Then I had to go to the big three credit reporting agencies and issue
identity theft alerts, which I had to renew after three months.
IOW, they did nothing for me (except send me a lame form letter
apology), while I had to do all the work to make it right.

I will never voluntarily put that kind of trust into another persons
hands, especially when it comes to some of my most personal private
information, like all of my financial records.

Anyone who would, would probably think nothing of tossing old tax
returns into their weekly garbage pick-up either.
From: dieHard� on
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 08:36:21 -0800 (PST), "Mr.Jan"
<jan.hertzsch(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 14, 11:28�am, "Eric J. Holtman" <e...(a)ericholtman.com> wrote:
>> Ted <usern...(a)isp.net.invalid> wrote innews:PM00047F82B5284B3E(a)Fred.hsd1.mn.comcast.net:
>>
>> > I won't be putting anything of true personal
>> > value in the cloud.
>>
>> Like it's not there already?
>>
>> Where do you think the information comes from when
>> you do a One Step Update?
>
>Well, on this one I can see his point. The ids and passwords are on my
>desktop and only go out to the single FI where an aggregator like Mint
>or Yodlee has all your passwords and user ids. I can see it but I
>don't much agree with it. I know of FIs that have been hacked but
>never have heard of Mint or Yodlee being hacked. Of course, just
>because I haven't died yet does not mean it won't happen.
>
>I'm more worried about my bank putting my account number on my paper
>statement than I am someone hacking Quicken online/Mint.

that's what shredders are for...
From: Han on
dieHard� <dieHard(a)msn.com> wrote in news:d6hin59d8851katba1bueaufhf0nsd8u42
@4ax.com:

> I had an incident a few years ago where all my medical records (along
> with some financial info) were compromised.

Wasn't the employer of the therapist responsible for clearing this up,
including reimbursing you for your expenses? I know this sounds like a
legal question, but that is how I might have approached it. I hope it
never happens to me ...

--
Best regards
Han
From: JimH on
Han wrote:
> dieHard� <dieHard(a)msn.com> wrote in news:d6hin59d8851katba1bueaufhf0nsd8u42
> @4ax.com:
>
>> I had an incident a few years ago where all my medical records (along
>> with some financial info) were compromised.
>
> Wasn't the employer of the therapist responsible for clearing this up,
> including reimbursing you for your expenses? I know this sounds like a
> legal question, but that is how I might have approached it. I hope it
> never happens to me ...

Then, you have to trust the person who screwed it up, to fix it. Not likely!
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: UNMATCH NEAR MATCH??
Next: Q2010 Backup Files