From: Indi on
On 2010-05-14, Mike Scott <usenet.12(a)spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:

> Overall, not easy. But something fundamental like a fatal fault when
> booting shouldn't be too hard to avoid. If a machine comes up at all,
> you can usually at least try something with it; if booting fails,
> well...... But I may take another look when I have some time (or 8.1
> appears; .0 versions are always dubious!)

That is frustrating.
Maybe a matter of passing some boot args?

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: hotfoot on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 09:47:58 -0700, Patrick Scheible wrote:

> To some extent. I'm using PCBSD 7.1.1. It's okay... except Firefox
> from the PBI has mysterious 2-minute pauses every so often.

You might try compacting Firefox's sqlite databases and see if the
problem goes away. If it does, you'll want to compact them now and then
to keep it from reappearing. A websearch for 'firefox sqlite vacuum'
will turn up plenty of howto's.

From: Mike Scott on
Indi wrote:
> On 2010-05-14, Mike Scott <usenet.12(a)spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:
>> Overall, not easy. But something fundamental like a fatal fault when
>> booting shouldn't be too hard to avoid. If a machine comes up at all,
>> you can usually at least try something with it; if booting fails,
>> well...... But I may take another look when I have some time (or 8.1
>> appears; .0 versions are always dubious!)
>>

> That is frustrating.
> Maybe a matter of passing some boot args?

Maybe; hopefully even :-)

But I'll keep it on the backburner for now; thanks though.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England