From: Indi on
On 2010-05-09, Balwinder S Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM(a)anu.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On 05/09/2010 09:50 PM, Indi wrote:

>>> Apparently i am beating you, i began using FreeBSD with the 2.2.5 in
>>> 1997.
>>>

>> It seems you're very concerned that everyone knows you're not merely
>> another user who wants big change, but a Very Important Long Time user
>> who wants big change.
>>
>> But frankly, you come off as someone who was doing alright until you
>> made the mistake of buying some hardware without checking whether or
>> not it was suitable for use with FreeBSD and then you went into tantrum
>> mode. Or worse, someone just telling stories.
>>
>> If you're so happy with Ubuntu, I don't see why you're so determined to
>> sit around here running down FreeBSD. Makes you look like a troll,
>> really...
>
> Please not, that calling someone, to whom you don't know, merely by
> guesswork is a sheer foolishness and that too publically.

I think "by a preponderance of evidence" is more accurate than "by
guesswork" in this case. In any event, he is clearly desperate to
sell a story which is OT here.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 05/09/2010 03:45 PM, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Sun, 09 May 2010 11:07:44 +0100, Chronos wrote:
>
>> Exactly what I do. Granted, I'm an atypical user and I have a fairly
>> well specified tinderbox system that can build OOo with localisation in
>> 2 hours or thereabouts, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility to
>> use NFS to distribute packages built with a single high spec desktop
>> machine and one of the ports management utilities. That's the beauty of
>> the ports system: It works in many scenarios where a package manager
>> would fall flat.
>
> That's pretty well what I do, too. I have a high spec machine that
> manages all of the ports, as well as buildworlds for nanoBSD etc.
>
> And I've been using FreeBSD since 2.1.something...and UNIX since 1976...

Where are the numbers; are your own compiled OOo, QT4, KDE and, or GNOME
on FreeBSD much more efficient than the pre-build and signed binary
packages of Debian and, or Ubuntu?

If not or if the difference is not distinguishable enough, why waste CPU
cycles, disk IO, bandwidth and, or electricity?

In case you really want to do some fine-tuning and build the same or
similar packages on Debian and, or Ubuntu also; provided you are willing
to learn and, or do it.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: Balwinder S Dheeman on

I think, you have not read http://bit.ly/8Be1np

From: Indi on
On 2010-05-09, Balwinder S Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM(a)anu.homelinux.net> wrote:

>>> Please not, that calling someone, to whom you don't know, merely by
>>> guesswork is a sheer foolishness and that too publically.
>>>

>> I think "by a preponderance of evidence" is more accurate than "by
>> guesswork" in this case. In any event, he is clearly desperate to
>> sell a story which is OT here.
>
> I think, you have not read http://bit.ly/8Be1np

Oh, how the mighty have fallen!
From writing FBSD documentation to trolling usenet as an Ubuntu user.
Very sad.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Indi on
On 2010-05-09, Balwinder S Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM(a)anu.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On 05/09/2010 03:45 PM, Bob Eager wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 May 2010 11:07:44 +0100, Chronos wrote:
>>
>>> Exactly what I do. Granted, I'm an atypical user and I have a fairly
>>> well specified tinderbox system that can build OOo with localisation in
>>> 2 hours or thereabouts, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility to
>>> use NFS to distribute packages built with a single high spec desktop
>>> machine and one of the ports management utilities. That's the beauty of
>>> the ports system: It works in many scenarios where a package manager
>>> would fall flat.
>>
>> That's pretty well what I do, too. I have a high spec machine that
>> manages all of the ports, as well as buildworlds for nanoBSD etc.
>>
>> And I've been using FreeBSD since 2.1.something...and UNIX since 1976...
>
> Where are the numbers; are your own compiled OOo, QT4, KDE and, or GNOME
> on FreeBSD much more efficient than the pre-build and signed binary
> packages of Debian and, or Ubuntu?
>
> If not or if the difference is not distinguishable enough, why waste CPU
> cycles, disk IO, bandwidth and, or electricity?
>
> In case you really want to do some fine-tuning and build the same or
> similar packages on Debian and, or Ubuntu also; provided you are willing
> to learn and, or do it.

All that is completely beside the point.
No-one here has told anyone "you must use FBSD". What we have here
are a couple of disgruntled *former* users (by their own admission)
telling *us* that FBSD is inadequate because it isn't more like some
other OS. Regardless of who they may have been once in the community,
today they are posting as cranks. I suggest you read the thread from
the beginning, and you will easily see that.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last