From: Michel Talon on
Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
> OpenSuse is *much* better if you need to use a Linux which is GUI-oriented,
> that's what I put my non-geek users on.

I have been told that by several people, personnally i prefer Debian
style linuxes, that is Ubuntu for desktop and Debian for servers. I
have seen none of the problems you mention with Ubuntu. In my lab there
are a lot of Fedora machines, they are not bad nowadays. And for sure
the USB driver works here :(

> Sounds like you just aren't very good at using FreeBSD, frankly. I
> have very little trouble doing everything with it. But I admit, it
> does require a higher level of knowledge than a lot of other OSes. For
> me the learning curve was worth it because now I reap the reward of
> running a fast, secure, ultra-stable system which does everything I
> ask of it.

You will come back at me when you will have years of experience with
FreeBSD like me, including writing my own package management system for
FreeBSD. At present the only people that i have seen vocally
enthusiastic about the ports system are either newbies or sysadmins who
run servers with very few installed packages. On the other hand i see
more and more of the most prolific FreeBSD source committers complaining
that it is a mess, of course written in the mailing lists where anybody
can read it. And by the way, "fast, secure, ultra stable" you probably
never read the mailing lists. The reality is that there is not a single
release branch stabilized before going to a newer branch, and i have
not seen a single benchmark where FreeBSD is faster than Linux. For the
security i will concede that, being such a small target for hackers,
there are not a lot of exploits. This being said FreeBSD has some very
fine subsystems, otherwise i would have dropped it long ago. For example
GEOM, ZFS, Netgraph, etc. Also having the source of the base system
always at hand is very convenient.

--

Michel TALON

From: Frédéric Perrin on
Bob Eager <rde42(a)spamcop.net> writes:
> On Sat, 08 May 2010 19:29:39 +0200, Frédéric Perrin wrote:
>> Ubuntu has binary packages for OO.o. People don't need to build
>> OO.o on Ubuntu. When the user wants to install that, it only takes
>> as long as downloading tens of MB of bloat (and extracting the
>> packages, but that fast in comparison). On FreeBSD, you have to
>> compile 1.9GB of C++ ! There are only amd64 packages, no i386 or
>> other archs last time I looked.
>
> I've installed it from packages in the past. As it happens, last
> time I built it very soon after a new port appeared, so I wasn't
> expecting a pre- built package.

Pray tell me, where are the packages for OOo ? I couldn't find them
there :

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.0-release/editors/

And in packages-8-stable, you can only find a 2.4 version (that's from
2008!).

> You (and Mr Talon) have omitted to mention that, yes, you have to
> download the source. And it takes a long time to build.

That was entirely my point. Actually, "it takes a long time" is an
understatement: it takes so many resources (hard disk space) that I
couldn't de it on my laptop.

> But it is as
> simple as typing 'make'.

And that's why I'm very happy with FreeBSD for my server. But for a
personal machine, compiling stuff is a PITA.

--
Fred
From: John Levine on
>> I've installed it from packages in the past. As it happens, last
>> time I built it very soon after a new port appeared, so I wasn't
>> expecting a pre- built package.
>
>Pray tell me, where are the packages for OOo ? I couldn't find them
>there :

For some reason they're here:

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/FreeBSD/

I agree that they're not as up to date as you might hope if your laptop
isn't an amd64.

R's,
John
From: Indi on
On 2010-05-08, Michel Talon <talon(a)lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> You will come back at me when you will have years of experience with
> FreeBSD like me, including writing my own package management system for
> FreeBSD. At present the only people that i have seen vocally
> enthusiastic about the ports system are either newbies or sysadmins who
> run servers with very few installed packages.

Using it as my primary (usually sole) OS since 2004. Maybe I should
point out that I'm not a lover of full-bloat DEs, I like using wmii
with a lot of small utilities which I script together to make my
desktop useful. Possibly for people who demand G or K with automagic
everything, FBSD is not so hot? I wouldn't know. The bloatiest thing I
(am forced to) use would be OO.o, which BTW is really quite fast on
this machine -- it sure was slow on Ubuntu when I tested it though.

> On the other hand i see more and more of the most prolific FreeBSD
> source committers complaining that it is a mess, of course written in
> the mailing lists where anybody can read it. And by the way, "fast,
> secure, ultra stable" you probably never read the mailing lists.

That would be an incorrect assumption.
Obviously committers come and go, some of them bite off more than they
can chew and get overwhelmed. And a lot of modern software is a lot to
handle, no doubt. We did just go through a period of instability which
was predicted to last for 10 days but acually dragged on for over a month,
but all that time it was possible to get earlier snapshots and carry on
as usual. I just don't see much merit to the claim "ports is a mess",
unless maybe it's all about gnome and/or kde, which I do tend to avoid.

> The reality is that there is not a single release branch stabilized
> before going to a newer branch,

That has not been true at all for me, with the exception of the 5.x
release series.

> and i have not seen a single benchmark where FreeBSD is faster than
> Linux.

I don't know about benchmarks, but my subjective experience has been
that FreeBSD is *way* faster than Ubuntu, definitely faster than
openSuse as well. I can't claim to have experience with every Linux
distro, but the only one I found that was as fast was Gentoo.

> For the security i will concede that, being such a small target for
> hackers, there are not a lot of exploits.

A *lot* of the web is powered by FreeBSD.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Indi on
On 2010-05-08, Fr??d??ric Perrin <fred(a)resel.fr> wrote:

> That was entirely my point. Actually, "it takes a long time" is an
> understatement: it takes so many resources (hard disk space) that I
> couldn't de it on my laptop.

For those times when you can't find the version you want in pkg form,
you can always build it on another machine then use pkg_create and
install on the lower spec machine. Or ask around nicely, someone
somewhere probably has a package you can get. But one pattern I see
often is people complain in such a disagreeable manner that they come
off as a bit trollish. Then understandably, no-one feels terribly
motivated to help them.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: Failed opal3 build
Next: MPT Timeouts on FreeBSD 8.0 VM