From: Bob Melson on
On Sunday 09 May 2010 13:58, Indi (indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu)
opined:

> On 2010-05-09, Balwinder S Dheeman <bsd.SANSPAM(a)anu.homelinux.net> wrote:

>>> That's pretty well what I do, too. I have a high spec machine that
>>> manages all of the ports, as well as buildworlds for nanoBSD etc.
>>>
>>> And I've been using FreeBSD since 2.1.something...and UNIX since
>>> 1976...
>>
>> Where are the numbers; are your own compiled OOo, QT4, KDE and, or GNOME
>> on FreeBSD much more efficient than the pre-build and signed binary
>> packages of Debian and, or Ubuntu?
>>
>> If not or if the difference is not distinguishable enough, why waste CPU
>> cycles, disk IO, bandwidth and, or electricity?
>>
>> In case you really want to do some fine-tuning and build the same or
>> similar packages on Debian and, or Ubuntu also; provided you are willing
>> to learn and, or do it.
>>

> All that is completely beside the point.
> No-one here has told anyone "you must use FBSD". What we have here
> are a couple of disgruntled *former* users (by their own admission)
> telling *us* that FBSD is inadequate because it isn't more like some
> other OS. Regardless of who they may have been once in the community,
> today they are posting as cranks. I suggest you read the thread from
> the beginning, and you will easily see that.
>
> --
> Caveat utilitor,
> indi

Let's face it, we all have some point of dissatisfaction with FBSD - the
increasing, ummm, clumsiness of the ports subsystem, packages often
woefully behind, the tangled dependencies. None of that makes the o/s
unusable or worse than <insert_name_of_choice_here>. Each of us has some
reason he likes/prefers FBSD over some other o/s, some purely subjective,
some arrived at objectively. Because _I_ like FBSD is no reason _you_
have to, nor the converse.

For those who, for whatever reason, have chosen to, or must, run some other
o/s, I say bravo for you. That's _your_ opinion, _your_ need, not mine.
Yes, I've pissed and moaned about some of FBSD's recent shortcomings;
overall, however, there is NO alternative o/s that I've tried that I would
use in preference - and some I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot (3-meter)
pole.

So, let's have an end to this, agree to disagree, and go on with life as we
find it.

Bob Melson
FBSD since 2.1.7

-----
Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

From: Indi on
On 2010-05-09, Bob Melson <amia9018(a)mypacks.net> wrote:

> Let's face it, we all have some point of dissatisfaction with FBSD - the
> increasing, ummm, clumsiness of the ports subsystem, packages often
> woefully behind, the tangled dependencies. None of that makes the o/s
> unusable or worse than <insert_name_of_choice_here>. Each of us has some
> reason he likes/prefers FBSD over some other o/s, some purely subjective,
> some arrived at objectively. Because _I_ like FBSD is no reason _you_
> have to, nor the converse.
>
> For those who, for whatever reason, have chosen to, or must, run some other
> o/s, I say bravo for you. That's _your_ opinion, _your_ need, not mine.
> Yes, I've pissed and moaned about some of FBSD's recent shortcomings;
> overall, however, there is NO alternative o/s that I've tried that I would
> use in preference - and some I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot (3-meter)
> pole.
>
> So, let's have an end to this, agree to disagree, and go on with life as we
> find it.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree. In fact I don't really care
what OS other people want to use. But I do take exception when someone
tells me my personal experience is "bullshit" and then makes wild,
unfounded assertions disparaging my OS of choice (which is precisely
what Mr Talon did).

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Bob Eager on
On Sun, 09 May 2010 16:20:16 +0000, Indi wrote:

> On 2010-05-09, Michel Talon <talon(a)lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>> Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Using it as my primary (usually sole) OS since 2004.
>>
>> Apparently i am beating you, i began using FreeBSD with the 2.2.5 in
>> 1997.
>>

> It seems you're very concerned that everyone knows you're not merely
> another user who wants big change, but a Very Important Long Time user
> who wants big change.

Then you are completely wrong. You are answering the wrong person. Go
back and read it again. I don't WANT to use Ubuntu, I LIKE FreeBSD, and
I'm happy with it.

> But frankly, you come off as someone who was doing alright until you
> made the mistake of buying some hardware without checking whether or not
> it was suitable for use with FreeBSD and then you went into tantrum
> mode. Or worse, someone just telling stories.

But I never said any such thing. I repeat, you have the WRONG PERSON. I
always check my hardware before I buy it, and I've never had ANY problem
(except one one occasion, and then I just modified the FreeBSD device
driver to make it work).

> If you're so happy with Ubuntu, I don't see why you're so determined to
> sit around here running down FreeBSD. Makes you look like a troll,
> really...

It would do, if any of that were true. Look back, check the facts, and
apologise please.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1976)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: Bob Eager on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 00:57:46 +0530, Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:

> On 05/09/2010 03:45 PM, Bob Eager wrote:
>> On Sun, 09 May 2010 11:07:44 +0100, Chronos wrote:
>>
>>> Exactly what I do. Granted, I'm an atypical user and I have a fairly
>>> well specified tinderbox system that can build OOo with localisation
>>> in 2 hours or thereabouts, but it's not beyond the realms of
>>> possibility to use NFS to distribute packages built with a single high
>>> spec desktop machine and one of the ports management utilities. That's
>>> the beauty of the ports system: It works in many scenarios where a
>>> package manager would fall flat.
>>
>> That's pretty well what I do, too. I have a high spec machine that
>> manages all of the ports, as well as buildworlds for nanoBSD etc.
>>
>> And I've been using FreeBSD since 2.1.something...and UNIX since
>> 1976...
>
> Where are the numbers; are your own compiled OOo, QT4, KDE and, or GNOME
> on FreeBSD much more efficient than the pre-build and signed binary
> packages of Debian and, or Ubuntu?
>
> If not or if the difference is not distinguishable enough, why waste CPU
> cycles, disk IO, bandwidth and, or electricity?
>
> In case you really want to do some fine-tuning and build the same or
> similar packages on Debian and, or Ubuntu also; provided you are willing
> to learn and, or do it.

I'm happy with what I have. It is *sufficiently* efficient for me. My
time is more valuable than the minuscule amount of electricity.

From: Bob Eager on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 00:42:47 +0530, Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:

> On 05/09/2010 09:50 PM, Indi wrote:

>>> Apparently i am beating you, i began using FreeBSD with the 2.2.5 in
>>> 1997.
>>>

>> It seems you're very concerned that everyone knows you're not merely
>> another user who wants big change, but a Very Important Long Time user
>> who wants big change.
>>
>> But frankly, you come off as someone who was doing alright until you
>> made the mistake of buying some hardware without checking whether or
>> not it was suitable for use with FreeBSD and then you went into tantrum
>> mode. Or worse, someone just telling stories.
>>
>> If you're so happy with Ubuntu, I don't see why you're so determined to
>> sit around here running down FreeBSD. Makes you look like a troll,
>> really...
>
> Please not, that calling someone, to whom you don't know, merely by
> guesswork is a sheer foolishness and that too publically.

And completely inaccurate guesswork too...if he had followed the thread
properly, he'd know that. I have no interest in Ubuntu..

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1976)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org