From: XPR on
So I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, we all have to start somewhere. I'm
trying to install Open Office into KDE. I got a link via:
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=11580 to an OO package.
However it fails out when trying to install. The first item is Perl,
of which it wants a newer version installed. This is where my issue
is. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to update Perl. I
can't use pkg_delete to remove the older Perl because stuff is linked
to it.
From: Lowell Gilbert on
XPR <wisynoil(a)gmail.com> writes:

> So I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, we all have to start somewhere. I'm
> trying to install Open Office into KDE. I got a link via:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=11580 to an OO package.
> However it fails out when trying to install. The first item is Perl,
> of which it wants a newer version installed. This is where my issue
> is. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to update Perl. I
> can't use pkg_delete to remove the older Perl because stuff is linked
> to it.

There are other ports that will handle this kind of problem for you.
There's a whole category (ports-mgmt) of related ports, but the most
commonly recommended ones for this purpose are ports-mgmt/portmaster
and ports-mgmt/portupgrade.

I recommend looking at the FreeBSD Handbook for advice on this area.

--
Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/
From: XPR on
On May 7, 1:01 pm, Lowell Gilbert <lguse...(a)be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> XPR <wisyn...(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > So I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, we all have to start somewhere.  I'm
> > trying to install Open Office into KDE.  I got a link via:
> >http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=11580to an OO package.
> > However it fails out when trying to install.  The first item is Perl,
> > of which it wants a newer version installed.  This is where my issue
> > is.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how to update Perl.  I
> > can't use pkg_delete to remove the older Perl because stuff is linked
> > to it.
>
> There are other ports that will handle this kind of problem for you.
> There's a whole category (ports-mgmt) of related ports, but the most
> commonly recommended ones for this purpose are ports-mgmt/portmaster
> and ports-mgmt/portupgrade.
>
> I recommend looking at the FreeBSD Handbook for advice on this area.
>
> --
> Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
>          http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

I looked at the FreeBSD Handbook and a host of other sites already.
From: Lowell Gilbert on
XPR <wisynoil(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On May 7, 1:01�pm, Lowell Gilbert <lguse...(a)be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>> XPR <wisyn...(a)gmail.com> writes:
>> > So I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, we all have to start somewhere. �I'm
>> > trying to install Open Office into KDE. �I got a link via:
>> >http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=11580to an OO package.
>> > However it fails out when trying to install. �The first item is Perl,
>> > of which it wants a newer version installed. �This is where my issue
>> > is. �For the life of me, I can't figure out how to update Perl. �I
>> > can't use pkg_delete to remove the older Perl because stuff is linked
>> > to it.
>>
>> There are other ports that will handle this kind of problem for you.
>> There's a whole category (ports-mgmt) of related ports, but the most
>> commonly recommended ones for this purpose are ports-mgmt/portmaster
>> and ports-mgmt/portupgrade.
>>
>> I recommend looking at the FreeBSD Handbook for advice on this area.
>>
>> --
>> Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
>> � � � � �http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/
>
> I looked at the FreeBSD Handbook and a host of other sites already.

The Handbook has entire subsections on portupgrade, portmaster, and
portmanager. Pick one of them, install it, and use it to upgrade your
installed ports.

From: Bob Eager on
On Fri, 07 May 2010 09:08:45 -0700, XPR wrote:

> So I'm a newbie to FreeBSD, we all have to start somewhere. I'm trying
> to install Open Office into KDE. I got a link via:
> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=11580 to an OO package.
> However it fails out when trying to install. The first item is Perl, of
> which it wants a newer version installed. This is where my issue is.
> For the life of me, I can't figure out how to update Perl. I can't use
> pkg_delete to remove the older Perl because stuff is linked to it.

The ports tree you have installed on your machine should (in theory)
contain a version of OO that will work with the current Perl. So, the
easiest way is just to install the OO package for your system.

Use: pkg_add -r openoffice.org-3

which should do it automagically, if there is a pre-built port. If there
isn't:

# cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3
# make
# make install

(the make phase will take hours....and ensure you have lots of swap
space, at least 5GB, and lots of spare disk space (20GB to be safe), on
/usr)

OR.....you can update your ports tree, then get a new Perl and
OpenOffice.org...personally I'd do that later.

Tip on updating ports, and other stuff, get "BSD Hacks" by Dru Lavigne.
Despite 34 years' UNIX experience, I learned a thing or two. Aquick link
to it is here...I'll confess up front that I get a small kickback, but
it's an easy way to get to it...!

http://books.tavi.co.uk then select "Unix related books"

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK: