From: XPR on
On May 8, 6:07 am, mechanic <mecha...(a)example.net> wrote:
> On 7 May 2010 20:11:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
>
> > the make phase will take hours....and ensure you have lots of swap
> > space, at least 5GB, and lots of spare disk space (20GB to be safe), on
> > /usr
>
> LOL! And they wonder why BSD isn't popular as a stand-alone desktop
> for single users!

Well if you use PC-BSD Open Office works great.
From: Bob Eager on
On Sat, 08 May 2010 17:49:43 +0000, Michel Talon wrote:

> You don't run Ubuntu to have the stupidity of building OpenOffice from
> source.

Since the OP appeared to be trying to build OO from source, I merely
suggested the easiest (trivial) way to go about it on FreeBSD. You
omitted to mention that my first suggestion was simply to install the
port package.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: Bob Eager on
On Sat, 08 May 2010 19:29:39 +0200, Frédéric Perrin wrote:

> Ubuntu has binary packages for OO.o. People don't need to build OO.o on
> Ubuntu. When the user wants to install that, it only takes as long as
> downloading tens of MB of bloat (and extracting the packages, but that
> fast in comparison). On FreeBSD, you have to compile 1.9GB of C++ !
> There are only amd64 packages, no i386 or other archs last time I
> looked.

I've installed it from packages in the past. As it happens, last time I
built it very soon after a new port appeared, so I wasn't expecting a pre-
built package.

You (and Mr Talon) have omitted to mention that, yes, you have to
download the source. And it takes a long time to build. But it is as
simple as typing 'make'.

From: Bob Eager on
On Sat, 08 May 2010 11:34:36 -0700, XPR wrote:

> On May 8, 6:07 am, mechanic <mecha...(a)example.net> wrote:
>> On 7 May 2010 20:11:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
>>
>> > the make phase will take hours....and ensure you have lots of swap
>> > space, at least 5GB, and lots of spare disk space (20GB to be safe),
>> > on /usr
>>
>> LOL! And they wonder why BSD isn't popular as a stand-alone desktop for
>> single users!
>
> Well if you use PC-BSD Open Office works great.

Works great (well, as well as OO does for anyone) for me on FreeBSD.

From: Michel Talon on
XPR <wisynoil(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 8, 6:07�am, mechanic <mecha...(a)example.net> wrote:
> > On 7 May 2010 20:11:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
> >
> > > the make phase will take hours....and ensure you have lots of swap
> > > space, at least 5GB, and lots of spare disk space (20GB to be safe), on
> > > /usr
> >
> > LOL! And they wonder why BSD isn't popular as a stand-alone desktop
> > for single users!
>
> Well if you use PC-BSD Open Office works great.

PC-BSD has the concept of "pbi" that is complete packages with all
dependencies. This is completely different from the ports system of
FreeBSD, and probably a progress for desktop usage. You may know it, but
ideas like that, or "fat packages" and so on are currently discussed on
the FreeBSD mailing lists by proeminent developers. Maybe this will
result in something concrete, but history taught me that things don't
change quickly in this domain. I have the impression that the most vocal
users are happy of the system as it is, while the other ones vote with
their feet and remain silent. Hence conservatism almost always win.

--

Michel TALON

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14