From: Michel Talon on
Indi <indi(a)satcidananda.16x108.merseine.nu> wrote:

> I have no problem agreeing to disagree. In fact I don't really care
> what OS other people want to use. But I do take exception when someone
> tells me my personal experience is "bullshit" and then makes wild,

I never said that your personal experience is bullshit but that your
assertion that i am not able to configure my machine or read the support
list is bullshit. If only because the most fundamental property for
modern laptop support, the quality of ACPI support is not mentioned in
any way in said list. Strange as it may be i also have an old Dell
laptop which works with FreeBSD, but it was an APM laptop. Here the BIOS
did the job that now the OS has to do when suspending resuming. In fact
i have seen old Thinkpads working with FreeBSD in ACPI mode, but not
more modern ones. If only suspend-resume was broken in my laptop, i
would be happy. But the Intel wifi driver hangs from time to time,
sometimes the Intel video driver hangs and the machine freezes and has
to be rebooted, yielding interesting filesystem corruptions. Of course
ACPI doesn't get correct battery information, and the special keys
(brightness control, etc.) don't work. So when i say the hardware
support is abysmal, i mean it. Interestingly no problem at all under
Linux. It is not a very exotic laptop, it is a Sony, and hardware is
"supported" according to the support list. Moreover it is now 3 years
old, so FreeBSD support had all the time to appear, but recent versions
are exactly like old ones.

> unfounded assertions disparaging my OS of choice (which is precisely
> what Mr Talon did).

My assertions are founded, what is unfounded is you patronizing tone,
well hidden under a pseudonym. In general i consider all people who
don't have the balls to post under their real name are cranks and don't
merit any answer. Contrary to Bob Eager, Bob Melson, Balwinder Dheeman,
that i have seen regularly on the newsgroup, i have never seen you, so i
am founded to consider you are a troll. You are not even able to read
what people say, since even in my first post i mentioned i tried
plugging an external USB disk (from my student) in my FreeBSD desktop,
(which logically means i am a FreeBSD user up to now), and was rewarded
by a timeout in the umass driver, another example of the marvelous
hardware support in FreeBSD. Your assertion that it works for you with
various USB keys is not in contradiction to that, i also have USB keys
that work OK on the same machine. Do you beleive i can encourage a
student to try FreeBSD when they see such things? When you see that the
people who manage the Postgres infrastructure, switch from FreeBSD to
Debian it is of course because they are idiots who don't have your
infinite wisdom for configuring FreeBSD and choosing good hardware, not
because they are tired of the constant problems both in the base system
and kernel and in the ports system. Anyways i am myself tired to discuss
with a troll and will stop here.

--

Michel TALON

From: Indi on
On 2010-05-09, Michel Talon <talon(a)lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> If only suspend-resume was broken in my laptop, i
> would be happy. But the Intel wifi driver hangs from time to time,
> sometimes the Intel video driver hangs and the machine freezes and has
> to be rebooted, yielding interesting filesystem corruptions.

I use the intel 945 video and intel 3945 wireless daily, with
absolutely no problems. Could be you have hardware issues...

> My assertions are founded, what is unfounded is you patronizing tone,
> well hidden under a pseudonym. In general i consider all people who
> don't have the balls to post under their real name are cranks and don't
> merit any answer.

It's Indulekha Sharpe, all you needed to do was ask.

And BTW if you don't wish to be regarded as a troll then try just
stopping the hysteria and use a normal tone. You have come across
as someone who has all the facts, and are very dismissive of any
success stories that contradict your tales of gloom and woe.

Your mistake with me was just what I said it was, go back and
read what you wrote.

Also maybe you should upgrade to 8.0 if you're having USB issues.
The whole stack was redone.
In general you'll get much better results if you humbly request support
than if you fly into a rage because you couldn't get something working
as well as you like.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Indi on
On 2010-05-09, Michel Talon <talon(a)lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> In general i consider all people who
> don't have the balls to post under their real name are cranks and don't
> merit any answer.

And yes, as a woman I don't have "balls".

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Balwinder S Dheeman on
On 05/10/2010 02:23 AM, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010 00:57:46 +0530, Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:

>>> That's pretty well what I do, too. I have a high spec machine that
>>> manages all of the ports, as well as buildworlds for nanoBSD etc.
>>>
>>> And I've been using FreeBSD since 2.1.something...and UNIX since
>>> 1976...
>>
>> Where are the numbers; are your own compiled OOo, QT4, KDE and, or GNOME
>> on FreeBSD much more efficient than the pre-build and signed binary
>> packages of Debian and, or Ubuntu?
>>
>> If not or if the difference is not distinguishable enough, why waste CPU
>> cycles, disk IO, bandwidth and, or electricity?
>>
>> In case you really want to do some fine-tuning and build the same or
>> similar packages on Debian and, or Ubuntu also; provided you are willing
>> to learn and, or do it.
>
> I'm happy with what I have. It is *sufficiently* efficient for me. My
> time is more valuable than the minuscule amount of electricity.

I bet, not only you, but none of so called advocates of FreeBSD ports
system have those numbers; *sufficiently* is not a comparable figure.

Who cares stopping you from wasting your time on debugging, resolving
wrong dependencies and, or building ports.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
From: Bob Melson on
On Sunday 09 May 2010 18:09, Balwinder S Dheeman
(bsd.SANSPAM(a)anu.homelinux.net) opined:

> On 05/10/2010 02:23 AM, Bob Eager wrote:

>>> Where are the numbers; are your own compiled OOo, QT4, KDE and, or
>>> GNOME on FreeBSD much more efficient than the pre-build and signed
>>> binary packages of Debian and, or Ubuntu?
>>>
>>> If not or if the difference is not distinguishable enough, why waste
>>> CPU cycles, disk IO, bandwidth and, or electricity?
>>>
>>> In case you really want to do some fine-tuning and build the same or
>>> similar packages on Debian and, or Ubuntu also; provided you are
>>> willing to learn and, or do it.
>>
>> I'm happy with what I have. It is *sufficiently* efficient for me. My
>> time is more valuable than the minuscule amount of electricity.
>
> I bet, not only you, but none of so called advocates of FreeBSD ports
> system have those numbers; *sufficiently* is not a comparable figure.
>
> Who cares stopping you from wasting your time on debugging, resolving
> wrong dependencies and, or building ports.

You don't like it, don't use it. I don't see anybody standing behind you
with a gun, forcing you to use FBSD against your will. Except in a
commercial environment, where o/s usage is generally a policy matter,
decided by management, what o/s to use on a personal system is a matter of
free choice, arrived at in many instances after years of experimentation.
That may not make you, as a "Registered Linux (L)User", particularly happy
or satisfy your need to feel superior - something that should've been
mentioned in McClellan's "Hierarchy of Needs" - but it's a fact of the
real world in which most of us live.

Oh, and something I'm generally reluctant to do because I value other
opinions

<plonk!>

Bob Melson

> --
> Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
> Anu'z Linux(a)HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
> Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Plan9, T2, Arch/Debian/FreeBSD/XP
> Home: http://werc.homelinux.net/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

-----
Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: Failed opal3 build
Next: MPT Timeouts on FreeBSD 8.0 VM