From: Indi on
On 2010-05-07, Bob Eager <rde42(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

> # cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3
> # make
> # make install
>
> (the make phase will take hours....and ensure you have lots of swap
> space, at least 5GB, and lots of spare disk space (20GB to be safe), on
> /usr)

5GB of swap, 20 GB space?
It's 11 GB of free disk space, no swap requirement AFAIK.
Just recently built OO.o-3.1.1 on a machine with 1GB RAM, 512MB swap,
and just barely 11GB free disk space. Took a few hours.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: mechanic on
On 7 May 2010 20:11:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

> the make phase will take hours....and ensure you have lots of swap
> space, at least 5GB, and lots of spare disk space (20GB to be safe), on
> /usr

LOL! And they wonder why BSD isn't popular as a stand-alone desktop
for single users!

--
mechanic
From: Michel Talon on
mechanic <mechanic(a)example.net> wrote:
> On 7 May 2010 20:11:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
>
> > the make phase will take hours....and ensure you have lots of swap
> > space, at least 5GB, and lots of spare disk space (20GB to be safe), on
> > /usr
>
> LOL! And they wonder why BSD isn't popular as a stand-alone desktop
> for single users!

And this is nothing compared to the poor hardware support. As painful it
may be to admit it, for someone who has invested a lot of time in
FreeBSD (like me) it is clear that Linux (notably Ubuntu) is a far
better proposition for the desktop. At present i see a reasonable niche
use for FreeBSD on servers, assuming the hardware is supported, and the
performance is not too flaky compared to Linux, or on embedded hardware
where people are afraid by the GPL.

--

Michel TALON

From: Indi on
On 2010-05-08, mechanic <mechanic(a)example.net> wrote:
> On 7 May 2010 20:11:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
>
>> the make phase will take hours....and ensure you have lots of swap
>> space, at least 5GB, and lots of spare disk space (20GB to be safe), on
>> /usr
>
> LOL! And they wonder why BSD isn't popular as a stand-alone desktop
> for single users!

I don't think many of us reasonably wonder about that.
But once you do get it set up and tuned it's wonderful.
If you make the effort FBSD will spoil you. :)

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi

From: Indi on
On 2010-05-08, Michel Talon <talon(a)lpthe.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> mechanic <mechanic(a)example.net> wrote:
>> On 7 May 2010 20:11:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
>>
>> > the make phase will take hours....and ensure you have lots of swap
>> > space, at least 5GB, and lots of spare disk space (20GB to be safe), on
>> > /usr
>>
>> LOL! And they wonder why BSD isn't popular as a stand-alone desktop
>> for single users!
>>

> And this is nothing compared to the poor hardware support. As painful it
> may be to admit it, for someone who has invested a lot of time in
> FreeBSD (like me) it is clear that Linux (notably Ubuntu) is a far
> better proposition for the desktop. At present i see a reasonable niche
> use for FreeBSD on servers, assuming the hardware is supported, and the
> performance is not too flaky compared to Linux, or on embedded hardware
> where people are afraid by the GPL.

That was more true a few years back; the last four years I've had
no problem running it on a lot of very different configurations.

Ubuntu is about as buggy as it gets, BTW...
Fine for casal users, like windows.

--
Caveat utilitor,
indi