From: SG1 on

"terryc" <newsninespam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:30:41 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:
>

>> Rather dubious on the lowest cost per month, but otherwise not too bad,
>> although it ignores the fact that many of ours only bother to pay for
>> 512 or less speed wise.
>
> More than enough speed.

Now now we are talk Bps not Roddles per message???????

From: David L. Jones on
Don McKenzie wrote:
> Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World, Shown Visually:
> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769
>
> Be sure to click the above image to see it in its full glory.
>
> Yes, Australia if 5th from the right hand end of the graph.
>
> Cheers Don...

Well, my Telstra cable gives me up to 30Mbps so no complaints there, but
then they sting me $70/month for 12GB including uploads :-(

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com

From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Rather dubious on the lowest cost per month, but otherwise not too
>> bad, although it ignores the fact that many of ours only bother to
>> pay for 512 or less speed wise.

> More than enough speed.

Depends on what you want to do. ABC's Iview doesnt work that well at those speeds.

From: kreed on
On Oct 29, 4:58 am, Don McKenzie <5...(a)2.5A> wrote:
> Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World, Shown Visually:http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-th...
>
> Be sure to click the above image to see it in its full glory.
>
> Yes, Australia if 5th from the right hand end of the graph.
>
> Cheers Don...
>
> --
> Don McKenzie
>
> Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
> E-Mail Contact Page:http://www.dontronics.com/email
> Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
> No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam
>
> Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html

The graph is pretty useless as they do not cover the "download limits"
or the forced speed reduction (PC name = shaping) after a small limit
is reached. Many countries do NOT have a download limit. This is
certainly the case in Russia, the Ukraine and US.

To compare without this important data, is not giving the full
picture.

In the days of common use of things like VOIP, Online TV services
such as ABC I-View, You Tube and other such legitimate data intensive
services, (we could mention torrents and other file sharing if you
want) this cannot be overlooked.

It's like saying that you can have a new top of the range Mercedes but
are limited to 100km a month at normal speed, after which you can only
do 25, or a used Commodore that you can drive as much and as far as
you like and at the speed limit. Unless you are the "little old lady
who only drives to church on sundays", then the commodore is the
better offer.

From: terryc on
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:24:43 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

> terryc wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>
>>> Rather dubious on the lowest cost per month, but otherwise not too
>>> bad, although it ignores the fact that many of ours only bother to pay
>>> for 512 or less speed wise.
>
>> More than enough speed.
>

> Depends on what you want to do. ABC's Iview doesnt work that well at
> those speeds.

True, but I can only afford 2 hrs max of that per day anyway.

The big problem with iview is that by the time you could watch news, it
was ancient or weeks old.

Cheaper and faster just to buy a USB san/dongle for the desktop box

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: BSOD
Next: $399AUD Netbook sale on again