From: Don McKenzie on

Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World, Shown Visually:
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769

Be sure to click the above image to see it in its full glory.

Yes, Australia if 5th from the right hand end of the graph.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/sparkfun-electronics.html
From: Doug Jewell on
Don McKenzie wrote:

> Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World, Shown Visually:
> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769
>

> Be sure to click the above image to see it in its full glory.
>
> Yes, Australia if 5th from the right hand end of the graph.
>
> Cheers Don...

One thing you will notice about the countries with very high
speed internet - they are all small with high population.
Much easier and cheaper to provide high speed broadband to a
reasonable slab of the population in those circumstances. I
wonder what level of access people in say rural France have
though. At least in Australia, most people in major cities
have access to 8MBps (although very few opt for faster than
512K), and most people in rural towns have access to
1.5MBps. Thanks to the government assistance, people on
farms etc have access to 256-512kBps via satellite which is
a damned site better than what they could get through phone
lines. We still have some way to go, but personally I'd
prefer to make 1.5MBps available to anyone who wants it,
rather than having some people in some cities with 60M and
regional areas / people with pair gain etc with 14-33K.

--
What is the difference between a duck?
From: The Old Bloke on

"Don McKenzie" <5V(a)2.5A> wrote in message

> Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World, Shown Visually:
> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769
>
> Be sure to click the above image to see it in its full glory.
>
> Yes, Australia if 5th from the right hand end of the graph.
>
> Cheers Don...

I wonder how they determine that our cost for 1mbps is $1 - $5 per month.
Even if that is per each 1mbps, it seems far too low.

Regards

From: Rod Speed on
The Old Bloke wrote
> Don McKenzie <5V(a)2.5A> wrote

>> Internet Speeds And Costs Around The World, Shown Visually:
>> http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/internet-speeds-and-costs-around-the-world-shown-visually/#more-362769

>> Be sure to click the above image to see it in its full glory.

>> Yes, Australia if 5th from the right hand end of the graph.

> I wonder how they determine that our cost for 1mbps is $1 - $5 per month. Even if that is per each 1mbps, it seems far
> too low.

They appear to be taking the average broadband speed available in
each country and dividing that into the lowest cost per month available.

Rather dubious on the lowest cost per month, but otherwise not too bad, although
it ignores the fact that many of ours only bother to pay for 512 or less speed wise.

From: terryc on
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:30:41 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

> Rather dubious on the lowest cost per month, but otherwise not too bad,
> although it ignores the fact that many of ours only bother to pay for
> 512 or less speed wise.

More than enough speed.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8