From: bokubob on
Steen Schmidt wrote:
> I know that much free software exist. The problem with this is the same
> as with all other open source software; It's difficult to use, badly
> documented and poorly integrated.

I read this a while ago and it stuck with me:
"Open source is free; so long as your time is worthless."

I think it applies here too.

-Jonathan

From: Howard Owen on
One reason PDAs are nice is also a reason desktop computers are nice:
general computinng capability in a personal package. I'm a calculator
enthusiast, so on my phone, I have the following software:

emu48
Free42
EV41
MathUPro (Programmable RPN calculator)

I also have software that lets me:

Access my home network from anywhere,
Use the phone as a wireless modem for my laptops
Play my music (1GB+ worth of MP3s, currently)
Take (somewhat crappy) photographs
Play a bunch of games
Browse the internet with HTTP
Securely store all the dozens of passwords I need to use
Oh yes, make phone calls, and keep my calendar and contacts

Did I mention the calculators?

I get a lot of pleasure out of using all that software everywhere I go.
But when using the calculator software, I really do miss the nice
layout of a well thought out calculator keyboard. There is also the
fact that I have to recharge the phone each and every day I use it. (It
will go a week if I'm not using it.)

Nice ideas like the Qonos answer both those points, but I had another
thought. It's probably not original, but what about a portable
calculator *terminal* device? This would have a nice keyboard and a low
power LCD display, and bluetooth, or maybe Nokia's new low-power BT
equivalent. The computing power could come from a PDA, a laptop, a
desktop, a cluster or a world-wide grid! The advantage would be
superior data entry. You'd still want a full size display for
visualization, but the on-board screen would be good enough to preview
results.

So the key (so to speak) enabler for this device would be an open
standard protocol for the keyboard and display, one that was network
extensible, and supported by any host computer OS you might care to
harness for computing horsepower. That's probably asking too much,
though. 8)

Regards,
Howard

From: Steen Schmidt on
Steen Schmidt wrote:

> [...] The problem with this is the same as with all other open source
> software; It's difficult to use, badly documented and poorly
integrated.

I meant to write "...poorly documented...", not "...badly
documented...". The documentation is usually good but scarce.

Cheers,
Steen
From: pobox42511 on
Yes, there is one:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/309/30978.html

Emulation of the TI-86 is good, but for TI-89, it's slow. Better with a
624MHz PDA. Hasn't been updated for a few years.

From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
Joel Kolstad wrote:
> "Volker Neurath" <neanderix(a)gmx.de> wrote in message
>> I think that today it is possible to replace a high-end
>> CAS-grahics-calc by a PDA with software.
>
> Not very well. I've looked -- really I have -- for a Windows
> CE/Mobile/etc. calculator, and even ignoring the obvious problem that
> you can't operate one as quickly with a stylus and soft keyboard,
> none feel as "well integrated" as an HP-48/49/50.
>
> After playing with a bunch of them, it made me sader that Qonos died
> -- they really had the right idea, I think, using a PDA platform with
> a high-quality fold-out keyboard and custom software. It would have
> been great...

Actually It doesn't have to be Qonos
Since HPQ uses (or used to use) the same Samsung ARM9 variat
on a low-end WinCE PDA
HPQ could "easily" integrate WinCE device with a calc
Perhaps using the Qonos layout, calculator layout
or those small QWERTY PDA keyboard layouts
It's like having the ALPHA mode "on TOP"
perhaps just changing to calc mode could switch between ALPHA/calc KB
OR
HPQ could buy Qonos from Hydrix

Perhaps TI will buy Qonos?
Even if the HP emulation would be optional
I's still buy it (as long as I can get my 49-50 work)
--
Veli-Pekka

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Another 50G (disappointment) story
Next: SYSEVAL Question