From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
Gene wrote:
> Veli-Pekka Nousiainen wrote:
>> Gene wrote:

>>> Then there's the market question...how many people will pay $150
>>> for a calculator without alphanumerics and with only ~400 bytes of
>>> program space?
>>
>> Who sayz it has to have that little memory?
>> I don't think that it's even possible to have that little today :-)
>
> Gene: Ah, so you don't really want HP to bring back the HP15c. That's
> what everyone keeps saying. What they must mean is a modified ! HP15c.
>
> But, that means even MORE re-engineering and modifications and time
> and $$ and ...
>
> makes it even less likely. :-(

12C Platinum and HP 33S gives us hope
The ARM emulated Saturn could be one answer
Not all that impossible
BUT
the predicted sales revenues should be high - right?!
Now I guess thay are not high enough
(not even if thousand of us would order such a calc)

One thing that missing and is also NEEDED
is HP 47G
a basic numeric only graphing model
to compete witl TI-83/84/86 style calculatrice

1) remove the new CAS (start from 48G+)
2) No symbolic Integration - numeric only
3) No symbolic solving - numeric only
4) No symbolic derivation
5) No symbolic DiffEq Solver, Numeric only (graphic?)
- - -
X) even 48G+ QUAD (etc) might have to be removed
Y) 'Algebraic' manipulation not allowed? ("Wrong Argument Type")
Z) Else ?

From: Howard Owen on

Wayne Brown wrote:

> Well, the problem with that is that I wouldn't have wanted a 12CP, even
> for free. I consider those to be an insult to the venerable Voyager line.

Well, the 25th Anniversary Edition has returned to the old color scheme
- almost. And the machine comes up in RPN by default. The keyboard is
actually quite nice, too. It has a faster processor and more memory.
The LCD isn't quite as nice as my 1981 12C. What is it that offends you
about the machine?

Regards,
Howard

From: TW on
> The LCD isn't quite as nice as my 1981 12C. What is it that offends you
> about the machine?

>From what I've been understanding, the fact that there is an HP in the
top corner. :-)

TW

From: Wayne Brown on
Howard Owen <hbo(a)egbok.com> wrote:

> Wayne Brown wrote:
>>
>> Well, the problem with that is that I wouldn't have wanted a 12CP, even
>> for free. I consider those to be an insult to the venerable Voyager line.
>
> Well, the 25th Anniversary Edition has returned to the old color scheme
> - almost. And the machine comes up in RPN by default. The keyboard is
> actually quite nice, too. It has a faster processor and more memory.
> The LCD isn't quite as nice as my 1981 12C. What is it that offends you
> about the machine?

I hadn't looked at a 12CP since the first ones came out, so after
reading your article I found a picture of the 25th Anniversary Edition.
You're right, it looks much better than the orignal 12C Platinum --
quite a bit better than I expected. I still don't have a lot of
interest in it, because I never cared much for the original 12C,
though I give it its due respect as part of the original Voyager line.
(I don't really like business-oriented calculators, and I never cared
for the gold color of the 12C, so the 12CP 25th AE is an improvement in
that respect.) I might actually even consider buying a new version of
the 15C if it looked as good as that one, although I'd still prefer one
that was identical to the original; one that even a 1980s HP engineer
would have difficulty identifying as a newer copy.

So while I don't especially want a 25th AE 12CP, at least I'm not offended
by it like I was by the first version of the 12CP.

--
Wayne Brown <fwbrown(a)bellsouth.net> (HPCC #1104)

??s ofereode, ?isses swa m?g. ("That passed away, this also can.")
"Deor," from the Exeter Book (folios 100r-100v)
From: JB on

> I consider those to be an insult to the venerable Voyager line.

You mention the Voyager line. Please explain. Was that a line of HP
calculators? If so, I wonder why TI would have a Voyage calculator?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Another 50G (disappointment) story
Next: SYSEVAL Question