From: Howard Owen on

Wayne Brown wrote:
> I hadn't looked at a 12CP since the first ones came out, so after
> reading your article I found a picture of the 25th Anniversary Edition.
> You're right, it looks much better than the orignal 12C Platinum --
> quite a bit better than I expected. I still don't have a lot of
> interest in it, because I never cared much for the original 12C,
> though I give it its due respect as part of the original Voyager line.

That was me all over. I bought my vintage first year 12C off eBay as
one of the few pure collector pieces I own. I vastly prefer to play
with my old calculators. The 12C is crippled as a programmable relative
to all other Voyagers except the 10C. But two things have made me
change my mind about the machine to a degree. First, it is the single
most successful calculator in a commercial sense in history. 25 years
for any bit of electronic gear is nothing short of astounding. That
fact speaks volumes about how special the Voyager line really was.
(It's also a commentary on the conservatism of business majors, I
suppose.) Second, the limited programming model has paradoxically given
rise to a library of wonderfully inventive software for the machine.
Valantin Albillo, a name out of the glory days of PPC and of HP
calculators, has written trig routines that will fit in a classic 12C's
memory. He continues to publish interesting code for the Voyager line
and other classic HP machines. Others are in the hunt too. Egan Ford
just published a Gamma routine for the 12C over at the HP museum.
Gerson Barbosa is also contributing interesting and elegant code. While
I doubt anyone really needs trigs on a 12C, it's marvelous to see how
the keystroke wizards do magic with the limited resources of a 12CP, or
even a 12C.

There's a third reason my interest in the machine has been piqued. The
freebie at HHC2006 certainly got my attention. Looking it over, I
realized that the 12C(P) is the only calculator in HP's lineup that
comes up in RPN mode by default. Apparently, that's what the financial
geeks want, so that's what they get. With all the dark days we have
seen at HP, that fact seems to me to be one little ray of hope. There
are others, too. As Gene mentioned, the new guy at HP is a genuine
1980s minted PPC member. His eyes do not glass up when you talk to him
about keyboard quality and similar issues. Admittedly, that's a long
way from actual evidence that HP has changed its approach. But it is
another small reason to hope, in my opinion.

Regards,
Howard

From: Wayne Brown on
Howard Owen <hbo(a)egbok.com> wrote:

> There's a third reason my interest in the machine has been piqued. The
> freebie at HHC2006 certainly got my attention. Looking it over, I
> realized that the 12C(P) is the only calculator in HP's lineup that
> comes up in RPN mode by default. Apparently, that's what the financial
> geeks want, so that's what they get. With all the dark days we have
> seen at HP, that fact seems to me to be one little ray of hope. There
> are others, too. As Gene mentioned, the new guy at HP is a genuine
> 1980s minted PPC member. His eyes do not glass up when you talk to him
> about keyboard quality and similar issues. Admittedly, that's a long
> way from actual evidence that HP has changed its approach. But it is
> another small reason to hope, in my opinion.

I hope you're right. But it's going to take a *lot* of improvement
on HP's part, over a long period, to convince me. I once was a very
enthusiastic HP supporter, and it took *years* for me to give up on
them completely. It probably will take just as long for them to win me
over again.

--
Wayne Brown <fwbrown(a)bellsouth.net> (HPCC #1104)

??s ofereode, ?isses swa m?g. ("That passed away, this also can.")
"Deor," from the Exeter Book (folios 100r-100v)
From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
Wayne Brown wrote:
> Howard Owen <hbo(a)egbok.com> wrote:
>>

>> There's a third reason my interest in the machine has been piqued.
>> The freebie at HHC2006 certainly got my attention. Looking it over, I
>> realized that the 12C(P) is the only calculator in HP's lineup that
>> comes up in RPN mode by default. Apparently, that's what the
>> financial geeks want, so that's what they get. With all the dark
>> days we have seen at HP, that fact seems to me to be one little ray
>> of hope. There are others, too. As Gene mentioned, the new guy at HP
>> is a genuine 1980s minted PPC member. His eyes do not glass up when
>> you talk to him about keyboard quality and similar issues.
>> Admittedly, that's a long way from actual evidence that HP has
>> changed its approach. But it is another small reason to hope, in my
>> opinion.
>
> I hope you're right. But it's going to take a *lot* of improvement
> on HP's part, over a long period, to convince me. I once was a very
> enthusiastic HP supporter, and it took *years* for me to give up on
> them completely. It probably will take just as long for them to win
> me over again

Funny - now that the HP 50G is here I just love it
AND
iI'm still going to mention about the missing features:

1) EQW should accept Matrices, Vectors, Lists, etc
and so should Command Line
eg.
{30 60 90} SIN @ Stack operation
`SIN{30 60 90}` @ Direct Algebraic Execution
:: SIN{30 60 90}` @ Delayed Direct Algebraic Execution
and ***
'SIN{30 60 90}' @ Algebraic object using list as an argument

2) Units are still missing from the EQW,
try HP 48G instead of the HP 48 GII

3) No TRUE Complex Polar Form (internally stored so) accepting units
(5_V <) 60_o)

4) angle unit/mode "pi2r" is missing (pi is the small Greek letter 3.14...)
360_o = 400_grad = pi*2_r = 1_pi2r
this would roughly "match" 1_Hz or 60_rpm being one full circle.
A flag setting for this could be arranged

5) No Complex Solver that works in Complex Polar Form
and is thus able to solve the angle if the other parts are know
from (r1 <) O1) and (r2 <) O2) where the angle O2 is not known

6) CAS changes flags, but instead it should do so internally only
and restore to user settings after the operation

7) CAS should not demand purging variables

8) Vectored ENTER back to operation in the Algebraic Mode

9) ProductLog or Lambert W-function as an analytic function

10) Bring the rest of the analytic functions, please
(A)COT[H]
(A)CSC[H]
(A)SEC[H]

11) Naturally one also then needs the equivalent TRIG CAS commands
ACOT2CSC, ACSC2COT, ACSC2SEC, ASEC2CSC
COT2SECCSC2, COT2CSCSEC, COT2CSCSEC2, HALFCOT
TRIGCOT, TRIGCSC, TRIGSEC,

12) and an appropiate flag to prefer SEC over SCS
plus another flag set to use SIN COS TAN only

13) Fractional display mode (like on the 39/40)

14) two-stage CHOOSE (like on the 39/40)

15) more plot modes (like on the 39/40)

16) For easier Labke guessing
SOLVEVX should compile to SOLVX
SIGMAVX => SIGMVX

17) True 3D-plotting

18) If possible use ARM to put User Stack and/or return addresses
or any other "invisible" RAM eating thing into separate address space
to give more memory of the 512KB to the user

19) User should be able to set the UNDO/REDO levels
as well as the CMD stack levels

20) put at least the "<)" symbol on the keyboard &%?(&?"!(/?

From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:28:03 -0500, VPN:

> now that the HP 50G is here I just love it
> AND
> I'm still going to mention about the missing features:

> `SIN{30 60 90}` @ Direct Algebraic Execution

Already present:

`SIN({30,60,90})` ==> { .5 .866025403784 1. }

`COS({30,60})` ==> { .866025403784 .5 }

The commas (argument separators) are needed
to override "implied multiplication" [in ALG mode]

[<-] [CONT]
From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
John H Meyers wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 12:28:03 -0500, VPN:
>
>> now that the HP 50G is here I just love it
>> AND
>> I'm still going to mention about the missing features:
>
>> `SIN{30 60 90}` @ Direct Algebraic Execution
>
> Already present:
>
> `SIN({30,60,90})` ==> { .5 .866025403784 1. }
>
> `COS({30,60})` ==> { .866025403784 .5 }

Yes - as an example how EVERYTHING should work!!

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Another 50G (disappointment) story
Next: SYSEVAL Question