From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
John H Meyers wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 04:42:38 -0500:
>
>> But in legends, anything is possible.
>
> And JYA is legendary :)

Surely he is...

Once I describe the next HP having the IrDA and called it "Cyclops"
The 49g+ and 50G has the IrDA
AND
to my opnion James Marsden is not as handosme or "cool" as Gherkin
whome I rename to "Cyclops"
Good guessing when I called Cyrille "Wolverine" - he liked it!
Cyrille's favourites included that X-man
Bernard Parisse is Professor-X
The Finn in the Group is Iceman (that's also cool...)

Those were the days when ACO worked on a new machine
BUT
that all was in the past millenia...
a long time ago in a galaxy very very near - here

From: JB on

> brad.barton(a)ccrtcblue.com wrote:
As many here have pointed out, the
> demand for high-end calculators is nothing like it was 25 years ago.
> I'ts questionable whether HP would even recover the development costs
> of the new software that would be required to truly advance their
> calculator line.

Actually every new engineering student buys a high-end calculator, so
what is the evidence that the demand for high-end calculators is
nothing like it was 25 years ago? Perhaps the demand for HP
calculators is nothing like it was 25 years ago but that doesn't mean
that the market demand is nothing like it was 25 years ago. What is
the market demand in units per month today and what was it 25 years
ago? And what is the developement cost for a next generation
calculator? And how many units have to be sold at what price to make
back that investment? And how long will that take? Without those
numbers, one cannot say that "I'ts questionable whether HP would even
recover the development costs of the new software that would be
required to truly advance their calculator line." It is not
questionable however that a company will lose market share and
eventually be forced out of a market if they don't compete with new and
innovative products. I think the real issue at this time is what will
the Inspire product turn out to be? Will it essentially be the 89/v200
line with some minor changes or a truly next generation calculator? If
it is a warmed over 89, then the 50g will likely be competitive for
some years to come because the competitive nature of the market place
hasn't been changed. On the other hand, if the Inspire is a next
generation calculator with new and desirable features that customers
want, it can obsolete the present generation of calculators, in which
case other manufacturers then have to scramble and make the investment
to stay competitive or decide to simply sell what they have until the
volume falls to the point where it is no longer profitable and then
quit that business.

From: Tim Bradshaw on
On 2006-10-09 11:59:47 +0100, "JB" <wjbudd(a)yahoo.com> said:

> Actually every new engineering student buys a high-end calculator, so
> what is the evidence that the demand for high-end calculators is
> nothing like it was 25 years ago? Perhaps the demand for HP
> calculators is nothing like it was 25 years ago but that doesn't mean
> that the market demand is nothing like it was 25 years ago.

Do they, actually? I don't think I would. And how many people do an
engineering/hard science subject compared to 25 years ago? I dunno
about the US but in the UK there is a serious problem with hard
sciences - physics departments are being closed, which I find amazing
and disturbing.

--tim

From: brad.barton on
JB wrote:
> > brad.barton(a)ccrtcblue.com wrote:
> As many here have pointed out, the
> > demand for high-end calculators is nothing like it was 25 years ago.
> > I'ts questionable whether HP would even recover the development costs
> > of the new software that would be required to truly advance their
> > calculator line.
>
> Actually every new engineering student buys a high-end calculator, so
> what is the evidence that the demand for high-end calculators is...

Please don't attribute statements to me that I didn't make. >8(

Lot's of conjecture here, but no hard evidence, which is pretty much
what I expected. Despite the braod hints over on MoHP, we'll just have
to wait. <sigh> Still, it's hard to be pessimistic given the changes
at HP, and the quick response to the HP49G+ problems almost as soon as
C. Fiona was shown the door. I'm hoping for good things.

From: Steen Schmidt on
Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> > Actually every new engineering student buys a high-end calculator,
>
> Do they, actually? I don't think I would.

They do in Denmark at least.

Cheers,
Steen
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Another 50G (disappointment) story
Next: SYSEVAL Question