From: Howard Owen on
Wayne Brown wrote:
> Gene <gene.wright(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> And I don't object to an NDA request from anyone but HP. After the
> way HP has behaved toward its customers in the last decade or so, they
> should be on their hands and knees, groveling on the floor, kissing the
> feet of their users and begging for even the tiniest scrap of forgiveness

Gee, you are a hard case. Personally, I found the free calculator
enough to overcome my resentment. 8) 8)

> Þæs ofereode, ðisses swa mæg. ("That passed away, this also can.")
^^^^^^^^

My father named his trimaran "Swa Maeg" from this passage.

Regards,
Howard

From: Wayne Brown on
Gene <gene.wright(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Wayne Brown wrote:
>> Gene <gene.wright(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> And I don't object to an NDA request from anyone but HP. After the
>> way HP has behaved toward its customers in the last decade or so, they
>> should be on their hands and knees, groveling on the floor, kissing the
>> feet of their users and begging for even the tiniest scrap of forgiveness
>> and trust. Requiring an NDA before they'll talk to us doesn't fit very
>> well with such an attitude. When I see HP's top management publicly
>> admitting they've screwed their customers for years -- no matter how
>> much their lawyers advise against such an admission -- and begging us
>> to give them another chance even though they admit they don't deserve
>> it -- *then* I'd *consider* giving them the same sort of concessions
>> other companies get in matters like NDAs.
>
> Gene: You know, if wishes were fishes...but then, I live in the real
> world and know the difference.

I live in the "real world" too, which is why I know that HP will never
meet my requirements. But I don't believe in lowering my standards
just because they don't bring me the results I want. Principles are
more important than success or failure.

>> Essentially, I object to the perception that HP is doing the users a
>> favor by deigning to attend a user group meeting. As I see it, users are
>> doing HP a huge favor by *allowing* them to attend such meetings at all.
>> Wayne Brown <fwbrown(a)bellsouth.net> (HPCC #1104)
>
> Gene: Not sure it's a favor or what. I do know that each time there is
> an HHC conference, those who attend (46 this year who spent their $$ to
> come to the conference), enjoy the HP presentations and geniunely seem
> glad to hear what's going on.

I'm glad they enjoyed it. I wouldn't have -- not just because of HP's
odious presence, but because too little of the program is centered on
the classic products. I have absolutely zero interest in HP's current
or future offerings.

> This year, given that the "new guy" at HP calculators is an old PPC
> member who bought an HP67 with his own funds (wow!), optimism is in the
> air.

If the next model has more in common with the HP-67 than with the 50G
then it would be a step in the right direction. But it's not just the
calculators that concern me. I'm much more unhappy about the demise
of the HP3000 minicomputer than about what they've done to the calcs.
They'll never regain my loyalty or trust until they bring back the 3000,
no matter what they do with the calculators. It's the *entire* (current)
HP operation I despise.

> Of course, Wayne, TI still makes calculators. You could always give
> them a try.

If they start making RPN-only models, then sure. But otherwise, I'll
keep using my old HP RPN models until they wear out, and then I'll
just abandon calculators altogether and stick with my slide rules.
They're more elegant and fun than calculators anyway.

--
Wayne Brown <fwbrown(a)bellsouth.net> (HPCC #1104)

??s ofereode, ?isses swa m?g. ("That passed away, this also can.")
"Deor," from the Exeter Book (folios 100r-100v)
From: Wayne Brown on
Howard Owen <hbo(a)egbok.com> wrote:
> Wayne Brown wrote:
>> Gene <gene.wright(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> And I don't object to an NDA request from anyone but HP. After the
>> way HP has behaved toward its customers in the last decade or so, they
>> should be on their hands and knees, groveling on the floor, kissing the
>> feet of their users and begging for even the tiniest scrap of forgiveness
>
> Gee, you are a hard case. Personally, I found the free calculator
> enough to overcome my resentment. 8) 8)

Well, the problem with that is that I wouldn't have wanted a 12CP, even
for free. I consider those to be an insult to the venerable Voyager line.

>> ??s ofereode, ?isses swa m?g. ("That passed away, this also can.")
> ^^^^^^^^
>
> My father named his trimaran "Swa Maeg" from this passage.

Cool! It sounds like your father and I would get along well. Most people
have never even heard of it.

From: Wayne Brown on
John H Meyers <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:32:23 -0500, Wayne Brown wrote:
>
>> I'd be reluctant to attend a meeting to which HP is even invited,...
>
> And lose the opportunity to meet face to face with the key people
> who not only made the products of the past and maintain them at present,
> but who will also determine the product(s) of the future?

It's true that I'd like to meet some of the key people from the past
(like Bill Wickes), but I have no interest in HP's present or future.

From: Gene on

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen wrote:
> Gene wrote:
> > eddie_1970(a)comcast.net wrote:
> >
> >> I just
> >> really would like to see HP bring back the HP15c. For a new HP15c I
> >> would be will to pay $100 - 150.
> >
> > Then there's the market question...how many people will pay $150 for a
> > calculator without alphanumerics and with only ~400 bytes of program
> > space?
>
> Who sayz it has to have that little memory?
> I don't think that it's even possible to have that little today :-)

Gene: Ah, so you don't really want HP to bring back the HP15c. That's
what everyone keeps saying. What they must mean is a modified ! HP15c.

But, that means even MORE re-engineering and modifications and time and
$$ and ...

makes it even less likely. :-(

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Another 50G (disappointment) story
Next: SYSEVAL Question