From: eddie_1970 on

brad.barton(a)ccrtcblue.com wrote:
> I've been lurking here a while, but not posting. I read a sort of
> funny post dated last March begging the new CEO to revive the ailing
> calculator division. Six months later, can anyone here (Jean-Yves,
> cyrille, etc) say whether or not there has been a change in the way HP
> approaches the calculator division, and the people they work with? Is
> more money being spent? I wonder if the answer is "yes" could anyone
> say anything without risking HP's legal department ripping them a new
> one.
>
> I think that the introduction of the 50G is definitely a positive step,
> and firm evidence that HP is beginning to see a bit of the light. But
> are they just trying to clean up the 49G+ problem and let it go at
> that, or is the 50G an indicator of better things to come?
>
> Any thoughts, hints, conjecture, evidence?
>
> Brad

Hi Brad,

I hope you're right that HP is again getting serious about calculators.
Early in my career, I used TI calculators. Later I realized how much
better HP calculators were. and purchased an HP48g. I stayed away from
the HP49 because of the keyboard issues. Last week I did buy an HP50
that is a lot faster than my old HP48. One thing I wish HP would do is
revive the HP15c. I'm an engineer & when I am in the field it would be
nice to would to have something that size that, that fits in your pocke
& does just the basics in RPN. HP are you listening ? If you can still
make the HP12 why not the HP15C

Regards.
Eddie

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:30:02 -0500, Eddie wrote:

> One thing I wish HP would do is revive the HP15c.
> I'm an engineer & when I am in the field it would be
> nice to would to have something that size that fits in your pocket
> & does just the basics in RPN. HP are you listening ?
> If you can still make the HP12C why not the HP15C?

This is what's in the current product line:
http://www.hp.com/calculators/scientific/33s/index.html

It's cheaper than a 12C, does some things more
(and some less) than a 15C, has more memory,
and probably requires less learning.

Successful professional engineers can get a 15C on eBay, anyway :)

[r->] [OFF]
From: TW on
> I can't imagine he
> fixes bugs or adds functionality, then sends the updates to HP and we
> get a new ROM. Sounds like fantasy.

Yet it isn't. Stange world we live in, isn't it? Would you like him
to stop doing it?

> HHC was just a few weeks ago. Anyone hear rumors while at the
> conference?!

Rumors no. . . but we all had to sign NDAs and hopefully everyone will
respect them.

TW

From: Howard Owen on

Veli-Pekka Nousiainen wrote:
> greenchile505(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> I hope QOnos style machine with enough RAM & Flash
> for full Linux & C-development system

That would be cool.

> will a separate snap-in QWERTY keyboard (or calc keyboard)
> or perhaps a dual keyboard where the "bottom" is calc KB

The Qonos design had a version of the latter solution. The only reason
I'm not happy with my clamshell zaurus as a calculator is the keyboard
issue - and the power. Qonos had that licked as well, essentially
incorporating two machines in one. The calc was low power and could go
a long time on one charge. The PDA was more like a PPC. Palm or Zaurus
in battery longevity. It's the best thinking I've seen so far that
addresses device convergence AND the special needs of a calculating
machine. Too bad they couldn't get over the economic energy barrier and
into the marketplace with that one.

Regards,
Howard

From: eddie_1970 on

John H Meyers wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:30:02 -0500, Eddie wrote:
>
> > One thing I wish HP would do is revive the HP15c.
> > I'm an engineer & when I am in the field it would be
> > nice to would to have something that size that fits in your pocket
> > & does just the basics in RPN. HP are you listening ?
> > If you can still make the HP12C why not the HP15C?
>
> This is what's in the current product line:
> http://www.hp.com/calculators/scientific/33s/index.html
>
> It's cheaper than a 12C, does some things more
> (and some less) than a 15C, has more memory,
> and probably requires less learning.
>
> Successful professional engineers can get a 15C on eBay, anyway :)
>
> [r->] [OFF]

John,

I've not been able to see a HP33 in person, but everything I've read
about it says that it won;t fit in your pocket. Plus the goofy chevron
shaped keyboard sort of turns me off. Yes, I could get one from ebay
but they are very very pricey with various defects.There are some
engineers I work with that have HP 15Cs that I have offered to buy from
but they would not part with it for any amount of money. They would
sooner sell their souls than part with their HP15c. I love the HP50g in
the office, but it would be very nice to have something small with RPN
with basic a basic calculator (trig functions, etc) that I can do a
quick & dirty calculation in the field. It doesn't have to have any
programming capability. I have a Palm Pilot that with Creative Creek
RPN calculator software that works great when it works but not that
reliable. Especially in the winter, I don't care what Palm says they
have a serious SUDS issue with static electicity in the winter. I just
really would like to see HP bring back the HP15c. For a new HP15c I
would be will to pay $100 - 150.

Regards,
Eddie

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Another 50G (disappointment) story
Next: SYSEVAL Question