From: The Natural Philosopher on
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

> If you bought off Ebay and paid by PayPal you'd easily get your money
> back. Assuming such easy to determine faults from the off. Ebay is heavily
> biased in favour of the buyer.

Indeed it is - we were stiffed by a customer for several hundred:
claiming non delivery of goods despite a cast iron paper trail and
postal proof of delivery. And email discussions about the goods he
claimed were never received..

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article <NcydnczlOfPtnGzWnZ2dnUVZ8sqdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>,
> Jon Green <jonsg(a)deadspam.com> wrote:
>> On 17/05/2010 07:46, pete wrote:
>>> Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are
>>> even in the UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new,
>>> full spec. manufacturer's quality product and actually had the mA*Hr
>>> capacity they claim. And that they would last for as many recharge
>>> cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.
>
>> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
>> and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
>> 4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
>> No sale...
>
> Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
> one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

And the capacity of a battery depends critically on how fast you drain
it, and what endpoint voltage you let it go to.

And cells are probably +-10% anyway.
From: Jon Green on
> In article<NcydnczlOfPtnGzWnZ2dnUVZ8sqdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>,
> Jon Green<jonsg(a)deadspam.com> wrote:
>> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
>> and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
>> 4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
>> No sale...
>
> Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
> one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.

Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
"replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
quality of the cells it contains. I value my laptop enough that I don't
want to fire an extinguisher at it!

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
From: Duncan Wood on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 11:01:08 +0100, Jon Green <jonsg(a)deadspam.com> wrote:

> On 17/05/2010 10:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>> In article<NcydnczlOfPtnGzWnZ2dnUVZ8sqdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>,
>> Jon Green<jonsg(a)deadspam.com> wrote:
>>> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
>>> and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
>>> 4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
>>> No sale...
>>
>> Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
>> one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is
>> equal.
>
> Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
> I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
> "replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
> quality of the cells it contains. I value my laptop enough that I don't
> want to fire an extinguisher at it!
>
> Jon

If you're buying cheap ones then that's less likely with the lower
capacity ones.
--
Duncan Wood
From: Baron on
Jon Green Inscribed thus:

> On 17/05/2010 07:46, pete wrote:
>> Yes, there are lots of suppliers of laptop bateries on eBay. Some are
>> even in the UK! I'd love to believe that all their wares were new,
>> full spec. manufacturer's quality product and actually had the mA*Hr
>> capacity they claim. And that they would last for as many recharge
>> cycles as the "proper" ones at twice the price.
>
> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
> and the third party replacement. I was looking at one for my laptop:
> 4400mAH as quoted. When I checked the original part, that was
> 5800mAH.
> No sale...
>
> Jon

Manufacturers are reducing the capacity of the battery packs as a method
of reducing costs. I've seen Acer laptops with three battery size
options for the same machine ! Only machine cosmetic differences and
price, separate them.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.