From: Man at B&Q on
On May 17, 11:01 am, Jon Green <jo...(a)deadspam.com> wrote:
> On 17/05/2010 10:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
>
> > In article<NcydnczlOfPtnGzWnZ2dnUVZ8sqdn...(a)brightview.co.uk>,
> >     Jon Green<jo...(a)deadspam.com>  wrote:
> >> It's worth checking the capacities of both the manufacturer's own part
> >> and the third party replacement.  I was looking at one for my laptop:
> >> 4400mAH as quoted.  When I checked the original part, that was 5800mAH.
> >>    No sale...
>
> > Surely that depends on the price? Two 4400mAH batteries for the cost of
> > one 5800mAH for example could be worth having if everything else is equal.
>
> Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
> I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
> "replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
> quality of the cells it contains.  I value my laptop enough that I don't
> want to fire an extinguisher at it!

Some laptop manufactureres have a rabge of batteries of different
capacity. It may well be that 4400mAH is a kosher replacement for the
bottom of the range and just doesn't suit you.

MBQ

From: Jon Green on
On 17/05/2010 12:25, Man at B&Q wrote:
> On May 17, 11:01 am, Jon Green<jo...(a)deadspam.com> wrote:
>> Well, I don't want to carry around two spare batteries rather than one,
>> I don't want my laptop to run out of juice early, and the fact that the
>> "replacement" part has a markedly lower capacity speaks volumes of the
>> quality of the cells it contains. I value my laptop enough that I don't
>> want to fire an extinguisher at it!
>
> Some laptop manufactureres have a rabge of batteries of different
> capacity. It may well be that 4400mAH is a kosher replacement for the
> bottom of the range and just doesn't suit you.

Not in this case. The standard part is 5800mAH; there are
higher-capacity ones available, but none lower AFAICT.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
From: Roland Perry on
In message <5118c22f46dave(a)davenoise.co.uk>, at 10:28:24 on Mon, 17 May
2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave(a)davenoise.co.uk> remarked:
>> You still have to be careful - many are apparently shipped from China,
>> and while maybe not outright counterfeights can use low-quality cells.
>> I've also had batteries without the right "chip" in them, and therefore
>> unrecognised by the laptop.
>
>That's why it's worth buying off Ebay and paying by PayPal. You'll get an
>easy refund if you have problems. But not some months down the line.

If shipping the offending item back to China is your idea of "easy", I'd
hate to see something difficult. The PayPal refund will not apply if the
cells turn out to be short-lived or low-capacity, rather than completely
broken.
--
Roland Perry
From: James D. Andrews on

"tony sayer" <tony(a)bancom.co.uk> wrote in message

> As above we need a replacement battery for our ACER 5630 laptop. Anyone
> can
> recommend a supplier of either original equipment (Panasonic Battery
> Li-ion
> pack) or decent replacement copy ones?..
>
> Cheers..
> --
> Tony Sayer

Try newegg

From: Dave Plowman (News) on
In article <aG3n6hCSjS8LFAEA(a)perry.co.uk>,
Roland Perry <roland(a)perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <5118c22f46dave(a)davenoise.co.uk>, at 10:28:24 on Mon, 17 May
> 2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave(a)davenoise.co.uk> remarked:
> >> You still have to be careful - many are apparently shipped from
> >> China, and while maybe not outright counterfeights can use
> >> low-quality cells. I've also had batteries without the right "chip"
> >> in them, and therefore unrecognised by the laptop.
> >
> >That's why it's worth buying off Ebay and paying by PayPal. You'll get
> >an easy refund if you have problems. But not some months down the line.

> If shipping the offending item back to China is your idea of "easy", I'd
> hate to see something difficult.

Who said anything about shipping back to China? You simply demand a refund
from Paypal.

> The PayPal refund will not apply if
> the cells turn out to be short-lived or low-capacity, rather than
> completely broken.

If they are low capacity, you'll find that out within the period.

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman dave(a)davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: BIOS Destroyed?