From: Dave Plowman (News) on
In article <9GNuafz4b+8LFAB3(a)perry.co.uk>,
Roland Perry <roland(a)perry.co.uk> wrote:
> >You want to complain something is of poor quality before you've even
> >seen it? Could I ask why you bought it, then?

> Do keep up... if people buy a laptop battery to be shipped from China
> (because it's cheaper), they are taking a risk that it won't be a
> full-spec device. We then went on to discuss potential remedies.

Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?
And I'd suggest you check the specs of *anything* before buying. Can end
in tears if you don't. Even if it only comes from Luton. Or perhaps you
think con artists don't exist in the UK?

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman dave(a)davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
From: Roland Perry on
In message <5119f0c1bcdave(a)davenoise.co.uk>, at 17:33:17 on Wed, 19 May
2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave(a)davenoise.co.uk> remarked:
>In article <9GNuafz4b+8LFAB3(a)perry.co.uk>,
> Roland Perry <roland(a)perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> >You want to complain something is of poor quality before you've even
>> >seen it? Could I ask why you bought it, then?
>
>> Do keep up... if people buy a laptop battery to be shipped from China
>> (because it's cheaper), they are taking a risk that it won't be a
>> full-spec device. We then went on to discuss potential remedies.
>
>Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?

In more ethical factories.

>And I'd suggest you check the specs of *anything* before buying.

If the seller is a liar, the claimed spec is irrelevant.

>Can end in tears if you don't. Even if it only comes from Luton. Or
>perhaps you think con artists don't exist in the UK?

Of course they do, but they are easier to get redress from (directly or
indirectly).
--
Roland Perry
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <5119f0c1bcdave(a)davenoise.co.uk>, at 17:33:17 on Wed, 19 May
> 2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave(a)davenoise.co.uk> remarked:
>>
>>> Do keep up... if people buy a laptop battery to be shipped from China
>>> (because it's cheaper), they are taking a risk that it won't be a
>>> full-spec device. We then went on to discuss potential remedies.
>>
>> Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?
>
> In more ethical factories.

Bwhaha.

there are only half a dozen LIPO manufacturing plants in the world and
almost all are in China.

The difference is the spec of the cells they sell, and how they are
packaged. not where they are made.

From: pete on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 17:50:53 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <5119f0c1bcdave(a)davenoise.co.uk>, at 17:33:17 on Wed, 19 May
> 2010, "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave(a)davenoise.co.uk> remarked:
>>
>>> Do keep up... if people buy a laptop battery to be shipped from China
>>> (because it's cheaper), they are taking a risk that it won't be a
>>> full-spec device. We then went on to discuss potential remedies.
>>
>>Where do you imagine the full price maker's batteries are made?
>
> In more ethical factories.
>
>>And I'd suggest you check the specs of *anything* before buying.
>
> If the seller is a liar, the claimed spec is irrelevant.

No. If the seller is in britain you can tip off thelr local trading
standards. It's also easier and quicker to get a replacement from a UK
based operation (presuming they don't have to send it back to .cn
first). The ease of getting satisfaction has a real financial worth.

From: Roland Perry on
In message <slrnhv8amc.a0i.no-one(a)corv.local>, at 18:15:40 on Wed, 19
May 2010, pete <no-one(a)unknown.com> remarked:
>>>And I'd suggest you check the specs of *anything* before buying.
>>
>> If the seller is a liar, the claimed spec is irrelevant.
>
>No. If the seller is in britain you can tip off thelr local trading
>standards.

I think you meant "yes", if the seller is a liar, and lives in China,
you are stuffed.

>The ease of getting satisfaction has a real financial worth.

Exactly, which is why I've been suggesting people buy from a locally
based outfit.
--
Roland Perry
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last