From: Ray Fischer on
Outing Trolls is FUN! <otif(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:00:24 -0600, Outing Trolls is FUN!
><otif(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
>

>>Taken about 5-10 minutes after sunset in a dark overgrown cypress-swamp @
>>330mm, f2.4, 1/10s, ISO200, with a hand-held P&S camera, no image
>>stabilization in that camera either.
>
>For anyone that still might doubt the ambient light levels,

Everyone doubts your sanity, troll.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Bob Larter on
Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 07:17:11 -0800 (PST), -hh
> <recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote:
>
>> the lame Copy & Paste troll writes:

>>> And there was a stone in your shoe, your girdle was too tight, you forgot
>>> your glasses, there was a string broken in your tennis racket, and your
>>> shoelace was untied ... yadda yadda yadda ...
>> Try to make whatever lame excuses you want, but the reality is that I
>> also had a new digital P&S with me, yet what I chose to put online
>> years before this debate as the better shot wasn't one from the P&S.
>
> BETTER?? LOL!!!!!!!!!
>
>> And naturally, we can expect to never see any image from you that
>> represents something comparable...call it a long telephoto at a gloomy
>> & flat EV 5-9 lighting (semitropical cloud forest), which is far
>> revmoved from the nice and bright EV 14-16 that was present in John's
>> sunlit shot.
>>
>> -hh
>
> Yet shadows are clearly seen in your photo because it was *SO* far removed
> from sunlight. LOL! (Yet he thinks he can get away with his DSLR-Trolls'
> bullshit as often as he does.)
>
> And the stone was in your shoe, your girdle was too tight yadda yadda
> yadda... LOL!
>
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2723/4075539835_e91b811770_o.jpg

Jeez, do you think you could over-sharpen that tiny shot even more?
ROTFL.

From: Bob Larter on
nospam wrote:

>>> that's exactly what it is. word games. technically you can upgrade a
>>> car, even though virtually nobody does it.
>> And technically, buying a new lens for your DSLR is 'upgrading' it.
>
> or downgrading it, depending on the lens :)

There is that, of course. OTOH, you can also swap in a new memory card,
or bolt on a better flash gun, all of which count as upgrades.

> although you can't swap out the cpu in a camera, there have been memory
> or other hardware upgrades for some older dslrs.
>
> you can also add new features with a firmware upgrade. for example, the
> 2.0 firmware on the nikon d70 added all of the features in the nikon
> d70s that did not require a change in hardware, such as a wired remote
> jack.

Indeed.

From: Bob Larter on
nospam wrote:
> In article <4af0e3bf$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>, Bob Larter
> <bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> By that same logic, one can upgrade one's DSLR by buying a new lens or
>> flash gun for it. You can't do that with your P&S.
>
> there are add on accessory lenses and if there's a hotshoe or pc
> socket, an external flash can be used. worst case, use a slave.

*snicker* Yeah, *snort* I suppose *chuckle* you could do that.

From: -hh on
Bob Larter <bobbylar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam wrote:
> >
> > there are add on accessory lenses and if there's a hotshoe or pc
> > socket, an external flash can be used. worst case, use a slave.
>
> *snicker* Yeah, *snort* I suppose *chuckle* you could do that.

Slaves do have shortcomings, but they can be made to work in some
circumstances...merely not as capable as a properly wired strobe.

When it comes to slave-triggering off of a built-in strobe in a P&S,
the application can be very critical: for example, in underwater
photography, one generally maximizes the lens-strobe separation
distance so as to minimize backscatter.

Unfortunately, the general necessity of allowing the P&S's built-in to
fire so as to trigger a slave effectively assures that in-water
particulates will definitely be fully illuminated, thereby introducing
a "snow storm" of backscatter from plankton/etc which effectively
destroys the composition.

I have some P&S+slave photos from my 2007 manta ray dive if anyone
wants to see posted an illustration as to how severe this "snow storm"
backscatter problem can be on what otherwise appeared to be innocuous
appearing water conditions..

-hh