From: Bob Larter on
nospam wrote:
> In article <w63Im.51407$PH1.4533(a)edtnps82>, Dudley Hanks
> <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>
>> John just likes to play his little word games, and he doesn't care if he is
>> even in the same galaxy as the rest of us, let alone the same ball park.
>
> that's exactly what it is. word games. technically you can upgrade a
> car, even though virtually nobody does it.

And technically, buying a new lens for your DSLR is 'upgrading' it.

From: nospam on
In article <4af0e434$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>, Bob Larter
<bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> John just likes to play his little word games, and he doesn't care if he
> >> is
> >> even in the same galaxy as the rest of us, let alone the same ball park.
> >
> > that's exactly what it is. word games. technically you can upgrade a
> > car, even though virtually nobody does it.
>
> And technically, buying a new lens for your DSLR is 'upgrading' it.

or downgrading it, depending on the lens :)

although you can't swap out the cpu in a camera, there have been memory
or other hardware upgrades for some older dslrs.

you can also add new features with a firmware upgrade. for example, the
2.0 firmware on the nikon d70 added all of the features in the nikon
d70s that did not require a change in hardware, such as a wired remote
jack.
From: nospam on
In article <4af0e3bf$1(a)dnews.tpgi.com.au>, Bob Larter
<bobbylarter(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> By that same logic, one can upgrade one's DSLR by buying a new lens or
> flash gun for it. You can't do that with your P&S.

there are add on accessory lenses and if there's a hotshoe or pc
socket, an external flash can be used. worst case, use a slave.
From: -hh on
John Navas <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> -hh wrote:
> [other attributions]

> [stuff edited out by John]
>

> >[another choice is] The Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III sells for $160,
> >although it is f/5.6 whereas John is curious because I specifically
> >mentioned it having an f/4.0 solution. ...
>
> Mediocre lens. No thanks.

Sure, there's better (such as my f/4 solution), but this lens is
adequate for all of those "typical" uses, such as 4"x6" prints and
online Web presentation, that we hear justifies a P&S because
proverbially no one ever needs the big dSLR/lens 'overkill' to make
huge prints.

-hh
From: Ray Fischer on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:26:44 -0800 (PST), -hh
><recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in

>>The Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III sells for $160, although it is f/
>>5.6 whereas John is curious because I specifically mentioned it having
>>an f/4.0 solution. ...
>
>Mediocre lens. No thanks.

But with processing such as is done with your P&S the results can be
quite decent.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net