From: John Navas on
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 19:09:50 -0800 (PST), -hh
<recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in
<9b422e32-d03c-4489-8106-cf6a738c89fc(a)c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>:

>John Navas <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>> -hh wrote:
>> [other attributions]

>> [stuff edited out by John]
>>

>> >[another choice is] The Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III sells for $160,
>> >although it is f/5.6 whereas John is curious because I specifically
>> >mentioned it having an f/4.0 solution. ...
>>
>> Mediocre lens. No thanks.
>
>Sure, there's better (such as my f/4 solution), but this lens is
>adequate for all of those "typical" uses, such as 4"x6" prints and
>online Web presentation, that we hear justifies a P&S because
>proverbially no one ever needs the big dSLR/lens 'overkill' to make
>huge prints.

Not even close to the Leica super-zoom lens on the Panasonic.
Thanks for proving my point.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Ray Fischer on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 19:09:50 -0800 (PST), -hh
><recscuba_google(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in
><9b422e32-d03c-4489-8106-cf6a738c89fc(a)c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>:
>
>>John Navas <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>> -hh wrote:
>>> [other attributions]

>>> [stuff edited out by John]

>>> Mediocre lens. No thanks.
>>
>>Sure, there's better (such as my f/4 solution), but this lens is
>>adequate for all of those "typical" uses, such as 4"x6" prints and
>>online Web presentation, that we hear justifies a P&S because
>>proverbially no one ever needs the big dSLR/lens 'overkill' to make
>>huge prints.
>
>Not even close to the Leica super-zoom lens on the Panasonic.

Bullshitting is a poor substitute for facts.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: David J Taylor on
"No spam please" <me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote in message
[]
> I'd better clarify the comment about the 747.
> If one system on the aircraft (the fuel gauge system) was not immune to
> intererference from another system on that aircraft (the radio
> transmitters) then why should we expect any immunity from electronic
> systems brought on board by passengers?
>
> Regards, Rog.

Rog,

It's because interference to a non-radio system from a transmitter is most
likely to be due simply to the field-strength of transmitted signal, than
to its exact frequency or modulation type. I.e. the signals emitted by a
non-transmitting consumer electronic system are of a much lower field
strength. There is probably no sensitive radio receiver in the fuel gauge
system. That's why it's a reasonable expectation - in general. I should
add that I don't know details of the specific systems involved, though,
I'm talking in general.

David

From: David J Taylor on
"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
[]
> I believe Canon calls it "digital zoom," which is at least a bit more
> honest. Using the word "optical" implies something to do with the lens
> elements, which of course it is completely different.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

No, digital zoom is something else. In the digital zoom systems I've used
the camera output remains at the nominal number of megapixels, so a 200%
digital zoom on an 8MP sensor uses the middle 2MP, but interpolates the
result to 8MP. Under some circumstances this can be useful - I've made
tests where the JPEG from a digital zoom image is marginally better than a
2:1 resize in post-processing. A 200% "extended optical zoom" simply
outputs the middle part of the image as a 2MP image.

In both cases, by only using the central part of the image, the focus and
exposure measurement functions can be restricted to a smaller part of the
total image, and may therefore, be faster or more accurate.

I have turned off the digital zoom on my cameras, though.

Cheers,
David

From: Dudley Hanks on

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.not-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:Fp9Im.1484$Ym4.421(a)text.news.virginmedia.com...
> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message
> []
>> I believe Canon calls it "digital zoom," which is at least a bit more
>> honest. Using the word "optical" implies something to do with the lens
>> elements, which of course it is completely different.
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> No, digital zoom is something else. In the digital zoom systems I've used
> the camera output remains at the nominal number of megapixels, so a 200%
> digital zoom on an 8MP sensor uses the middle 2MP, but interpolates the
> result to 8MP. Under some circumstances this can be useful - I've made
> tests where the JPEG from a digital zoom image is marginally better than a
> 2:1 resize in post-processing. A 200% "extended optical zoom" simply
> outputs the middle part of the image as a 2MP image.
>
> In both cases, by only using the central part of the image, the focus and
> exposure measurement functions can be restricted to a smaller part of the
> total image, and may therefore, be faster or more accurate.
>
> I have turned off the digital zoom on my cameras, though.
>
> Cheers,
> David

So, the Panasonic's extended optical zoom over-rides the image size
selection and outputs a smaller image as you progressively zoom out?

That would be roughly equivalent to using the digital zoom on a Canon and
setting the image to a smaller size?

Take Care,
Dudley