From: Better Info on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:05:11 -0800, John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:27:55 -0800, J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com>
>wrote in <qofve5la7lrts5g05rif3jp6ed94cdcr6m(a)4ax.com>:
>
>>John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>>Standard Optical Zoom "only" goes up 1o 480 mm,
>>>and Extended Optical Zoom goes up to 860 mm,
>>
>>What is "extended optical zoom"? An addon-lens?
>
>Automatic cropping of the image. What makes it better than cropping in
>post-processing is the ability to see a magnified final image.

Another reason that most people don't realize: In-camera cropping by using
digital zoom is done directly from the sensor's RAW data. If you try to
crop and upsize in the computer from a camera's resulting JPG file you lose
some resolution and detail. Digital-zoom is not empty zoom. Unless you have
access to and the editing time needed for the RAW data, the camera will do
a better job at cropping and upsampling by using the camera's digital-zoom
than you can do in your computer, guaranteed.

For those of you that don't believe this, test it yourself. I did. That's
how I know. Tested it on several makes and models of cameras using the most
advanced post-processing upsampling algorithms available. Using images
taken from my own ISO-12233 test chart, the very same one that dpreview
uses for their resolution tests. Digital-zoom is not empty zoom if you are
going to use the quality JPG file right from the camera. Those that decry
digital-zoom are just blindly parroting more net misinformation that was
started by morons.

From: Dudley Hanks on

"J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 21:27:55 -0800, J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com>
>>wrote in <qofve5la7lrts5g05rif3jp6ed94cdcr6m(a)4ax.com>:

>>>What is "extended optical zoom"? An addon-lens?
>>
>>Automatic cropping of the image.
>
> And what does digital cropping have to do with "[extended] optical
> zoom"?
> Calling cropping zooming is plain lying (not by you but probably by
> marketing).
>
> jue

I believe Canon calls it "digital zoom," which is at least a bit more
honest. Using the word "optical" implies something to do with the lens
elements, which of course it is completely different.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:46:07 -0800, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:04:07 -0800, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in
><q2l0f5pfr8o5vv4ultjs5bnjhrbaps3g3o(a)4ax.com>:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:03:32 -0500, tony cooper
>><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
>><2beve558371hbukcr48a0ic6770v9aegjc(a)4ax.com>:
>>
>>>On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 20:29:21 -0800, John Navas

>>>And, of course, you have examples of your "better than dslr" bird
>>>photographs ...
>>
>>I do indeed. :)
>
>And, making an exception to my rule:
><http://i38.tinypic.com/mukgzm.jpg>
>
>Your turn. Image you've taken yourself.

I'd have taken it over. It's a decent, but not particularly good
photograph. The heron's head, feathers on the head, and beak are not
sharply in focus. The composition is bland. The cropping is
unimaginative. Overall, it's run-of-the-mill bird photo.

Why do you feel that this is better than a dslr can do?

It's not a *bad* photo, but it's certainly not a photo that makes a
case for your type of camera.

Here's a photograph of a heron that I took, and one that I would rate
to be about equal with yours. Like yours, my heron's head and beak
are not sharply in focus. My lack of sharp focus extends down the
neck, though.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Animals/Birds/1000/499715774_XfCuM-X3.jpg

Neither one of these are photos we should brag about or say "Buy this
model camera because you can get photos like this." I understand
that, though. You don't seem to.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: nospam on
In article <bg31f5tbpkdq363l9lvsc1vrs5mrpdu20v(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Are you being disingenuous or do you simply lack car experience?
> I've done a number of engine swaps (not simple replacements), and
> I've added aftermarket intercooled turbo systems, suspension systems,
> fuel systems, air conditioning, etc, etc.

the average car owner is *not* going to swap an engine or add a turbo
or any of the other stuff you list. a typical upgrade would likely be
nothing more than a fancy stereo or some seat covers.

meanwhile, an slr owner can *easily* pick the appropriate lens, without
any effort at all.
From: nospam on
In article <ES%Hm.50390$Db2.20586(a)edtnps83>, Dudley Hanks
<dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:

> I believe Canon calls it "digital zoom," which is at least a bit more
> honest. Using the word "optical" implies something to do with the lens
> elements, which of course it is completely different.

yes, it's very deceptive.