From: nospam on
In article <2qbve51o9b2bod0cpou82tvk4lgj4363hi(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >>Panasonic with optically-stabilized Leica super-zoom lens is
> >>inexpensive, compact and light, excellent for birding.
> >
> >Chickens, perhaps. Turkeys, ostriches, emus, and caged birds maybe.
> >Large birds that you can close enough to touch.
>
> Standard Optical Zoom "only" goes up 1o 480 mm,
> and Extended Optical Zoom goes up to 860 mm,
> quite sufficient for most birding,

you've got to be kidding.

extended optical zoom is nothing more than cropping off most of the
pixels leaving just 3 mp. any camera can do that, and it's nothing at
all like using a real 860mm lens.

> but those ranges are easily extended with a teleconverter
> to over 800 mm and over 1400 mm respectively.

you can easily use teleconverters with slr lenses and you can crop the
slr image for 'extended optical zoom.'

> Much better than dSLR. :D

wrong.
From: J�rgen Exner on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>Standard Optical Zoom "only" goes up 1o 480 mm,
>and Extended Optical Zoom goes up to 860 mm,

What is "extended optical zoom"? An addon-lens?

jue
From: nospam on
In article <qofve5la7lrts5g05rif3jp6ed94cdcr6m(a)4ax.com>, J�rgen Exner
<jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> >Standard Optical Zoom "only" goes up 1o 480 mm,
> >and Extended Optical Zoom goes up to 860 mm,
>
> What is "extended optical zoom"? An addon-lens?

cropping.
From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:05:34 -0400, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> >Chickens, perhaps. Turkeys, ostriches, emus, and caged birds maybe.
>> >Large birds that you can close enough to touch.
>>
>> Standard Optical Zoom "only" goes up 1o 480 mm,
>> and Extended Optical Zoom goes up to 860 mm,
>> quite sufficient for most birding,
>
>you've got to be kidding.
>
>extended optical zoom is nothing more than cropping off most of the
>pixels leaving just 3 mp. any camera can do that, and it's nothing at
>all like using a real 860mm lens.
>
>> but those ranges are easily extended with a teleconverter
>> to over 800 mm and over 1400 mm respectively.
>
>you can easily use teleconverters with slr lenses and you can crop the
>slr image for 'extended optical zoom.'

While reducing your useful DSLR lens' aperture by 2X's or more, the time
when you really need full aperture is at long focal lengths. To top that
off, ALL lenses of those focal-lengths for DSLRs are already crippled by
having far smaller apertures than any super-zoom P&S camera.

Try again, you psychotic and deceptive know-nothing pretend-photographer
DSLR-Troll.

From: Bob Larter on
John Navas wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:57:46 -0500, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
> <ebsue594peulupu5l57sp3jca4rquh16ge(a)4ax.com>:
>
>> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 15:16:23 -0800, John Navas
>> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>> Panasonic with optically-stabilized Leica super-zoom lens is
>>> inexpensive, compact and light, excellent for birding.
>> Chickens, perhaps. Turkeys, ostriches, emus, and caged birds maybe.
>> Large birds that you can close enough to touch.
>
> Standard Optical Zoom "only" goes up 1o 480 mm,
> and Extended Optical Zoom goes

ie; 'digital zoom'. *snicker*

up to 860 mm,
> quite sufficient for most birding,
> but those ranges are easily extended with a teleconverter
> to over 800 mm and over 1400 mm respectively.
>
> Much better than dSLR. :D

You've obviously never tried to use such a combination for real photography.