From: nospam on
In article <7k71f59li00aq632tpmrf3d7dehg8smr2t(a)4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> When upgrading a dslr body, the owner can continue to benefit from the
> investment because the upgrades can be used on other bodies purchased
> in the future. The upgrades you mention are good for that car only.

not true! you can take the engine out just as easy as you put it in!
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:19:06 -0500, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
<dt61f5h8fu406qfigajd9hblgff1g2nhds(a)4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:46:07 -0800, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:04:07 -0800, John Navas
>><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in
>><q2l0f5pfr8o5vv4ultjs5bnjhrbaps3g3o(a)4ax.com>:
>>
>>>On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:03:32 -0500, tony cooper
>>><tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in

>>>I do indeed. :)
>>
>>And, making an exception to my rule:
>><http://i38.tinypic.com/mukgzm.jpg>
>>
>>Your turn. Image you've taken yourself.
>
>I'd have taken it over. It's a decent, but not particularly good
>photograph. The heron's head, feathers on the head, and beak are not
>sharply in focus. The composition is bland. The cropping is
>unimaginative. Overall, it's run-of-the-mill bird photo.

You presume to put down a photo from a small compressed sample.
Why am I not surprised. You truly are a waste of time.

>Why do you feel that this is better than a dslr can do?

"The best camera is the one you have with you."

>Here's a photograph of a heron that I took, and one that I would rate
>to be about equal with yours. Like yours, my heron's head and beak
>are not sharply in focus. My lack of sharp focus extends down the
>neck, though.
>http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Animals/Birds/1000/499715774_XfCuM-X3.jpg

No Exif or other information provided. Why am I not surprised.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:28:14 -0500, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
<7k71f59li00aq632tpmrf3d7dehg8smr2t(a)4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 12:12:56 -0800, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>Are you being disingenuous or do you simply lack car experience?
>>I've done a number of engine swaps (not simple replacements), and
>>I've added aftermarket intercooled turbo systems, suspension systems,
>>fuel systems, air conditioning, etc, etc.
>
>I'm a bit nonplussed that someone can think that adding things like
>the above to a car is upgrading it, but adding lenses, filters, flash
>units, teleconverters, extension tubes, etc to a dslr is not also
>upgrading the camera.
>
>When upgrading a dslr body, the owner can continue to benefit from the
>investment because the upgrades can be used on other bodies purchased
>in the future. The upgrades you mention are good for that car only.

Sorry, but no -- difference in kind, not degree.
Unless you've mastered swapping out the CPU?
;)

From: -hh on
Ray Fischer wrote:
> John Navas  <spamfilt...(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> > -hh <recscuba_goo...(a)huntzinger.com> wrote in

> >>Versus a dSLR combination of 448mm at f/4.0 ..
>
> >What lens (including price, size and weight,
> >and how long you've owned it)?

You don't recall? I've mentioned it repeatedly before. But to
address your other questions:

Price: <5% of the cost of vacations I've already taken it on
Size: <5% of the baggage for vacations I've already taken it on
Weight: <5% (but ~10% of my bush plane flights) baggage weight limits
Ownership: a half decade and counting

Apologies for using different metrics than what you were expecting:
its simply a matter of priorities and perspective, andI know that mine
are different than yours. For you, the answers are quite
predictable:

Price: can't afford it
Size: too big
Weight: too heavy
Ownership: "never", because you've sworn that you'll never trust
anything from Canon ever, ever, ever (sic) again

> A 70-300 zoom can be had for $200.  That's a 112-480 equivalent on a
> 1.6x crop body.  I've had one for many years now, although I don't use
> it anymore since I prefer better lenses and my camera le's me upgrade
> to a better lens.

The Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III sells for $160, although it is f/
5.6 whereas John is curious because I specifically mentioned it having
an f/4.0 solution. Naturally, choosing to pick up that extra stop
doesn't come about for free...but then again, I also get the benefit
from the same system of having a 300mm focal length at f/2.8 when I
want that.

FWIW, I did think about an f/5.6 aperature long telephoto system, and
the Canon lens that I would have gone with on a crop body would have
been the EF 100-400mm IS, which yields an effective 640mm at f/5.6

And for each of the systems, if we apply a crop (aka "Extended Optical
Zoom") to 1/4 area (to double the focal length), it works out to
roughly 900mm at f/4 with my combination, or 1280mm at f/5.6 with the
one that was my second choice.

In the meantime, if I really get bitten by the birding bug, the next
step up is a 400mm f/4 prime, which would give me 640mm at f/4, and
~900mm at f/5.6 ...all before any cropping. However, a higher
priority for me is to modernize my underwater rig, which is still
using 35mm film. The challenge there has been the "pesky" 15mm WA,
for which the Copy & Paste troll still hasn't found a P&S solution
that compares to the 40 year old 1970s vintage Nikkor Nikonos UW-15mm
prime.

-hh
From: nospam on
In article <kta1f5t69u1pc9ngbt0rmghaeoo0bb5ksp(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >When upgrading a dslr body, the owner can continue to benefit from the
> >investment because the upgrades can be used on other bodies purchased
> >in the future. The upgrades you mention are good for that car only.
>
> Sorry, but no -- difference in kind, not degree.
> Unless you've mastered swapping out the CPU?

it takes a few minutes to do a firmware upgrade which in many cases
adds new features. how long does it take to modify a car's engine, let
alone replace it?