From: No spam please on
"Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message

> "No spam please" <me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote in message
>> "Neil Harrington" <secret(a)illumnati.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "No spam please" <me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote in message
>>> learned something from buying the wrong lens anyway. If (as you
>>> mentioned in a much earlier post) the D50 only works in certain modes
>>> with that lens, I assume it is not an autofocus lens since I believe
>>> that camera should work fully and properly with any autofocus
>>> Nikon-mount lens.
>>>
>>> It would help a lot to know exactly what sort of lens she bought. Since
>>> you indicate that she was primarily interested in keeping the cost down,
>>> that suggests that what she *probably* bought was one of the many older
>>> medium-range zoom lenses, presumably not autofocis ( ? ) since such
>>> lenses are widely available and relatively cheap.
>>>
>>> If that is the sort of lens she bought, then she has probably discovered
>>> that it is not only not fully functional on her camera, but also that it
>>> isn't really long enough for birding anyway. People who are not used to
>>> cameras and lenses often have a very exaggerated notion of what a zoom
>>> lens will do. Unless she can get pretty close to the bird (or it is
>>> pretty large bird), she most likely needs something a good deal longer
>>> than the typical zoom lens. That may well be out of her price range.
>>>

>> Hello again Neil.
>>
>> I phoned my friend to-day. The lens is an autofocus lens but, if I
>> understand things correctly, it needs a body with a focus motor in it and
>> the D50 doesn't have this.
>
> Yes it does! The D40, D40x and D60 do not have the autofocus motor in the
> body and so cannot use older Nikon AF lenses that require that
> "screwdriver" coupling. But the D50 is basically a lower-priced version of
> the D70, and it does have the AF motor in the body. It should work just
> fine with any Nikon-mount AF lens.
>
>> She's using the 300mm end to photograph birds about 20 feet away. The
>> photos are more satisfying than she'd get with the D50's kit lens
>
> Yes, I'll say! :-)
>
>> so she's happy for now.
>
> Good. Some people would not regard a 300mm lens as quite long enough for
> bird photography, but if she can get within 20 feet and the birds are not
> too tiny, that would be good enough. I had assumed from what you said
> about cost being an important factor that it was not that long a zoom.
>
> Now what I don't understand is, since it's an autofocus zoom, what exactly
> is the problem? You mentioned that you understood it would only work in a
> couple of modes. It should work fine on the D50 in every way, though if
> it's a low-priced lens without Vibration Reduction (Nikon's name for image
> stabilization), hand-holding it would be a big problem at the long end.

Hello guys.

Thanks for the information.
The Nikon body definitely doesn't have the mechanical focus coupling so it
may well be a D40 and not a D50.
I've had a look at www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html which also confirms
that the D40 needs manual focus with some Nikon lenses.

Regards, Rob.

From: No spam please on
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <hcnkdu$vmm$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>, No spam please
> <me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote:
>
>> As I said
>> earlier, a friend who operates an airfield radio found that her own radio
>> receiver upset the aircraft's systems.
>
> but you didn't say how she determined that. did she turn on the radio
> and the plane suddenly dive or make a sudden turn? how did she rule out
> some other effect?

As I understand it, the pilots found a malfunction and asked cabin crew to
see if anyone was using a radio receiver or transmitter. I don't know the
aircraft type.

Regards, Rog.

From: George Kerby on

On 11/2/09 10:29 PM, in article 2qbve51o9b2bod0cpou82tvk4lgj4363hi(a)4ax.com,
"John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 18:57:46 -0500, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
> <ebsue594peulupu5l57sp3jca4rquh16ge(a)4ax.com>:
>
>> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 15:16:23 -0800, John Navas
>> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>>> Panasonic with optically-stabilized Leica super-zoom lens is
>>> inexpensive, compact and light, excellent for birding.
>>
>> Chickens, perhaps. Turkeys, ostriches, emus, and caged birds maybe.
>> Large birds that you can close enough to touch.
>
> Standard Optical Zoom "only" goes up 1o 480 mm,
> and Extended Optical Zoom goes up to 860 mm,
> quite sufficient for most birding,
> but those ranges are easily extended with a teleconverter
> to over 800 mm and over 1400 mm respectively.
>
> Much better than dSLR. :D
Fix your clock, troll!

From: nospam on
In article <hcpehb$vq0$2(a)adenine.netfront.net>, No spam please
<me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote:

> >> As I said
> >> earlier, a friend who operates an airfield radio found that her own radio
> >> receiver upset the aircraft's systems.
> >
> > but you didn't say how she determined that. did she turn on the radio
> > and the plane suddenly dive or make a sudden turn? how did she rule out
> > some other effect?
>
> As I understand it, the pilots found a malfunction and asked cabin crew to
> see if anyone was using a radio receiver or transmitter. I don't know the
> aircraft type.

malfunctions can occur for a variety of reasons. that's not proof that
the radio was the cause.
From: nospam on
In article <hcpegt$vq0$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>, No spam please
<me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote:

> The Nikon body definitely doesn't have the mechanical focus coupling so it
> may well be a D40 and not a D50.

if there's no coupling, it's a d40, not a d50.