First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Cross communication between Linux and XP
After a couple of days of playing around with samba I have been ablke to get linux to share files with xp, but cannot figure out how to get linux to access shared files on xp. Anyone have a clue as too whether you can do this at the same time and if so how? I am running ubuntu 10.04 and samba4. -- Nigh... 2 Jul 2010 00:25
getting two subnets on the same ethernet adapter
I have ethernet adapters that have twin MAC addresses: one for the regular use and the other for a Baseboard Management Controller (IPMI) that can be used to reboot hung machines etc. All my normal eth cards are assigned to a 10.0.x.x network by DHCP. So far so good. Now if I try to set the second IP addr... 1 Jul 2010 18:56
USB Networking and Interconnectivity adapters
I need to buy a couple of usb networking adaptors for some of my computers, and am looking for recommendations, before I jump on ebay to try and source them. The adaptors should all be capable of running using open source (preferably kernel.org team provided drivers), and should use inbuilt firmware, rather ... 4 Jul 2010 05:47
Blocking arbitrary ports to some users
Hello all, Is there any util like iptables + xt_owner to block access to port to given user? Iptables block packets flow. I want to achive effect like this: There will be error if user with id=1000 want bind to port, e.g. netcat -l -p 12345 return error similar to one if we want access to privileged ports. Thanks ... 1 Jul 2010 07:45
VPNC connection problems
Hi all, I am trying to work out where my notebook has a problem. Last week I could connect to the work VPN, and this week I cannot. (No support available because I use VPNC at home to connect and they mandate Windows only. Another topic for another time.) The PC can authenicate with the server, and bring... 27 Jun 2010 06:19
Connecting via ssh from machines on different subnets
Hello, I have a machine B with two nics; and machines A and C with one nic each. I can ssh to machine C only from machine B (they are connected directly by a cable). C is 10.0.0.30 and B is 10.0.0.20. I can ssh to machine B from A (A and B are connected also directly, but on the second nic of machine B; for t... 25 Jun 2010 05:32
switch chip driver
Hello, I have a driver for 5-port switch, representing the switch as one eth0 device from the OS perspective. I would like to make it have eth0..eth4 ports respectively, so that I could treat each port individually. As far as I understand, the kernel network machinery for Ethernet works like this: struct... 27 Jun 2010 10:38
Netfilter clarification
My question is how a packet generated from a process running on the local machine is handled. See below for my confusion. Does it go to the INPUT or the OUTPUT chain? From this website: http://security.maruhn.com/howto/packet-filtering-HOWTO-6.html I read this: "...a program running on the box can send netwo... 5 Jul 2010 23:14
Firewall setup
Hi, I've a new Linux box (running Debian Lenny) which is connected via a WLAN card to a DSL router. The firewall of the DSL router is disabled. Now I would like to install a firewall on my Linux system. Which connections do I need to block in general? Are there any graphical tools that help me to setup firewal... 22 Jun 2010 17:08
Degraded network (protocol problems?)
Hi! We have in our network a Ubuntu server working correctly as a web server & Linux Terminal Server but, unexpectedly, this machine disconnects from the network. In this moments, this machine doesn't response ping but it response with arping (I use Hardping tool [1] from a Windows machine). I think it's not ... 20 Jun 2010 18:56