From: Flavio Matani on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-27, David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> >>
> >> Would love it more if it had a wire. Probably why they stress you can
> >> use a mouse too, as it is wireless you can't replace your mouse with it.
> >
> > Eh? All my mice in active use are wireless, and I could replace any of
> > them with a Magic Trackpad (assuming the computers were running Snow
> > Leopard).
> >
> >> I love wireless mice, you have the freedom of not getting the cord
> >> tangled or caught for the minor downside that they need charging
> >> occasionally. But I never got wireless fixed thing. Still the downside
> >> that they need charging, but without the upside!
> >
> > I love the concept of "wireless fixed thing". I have the 2007 model
> > Apple wireless keyboard on a Mac Mini in my lounge as part of my
> > entertanment system. It is small enough I can tuck it away in a drawer,
> > and use it at least two metres away from the computer, in a variety of
> > positions. (I can also borrow it to use with my iPad.)
>
> I wish it had been like a PS3 wireless controller - charge it up by
> connecting it via a USB lead, then disconnect it (if you wish) when
> charged.

US price is �69, UK price is �59? Hm, not entirely convinced on this
one. And as I have just given Apple a lot of my hard earned for an
iPhone 4 and not long before that for a wireless keyboard and a Magic
Mouse, may pass on this one..

--
flavio matani
guitar tuition
From: Jim on
On 2010-07-27, Flavio Matani <flavio_mataniTAKETHISBITOUT(a)mac.com> wrote:

>> > I love the concept of "wireless fixed thing". I have the 2007 model
>> > Apple wireless keyboard on a Mac Mini in my lounge as part of my
>> > entertanment system. It is small enough I can tuck it away in a drawer,
>> > and use it at least two metres away from the computer, in a variety of
>> > positions. (I can also borrow it to use with my iPad.)
>>
>> I wish it had been like a PS3 wireless controller - charge it up by
>> connecting it via a USB lead, then disconnect it (if you wish) when
>> charged.
>
> US price is �69, UK price is �59? Hm, not entirely convinced on this
> one. And as I have just given Apple a lot of my hard earned for an
> iPhone 4 and not long before that for a wireless keyboard and a Magic
> Mouse, may pass on this one..

Yes, the price does seem a little high. Sub-50 and I'd have been
tempted, but as I'm actually very happy with the Magic Mouse I may give
this a miss until I've read a few reviews.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: Woody on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-27, David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would love it more if it had a wire. Probably why they stress you
> > > can
>>> use a mouse too, as it is wireless you can't replace your mouse with
> > > it.
>>
>> Eh? All my mice in active use are wireless, and I could replace any
> > of
>> them with a Magic Trackpad (assuming the computers were running Snow
>> Leopard).
>>
>>> I love wireless mice, you have the freedom of not getting the cord
>>> tangled or caught for the minor downside that they need charging
>>> occasionally. But I never got wireless fixed thing. Still the
> > > downside
>>> that they need charging, but without the upside!
>>
>> I love the concept of "wireless fixed thing". I have the 2007 model
>> Apple wireless keyboard on a Mac Mini in my lounge as part of my
>> entertanment system. It is small enough I can tuck it away in a
> > drawer,
>> and use it at least two metres away from the computer, in a variety
> > of
>> positions. (I can also borrow it to use with my iPad.)
>
> I wish it had been like a PS3 wireless controller - charge it up by
> connecting it via a USB lead, then disconnect it (if you wish) when
> charged.

Indeed, that would have been the perfect compromise. I don't mind paying
extra to get a bit more versatility (albeit for something I don't want)
but do feel a bit miffed that if I want one (and I do) I have to pay
extra for reduced usability for me.

--
Woody
From: Jim on
On 2010-07-27, Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

>> I wish it had been like a PS3 wireless controller - charge it up by
>> connecting it via a USB lead, then disconnect it (if you wish) when
>> charged.
>
> Indeed, that would have been the perfect compromise. I don't mind paying
> extra to get a bit more versatility (albeit for something I don't want)
> but do feel a bit miffed that if I want one (and I do) I have to pay
> extra for reduced usability for me.

The big problem of course is that rechargeable batteries don't last
anything like as long as disposables. You'd be plugging it in once a
week or so. HOW WOULD PEOPLE COPE?!

Jim

From: Woody on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-27, Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wish it had been like a PS3 wireless controller - charge it up by
>>> connecting it via a USB lead, then disconnect it (if you wish) when
>>> charged.
>>
>> Indeed, that would have been the perfect compromise. I don't mind
> > paying
>> extra to get a bit more versatility (albeit for something I don't
> > want)
>> but do feel a bit miffed that if I want one (and I do) I have to pay
>> extra for reduced usability for me.
>
> The big problem of course is that rechargeable batteries don't last
> anything like as long as disposables. You'd be plugging it in once a
> week or so. HOW WOULD PEOPLE COPE?!

By not unplugging it!

--
Woody