First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
the rational way of discovering the proof of Infinitude of Twin Primes #5.14 Correcting Math
Let me talk about the rational way of going about discovering the proof of the Infinitude of Twin Primes. In my own case, I noticed a symmetry circa 1991 that W+1 and W-1 in multiply the lot and add or subtract 1 is a twin primes. So that steered me to the proof. And then it was the reasoning that all I needed wa... 11 Aug 2010 04:56
x^2 = 4*y^3 + 1
Is there any rational solution for x^2 = 4*y^3 + 1 ... 12 Aug 2010 08:12
A commutative non-Boolean ring such that all elements except 1 are zero divisors
William Elliot recently posted this question: If a commutative ring is such that all elements except 1 are zero divisors, must it be a Boolean ring? Remark: Actually, William Elliot asked the same question several years ago, and soon after that, I posted a construction showing that such a ring need not be B... 11 Aug 2010 19:09
Rubi 2 (Rule-based integrator, version 2)
On Aug 11, 6:48 am, Albert <Albert_R...(a)msn.com> wrote: Version 2 of Rubi (Rule-based integrator) is now available on the website http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/RuleBasedMathematics It consists of 1602 integration rules that can determine the antiderivative for a wide class of integrands.  Precise condi... 11 Aug 2010 07:06
why Davidson cannot learn from Flath -- Euclid's IP proof #5.13 Correcting Math
Transfer Principle wrote: Then what would happen if I were to say that both AP and Davidson are _wrong_ -- and that the true key theorem is: Every natural >1 is divisible by itself _and_1_ and has a prime divisor AneN (n>1 -> (n|n & 1|n & Ep (p prime & p|n))) Other than that, I don't... 11 Aug 2010 00:38
Mathematical Training for Engineering Curriculum
I will begin my freshman year as an Electrical Engineering major in about two weeks and I'm very anxious. I have always been good at math growing up but I seemed to hit a plateau when I reached my junior year of high school in my Algebra 2 class. I barely passed the class with a C- and ever since junior year of hig... 11 Aug 2010 00:38
Boolean Boogie
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, quasi wrote: If B is a Boolean ring with identity and I a proper prime ideal, then I is maximal ideal. If J ideal, I subset J and a in J\I, then a not in I; a(a + 1) = 0 in I; a + 1 in I; a + 1 in J; 1 = a + a + 1 in J; J = B. Can the same be said of Bo... 11 Aug 2010 07:06
John Ramsden shines Re: grounds for dismissal of Julia F. Knight and Chandler Davis as math journal editors #5.12 Correcting Math
The interesting thing about Twin Primes proof and all the other related prime infinity class of problems is that the history of mathematics got hung up on a invalid Indirect method, where the direct was mixed up with the indirect and thus a never a valid reductio ad absurdum. Once that logic mistake -- W+1 is n... 10 Aug 2010 23:33
maybe an overall Google glitch at that time Re: HELP!! Google is not allowing Archimedes Plutonium to use Google
plutonium.archimedes(a)gmail.com wrote: It appears Google is censoring Archimedes Plutonium for I cannot access google groups nor even my google gmail. Apparently enough people have complained to Google so as to cut my access to google groups. So if sci.math, sci.physics, sci. newsgroups does not ha... 10 Aug 2010 23:33
Maximal compact subgroups
Hello everybody! A maximal compact subgroup does not exist even for a general Lie group. However, there is the famous Malcev-Iwasawa theorem (e.g. http://books.google.com/books?id=3_BPupMDRr8C&pg=PA263&dq=malcev-iwasawa+theorem&hl=en&ei=ldhhTOSqKYWglAfP0fjuDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQ6AE... 13 Aug 2010 04:54