From: Martin on
On 31/05/10 13:49, Eef Hartman wrote:
> Martin <martin(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> These are what 1-click installed, plus nvidia-settings 190.53-1.pm.1.1
>> from the packman repository.
>>
>> Is it nvidia-settings that is screwing everything up?
>
> I don't know for sure, of course, but the version does suggest
> that it's for a much newer version of the NVidia software then
> your card supports. It may wel work but I would prefer to use
> the 'nvidia-settings' program that is IN the
> x11-video-nvidia-96.43.16
> package itself, that at least is the "right version" for the
> supplied drivers in those rpm's.

That sounds more than reasonable. Odd that the 1-Click installation
didn't use it.
Packman got in my PC as a result of the 1-Click installation.
I'll try and get the 96.13.16 version to install.
From: Martin on
On 31/05/10 17:01, Martin wrote:
> On 31/05/10 13:49, Eef Hartman wrote:
>> Martin <martin(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> These are what 1-click installed, plus nvidia-settings 190.53-1.pm.1.1
>>> from the packman repository.
>>>
>>> Is it nvidia-settings that is screwing everything up?
>>
>> I don't know for sure, of course, but the version does suggest
>> that it's for a much newer version of the NVidia software then
>> your card supports. It may wel work but I would prefer to use
>> the 'nvidia-settings' program that is IN the
>> x11-video-nvidia-96.43.16
>> package itself, that at least is the "right version" for the
>> supplied drivers in those rpm's.
>
> That sounds more than reasonable. Odd that the 1-Click installation
> didn't use it.
> Packman got in my PC as a result of the 1-Click installation.
> I'll try and get the 96.13.16 version to install.

There isn't a 'nvidia-settings' program IN the
x11-video-nvidia-96.43.16
They use the one in Packman.
I uninstalled "nvidia-settings" 190.53-1.pm.1.1
It made no difference. I can understand why.
From: Darklight on
Martin wrote:

> On 31/05/10 03:33, Darklight wrote:
>> Martin wrote:

>> from
>>>>

>>> The one from opensuse
>
> via One Click install!
>

>> if you want the 3d effects you would have to up grade compiz-fusion
>>

> I'm not worried about 3D effects. The problem I have is that basic
> windowing is incorrect. I can't drag windows, windows are either
> maximised or minimised, the minimise maximise close symbols are missing
> from the top right hand corner of each window. They are replaced by a
> busy/not busy symbol. "Open in terminal" produces a white rectangle on
> the screen that can't be typed into.
>
> I have been through all the possibilities given in the Open Suse entries
> for Nvidia boards, the result is always the same. I did what
> Houghi recommended even using a level 3 start. Sax2 has a tick box for
> de-activating 3D acceleration option, nvidia-settings hasn't otherwise
> the option panel is the same.

make sure you use the one click legacy driver for geforce4 from opensuse.
From: Martin on
On 31/05/10 17:23, Darklight wrote:
> Martin wrote:

> one
>>> from

>> via One Click install!
>>

>>> if you want the 3d effects you would have to up grade compiz-fusion
>>>

>> I'm not worried about 3D effects. The problem I have is that basic
>> windowing is incorrect. I can't drag windows, windows are either
>> maximised or minimised, the minimise maximise close symbols are missing
>> from the top right hand corner of each window. They are replaced by a
>> busy/not busy symbol. "Open in terminal" produces a white rectangle on
>> the screen that can't be typed into.
>>
>> I have been through all the possibilities given in the Open Suse entries
>> for Nvidia boards, the result is always the same. I did what
>> Houghi recommended even using a level 3 start. Sax2 has a tick box for
>> de-activating 3D acceleration option, nvidia-settings hasn't otherwise
>> the option panel is the same.
>
> make sure you use the one click legacy driver for geforce4 from opensuse.

I have and did. :o)
From: graham on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 17:39:25 +0200, Martin wrote:

> On 31/05/10 17:23, Darklight wrote:

>> make sure you use the one click legacy driver for geforce4 from
>> opensuse.
>
> I have and did. :o)

I had a similar problem.
When I looked in yast I noted four pairs of nvidia drivers.
I removed those not related to my card and everything worked.
( the pairs being the glx and kernel modeules. )
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Conexant Falcon II Help
Next: Firefox over ssh