From: Archimedes' Lever on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 11:50:45 +0200, Martin <martin(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 01/06/10 11:30, Martin wrote:

>>> I had a similar problem.
>>> When I looked in yast I noted four pairs of nvidia drivers.
>>> I removed those not related to my card and everything worked.
>>> ( the pairs being the glx and kernel modeules. )
>>
>> If only it was so easy :o)
>>
>> I only have the two that are required for my card installed, namely
>> x11-video-nvidia and nvidia-gfx-kmp-default
>>
>> Incidentally using Open Suse Linux 11.0 I had no problems with the
>> graphics board.
>
>In desperation I removed the GeForce 4 drivers and replaced them with
>the GeforceFx drivers. The normal boot failed but rebooting from the
>fail safe option, worked. I now have proper windowing. Very strange!

That indicates a grub boot line error. Examine the differences between
the safe boot line, and the normal boot line, and look for graphics calls
in the normal one.

It could be that the boot up mode that is being fed in is messing with
the x mode startup.

If all you need is windowing, you could simply go with frame buffer
modes too.
From: BlindBaby on
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:00:12 +0200, houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid>
wrote:

>Martin wrote:
>>> I never ever use the "one-click install" anymore, it failed too many
>>> times on me, so I don't really trust it.
>>
>> It was the first time that I used one -click". I feel the same way about
>> using it again now.
>
>Strange. I have used the once-click install many, many times and never
>ever had an issue with it. Including wth software for my NVidea card.
>
>houghi

Yes, but after years, you still do not know how to spell it right.

NVidia NO E.

You probably mispronounce the word nuclear as well.
From: BlindBaby on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:22:45 +0200, Martin <martin(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>I suspect the problem I have is caused by Nvidia providing one driver to
>support too many legacy cards.

Bullshit. It is a driver PACKAGE. It KNOWS which card you have and
drops in or compiles that card's drivers upon installation.

NVidia has been doing it better than the rest this whole time.
From: BlindBaby on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 10:07:14 +0200, Eef Hartman
<E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:

>houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
>> No. Obe-Click-Install is just a front to zypper, just like YaST is. And
>> zypper is a front to RPM. That is why I thought it was strange thta
>> there were issues with it.
>
>Sorry to correct you but both YaST and zypper are independant programs
>(neither is a front to the other), although they both make use of
>libzypp (which is the library that does the actual work).
>From zypper's man page:
> zypper is a command-line interface to ZYpp system management library.
> It can be used to install, update, remove software, manage reposito-
> ries, perform various queries, and more.
>And One-Click-Install sets the YaST Meta Package handler to work, which
>is one of the optional YaST modules you can install:
>/sbin/OneClickInstallCLI
>/usr/share/YaST2/clients/OneClickInstallCLI.ycp
>(out of the yast2-metapackage-handler package)
>
>PS: zypper was developed with as example Novell's "rug" product although
>it also was influenced by Novell ZENworks.
>It was introduced in openSUSE 10.2, as far as I know, while YaST is much
>older.

Is the old legacy Novell product line gone and dead now? Is it all
Linux (Suse) based now?

I remember proprietary volume formatting, and all sorts of other things
that are managed differently these days, and I was just curious as to the
'state of your union'. :-)
From: Martin on
On 09/06/10 13:44, Archimedes' Lever wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 11:50:45 +0200, Martin <martin(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> If only it was so easy :o)
>>>
>>> I only have the two that are required for my card installed, namely
>>> x11-video-nvidia and nvidia-gfx-kmp-default
>>>
>>> Incidentally using Open Suse Linux 11.0 I had no problems with the
>>> graphics board.
>>
>> In desperation I removed the GeForce 4 drivers and replaced them with
>> the GeforceFx drivers. The normal boot failed but rebooting from the
>> fail safe option, worked. I now have proper windowing. Very strange!
>
> That indicates a grub boot line error. Examine the differences between
> the safe boot line, and the normal boot line, and look for graphics calls
> in the normal one.
>
> It could be that the boot up mode that is being fed in is messing with
> the x mode startup.
>
> If all you need is windowing, you could simply go with frame buffer
> modes too.

I was hoping to get windowing and the performance of the graphics cars
and a resoluton and refresh rate that matches the monitor I am using.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Conexant Falcon II Help
Next: Firefox over ssh