From: Martin on
On 02/06/10 10:50, Eef Hartman wrote:
> Martin <martin(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> There isn't a 'nvidia-settings' program IN the
>> x11-video-nvidia-96.43.16
>
> Before my previous message, I grabbed the rpm from the NVidia repo with
> wget http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.1/i586/x11-video-nvidia-96.43.16-24.1.i586.rpm
> and looked into that rpm with
> rpm -qpl x11-video-nvidia-96.43.16-24.1.i586.rpm | grep nvidia-settings
> and behold, there IS:
> /usr/bin/nvidia-settings
> and even a man page and user guide
> /usr/share/man/man1/nvidia-settings.1.gz
> /usr/share/doc/packages/x11-video-nvidia/nvidia-settings-user-guide.txt
>
> So either you got "another x11-video-nvidia-96.43.16 package"
> or you didn't look far enough.

I relied on what Yast said about the package.

I installed using 1-Click it was this that installed Packman and the
nvidia-settings it contained.

> PS: the -24.1 part of the RPM name might be different for another
> openSUSE version, use "zypper search -s x11-video-nvidia" to get
> the exact version number
>
> I cannot unpack/run it, of course, as I already got another NVidia
> package installed (this is rather new hardware, the 96.43 release
> is much too old for this machine).

Thanks for your help. I am a relative Newbie to Suse Linux 11.2. Given
time I will get there :o)

--
Martin in Zuid Holland

From: Eef Hartman on
Martin <martin(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks for your help. I am a relative Newbie to Suse Linux 11.2. Given
> time I will get there :o)

Just to make sure I got the 11.2 version too (just change the "11.1"
part in the wget into "11.2", it turns out it IS exactly the same
version) and IT got a nvidia-settings program too (it is in fact
almost the same package as for 11.1, exact that the executables and
libraries have been compiled against the 11.2 libraries).

I never ever use the "one-click install" anymore, it failed too many
times on me, so I don't really trust it.
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Martin on
On 02/06/10 11:59, Eef Hartman wrote:
> Martin <martin(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Thanks for your help. I am a relative Newbie to Suse Linux 11.2. Given
>> time I will get there :o)
>
> Just to make sure I got the 11.2 version too (just change the "11.1"
> part in the wget into "11.2", it turns out it IS exactly the same
> version) and IT got a nvidia-settings program too (it is in fact
> almost the same package as for 11.1, exact that the executables and
> libraries have been compiled against the 11.2 libraries).
>
> I never ever use the "one-click install" anymore, it failed too many
> times on me, so I don't really trust it.

It was the first time that I used one -click". I feel the same way about
using it again now.

--
Martin in ZH
From: Martin on
On 02/06/10 13:00, houghi wrote:
> Martin wrote:
>>> I never ever use the "one-click install" anymore, it failed too many
>>> times on me, so I don't really trust it.
>>
>> It was the first time that I used one -click". I feel the same way about
>> using it again now.
>
> Strange. I have used the once-click install many, many times and never
> ever had an issue with it. Including with software for my NVidea card.

For the same Nvidia card?
From: Martin on
On 03/06/10 00:58, houghi wrote:
> Martin wrote:

>>> Strange. I have used the once-click install many, many times and never
>>> ever had an issue with it. Including with software for my NVidea card.
>>
>> For the same Nvidia card?
>
> The hardware has nothing to do with one-click-install.

It might with the problems I have. :o)

> I was refering
> that it apparently failed "too many times" which I think is very
> strange.

I suspect the problem I have is caused by Nvidia providing one driver to
support too many legacy cards.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Conexant Falcon II Help