From: John Pollard on
Ken Blake wrote:
> I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
> vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
> if so, how to do it.
>
> Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
> information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
> would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
> credit card account.
>
> I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
> returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
> Quicken.
>
> Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
> easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
> somebody help?

When you get home, export the transactions from the laptop to QIF files.
Import the QIF files to your desktop.

I think you could tell the QIF file export to export all (two) accounts,
then tell the QIF file import to import all accounts ... if that produces
the results you like, no special processing would be necessary. You could
test this with test copies of your existing data, before you leave for
vacation. Be sure to name your laptop accounts exactly the same as your
desktop accounts.

If you can't use the "all accounts" option, you can export the two
accounts on the laptop to two different QIF files, then use the
instructions in the following post to get the QIF files into your desktop
Quicken.

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_post_full_view/dQMNaWtX4r3OK1acfArQA8

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Ken Blake on
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 13:44:37 -0700, "Mel" <NOONE(a)NOWHERE.NET> wrote:

> "Ken Blake" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> >I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
> > vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
> > if so, how to do it.
> >
> > Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
> > information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
> > would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
> > credit card account.
> >
> > I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
> > returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
> > Quicken.
> >
> > Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
> > easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
> > somebody help?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
> Amateur reply but couldn't you just copy the new file to the desktop then
> file/import to merge the file to your existing account?

Does file/import do a merge? I hadn't realized that.

From: Ken Blake on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 15:29:35 -0600, Notan
<notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote:

> On 4/1/2010 2:44 PM, Mel wrote:
> > "Ken Blake"<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> >> I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
> >> vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
> >> if so, how to do it.
> >>
> >> Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
> >> information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
> >> would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
> >> credit card account.
> >>
> >> I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
> >> returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
> >> Quicken.
> >>
> >> Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
> >> easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
> >> somebody help?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ken Blake
> >> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
> >
> > Amateur reply but couldn't you just copy the new file to the desktop then
> > file/import to merge the file to your existing account?
>
> Not sure why you have to file/import anything.
>
> Before you leave home, copy your most recent files from your desktop to
> your laptop. When you return, copy your laptop files to your desktop.

Well, the problem with that is that I'm concerned about the
possibility of the laptop being lost or stolen. That's why I said
"install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
credit card account."

And to add to that, I don't want all the history of those accounts on
the laptop.

From: Ken Blake on
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 17:04:40 -0500, "John Pollard"
<8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> > I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
> > vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
> > if so, how to do it.
> >
> > Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
> > information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
> > would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
> > credit card account.
> >
> > I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
> > returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
> > Quicken.
> >
> > Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
> > easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
> > somebody help?
>
> When you get home, export the transactions from the laptop to QIF files.
> Import the QIF files to your desktop.
>
> I think you could tell the QIF file export to export all (two) accounts,
> then tell the QIF file import to import all accounts ... if that produces
> the results you like, no special processing would be necessary. You could
> test this with test copies of your existing data, before you leave for
> vacation. Be sure to name your laptop accounts exactly the same as your
> desktop accounts.
>
> If you can't use the "all accounts" option, you can export the two
> accounts on the laptop to two different QIF files, then use the
> instructions in the following post to get the QIF files into your desktop
> Quicken.
>
> https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_post_full_view/dQMNaWtX4r3OK1acfArQA8

Thanks very much. I'll ask you the same question I asked moments ago
in this thread. When I import a file, will it do a merge? If so, I
hadn't realized that.

I'll take a look at the post you cite later when I have more time.

From: Zaidy036 on
In article <h1dar5l1luoe4sl3ohsjhl4a4imh286q4b(a)4ax.com>,
kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain says...

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 17:04:40 -0500, "John Pollard"
> <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ken Blake wrote:
> > > I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
> > > vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
> > > if so, how to do it.
> > >
> > > Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
> > > information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
> > > would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
> > > credit card account.
<snip>

If you do not want account info (bank name, account number, etc) on the laptop
I think you will have problems having Q absorb any data after you return.

The simplest solution would be to make a Q report for the checking account with
enough info to satisfy your possible needs while traveling and then import it
to the laptop as an Excel file. Then you can add any formulas to show
continuing balances and manually add activities as you desire for your records.

When you return running a normal bank update in Q will bring it up to date and
you can compare your Excel records to the Q D/L for accuracy.

Eric