From: Han on
Notan <notan(a)ddressthatcanbespammed> wrote in

> On 4/1/2010 7:32 PM, Han wrote:
>> Ken Blake<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>
>>> I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
>>> vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible,
>>> and if so, how to do it.
>>>
>>> Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my
>>> financial information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The
>>> only things I would want would be my checking account (for ATM
>>> transactions) and a credit card account.
>>>
>>> I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when
>>> I returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop
>>> copy of Quicken.
>>>
>>> Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
>>> easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
>>> somebody help?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Sorry, coming a little late to the thread. Work had to be done ...
>>
>> I would suggest either the Truecrypt option, or using Q on the laptop
>> and the data file(s) on a flash drive. Carry the flash drive around
>> your neck rather than with the laptop. You could even encrypt the
>> flash drive.
>
> While I'm sure(?) it's been asked before, does the Vault password
> encrypt and, if so, how elaborate is the encryption?

A quick search found that it is "industry standard encryption" (AES?).
IMNSHO, If you are that concerned, you shouldn't use the vault password
system at all.

--
Best regards
Han
From: XS11E on
Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

> I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm
> on vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's
> possible, and if so, how to do it.
>
> Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my
> financial information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The
> only things I would want would be my checking account (for ATM
> transactions) and a credit card account.

Probably a very bad idea, laptops are very commonly stolen and you'd be
giving the thief access to any accounts on the laptop.

I keep nothing on my laptop that I wouldn't publish on the front page
of the local newspaper! <G>

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Ken Blake on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:25:30 -0400, Chad Neeper
<cneeper(a)level9networks.com> wrote:

> Ken Blake wrote:
> > Well, the problem with that is that I'm concerned about the
> > possibility of the laptop being lost or stolen. That's why I said
> > "install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
> > information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
>
> Personally, rather than try to export/import just certain
> accounts/transactions, I'd prefer to have the whole data file. You can
> easily handle the security problem using TrueCrypt (www.truecrypt.org).

OK, thanks. I'll look into that.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Ken Blake on

Thanks again.

From: Ken Blake on
On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 08:00:34 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com>
wrote:

> Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
> > I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm
> > on vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's
> > possible, and if so, how to do it.
> >
> > Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my
> > financial information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The
> > only things I would want would be my checking account (for ATM
> > transactions) and a credit card account.
>
> Probably a very bad idea, laptops are very commonly stolen

Yep!

> and you'd be
> giving the thief access to any accounts on the laptop.

And that's exactly why I don't want any info about the accounts (as I
said)--just the name, and the few transactions that occurred while I
was away.

> I keep nothing on my laptop that I wouldn't publish on the front page
> of the local newspaper! <G>

Same here.