From: Ken Blake on
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 20:30:55 -0400, Laura <invalid(a)sample.invalid>
wrote:

> Zaidy036 wrote:
> > In article <h1dar5l1luoe4sl3ohsjhl4a4imh286q4b(a)4ax.com>,
> > kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain says...

> > <snip>
> >
> > If you do not want account info (bank name, account number, etc) on the laptop
> > I think you will have problems having Q absorb any data after you return.
> >
> > The simplest solution would be to make a Q report for the checking account with
> > enough info to satisfy your possible needs while traveling and then import it
> > to the laptop as an Excel file. Then you can add any formulas to show
> > continuing balances and manually add activities as you desire for your records.
> >
> > When you return running a normal bank update in Q will bring it up to date and
> > you can compare your Excel records to the Q D/L for accuracy.
> >
> > Eric
> >

> One add-on that might just work with your suggestion is X2LQIF found
> here: http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php
>
> Just enter the transactions into excel while traveling and then create a
> QIF file when done.

Thanks very much. That might be the best solution for me. I'll look
into this.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Han on
Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in

> I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
> vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
> if so, how to do it.
>
> Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
> information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
> would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
> credit card account.
>
> I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
> returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
> Quicken.
>
> Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
> easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
> somebody help?
>
> Thanks.

Maybe this would be a case for Mint ...

--
Best regards
Han
From: JimH on
Ken Blake wrote:

>> One add-on that might just work with your suggestion is X2LQIF found
>> here: http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php
>>
>> Just enter the transactions into excel while traveling and then create a
>> QIF file when done.
>

> Thanks very much. That might be the best solution for me. I'll look
> into this.

I don't understand why you don't just create the dummy accounts on your
laptop, and update them manually while traveling, then just download the
transactions from your FI to your home machine, when you return?

Are you going to be gone too long for that?
From: Al on

"Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
> Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in

> Maybe this would be a case for Mint ...
>
> --
> Best regards
> Han
> email address is invalid

Well, I think that ...
1. ... I don't like my financial info on anyplace other than my devices -
that is, I don't like Qkn Online nor Mint concepts.
2. ... there is no sync connection nor export/import between PC-based
traditional Quicken and Mint, but I could be wrong - not 1st time.
3. ... it' a pity that the Landware Intuit relationship is dissolved. I use
Pocket Quicken extensively as I travel far, wide and long. My smartphone has
the accounts I want (checking & 2 credit cards) without acct info to id them
and I leave behind investment and other accounts, although I do carry 10
years of history and use the payee, category, class/tag & memorized
transaction lists - one does indeed return to the same places. I can run
reports, finds, and when I return I sync with PC-based Qkn.

That's my 3-cents worth (inflation, I guess).

Al

From: Han on
"Al" <nospam(a)example.invalid> wrote in

> "Han" <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote in message
>> Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in

>> Maybe this would be a case for Mint ...
>>
>> --
>> Best regards
>> Han
>> email address is invalid
>
> Well, I think that ...
> 1. ... I don't like my financial info on anyplace other than my
> devices - that is, I don't like Qkn Online nor Mint concepts.
> 2. ... there is no sync connection nor export/import between PC-based
> traditional Quicken and Mint, but I could be wrong - not 1st time.
> 3. ... it' a pity that the Landware Intuit relationship is dissolved.
> I use Pocket Quicken extensively as I travel far, wide and long. My
> smartphone has the accounts I want (checking & 2 credit cards) without
> acct info to id them and I leave behind investment and other accounts,
> although I do carry 10 years of history and use the payee, category,
> class/tag & memorized transaction lists - one does indeed return to
> the same places. I can run reports, finds, and when I return I sync
> with PC-based Qkn.
>
> That's my 3-cents worth (inflation, I guess).
>
> Al

I hear you Al, but my rebuttal would include that it might be possible to
steal or eavesdrop from your phone as well.
I tried pocket Quicken once, very, very long ago, and was severely
underwhelmed.

To the OP (Ken Blake): Did you consider Mint?

--
Best regards
Han