From: XS11E on
John Carter <me(a)mymailsvr.org> wrote:

> DOn't take this the wrong way, but isn't a VACATION meant to allow
> the family to get away from the daily grind, have a good time, and
> not worry about such things as bills, etc?

I used to never read a newspaper or watch TV while on vacation, nothing
ever happened that wouldn't wait until I returned home....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Ken Blake on
On 8 Apr 2010 16:29:35 GMT, John Carter <me(a)mymailsvr.org> wrote:

> Ken Blake <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>
> > I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm
> > on vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's
> > possible, and if so, how to do it.
> >
> > Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my
> > financial information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The
> > only things I would want would be my checking account (for ATM
> > transactions) and a credit card account.
> >
> > I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then
> > when I returned home transfer all of those transactions to my
> > desktop copy of Quicken.
> >
> > Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
> > easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop.
> > Can somebody help?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> DOn't take this the wrong way, but isn't a VACATION meant to allow
> the family to get away from the daily grind, have a good time, and
> not worry about such things as bills, etc?

Sure. I'm not looking for a way to spend a lot of time on this at all.
But I am willing to spend a few minutes each day.

> My wife would have a fit if I took my laptop on vacatioon and did
> Quicken updates nightly.

I always take my laptop--not for Quicken, but to stay in e-mail
contact with my friends and family.

Back in the days before I had a laptop, I used to spend *more* time
buying, writing, and mailing postcards.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Jeff on
On 4/10/2010 10:52 AM, bjn wrote:

> I have a Quicken install on a notebook I take traveling. Quicken has all
> the account numbers and passwords. I protect it by putting the Quicken
> file in a TrueCrypt encrypted virtual drive. The Quicken data is protected
> by 256 bit AES encryption and a long pass-phrase.
>

> Another option is to put the Quicken file on an encrypted USB thumb drive.
> Some of those have encryption built-in. I have used TrueCrypt with
> thumbdrives that do not have encryption built-in.
>

> http://www.truecrypt.org/

That is also what I do with my notebook. I think a thumbdrive is even
more likely to be lost than a notebook.
From: Marty on

I use truecrypt (truecrypt.org) to create an encrypted volume on
my desktop machine. This volume looks and acts like a hard disc volume.
It uses advanced encryption to protect data. I have used this
successfully for a few years with no problems and feel comfortable with
it use and protection of my data. The only caveat is do not forget the
password (or phrase) you use to access the file, as there is no way to
recover the data in an encrypted volume without it. There is not back
door access to the volume. Many attempts have been made to access the
data using Truecrypt with out success.

I put all of my critical files, including Quicken data files, into this
volume and routinely transfer the file between machines whenever I travel.

Some will say that any encrypted volume can be broken into, given enough
time, but I have not seen any descriptions of this being done
on a Truecrypt volume with out some very sophisticated hardware and
software which is not what a casual thief would have on hand.

From: Jeff on
On 4/13/2010 10:29 AM, Marty wrote:

> I use truecrypt (truecrypt.org) to create an encrypted volume on
> my desktop machine. This volume looks and acts like a hard disc volume.
> It uses advanced encryption to protect data. I have used this
> successfully for a few years with no problems and feel comfortable with
> it use and protection of my data. The only caveat is do not forget the
> password (or phrase) you use to access the file, as there is no way to
> recover the data in an encrypted volume without it. There is not back
> door access to the volume. Many attempts have been made to access the
> data using Truecrypt with out success.
>
> I put all of my critical files, including Quicken data files, into this
> volume and routinely transfer the file between machines whenever I travel.
>
> Some will say that any encrypted volume can be broken into, given enough
> time, but I have not seen any descriptions of this being done
> on a Truecrypt volume with out some very sophisticated hardware and
> software which is not what a casual thief would have on hand.
>
> On 4/1/2010 2:12 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
>> vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
>> if so, how to do it.
>>
>> Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
>> information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
>> would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
>> credit card account.
>>
>> I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
>> returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
>> Quicken.
>>
>> Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
>> easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
>> somebody help?
>>
>> Thanks.

Do you use a hidden or a standard volume in True Crypt?