From: Ken Blake on
I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
if so, how to do it.

Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
credit card account.

I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
Quicken.

Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
somebody help?

Thanks.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Mel on

"Ken Blake" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
> vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
> if so, how to do it.
>
> Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
> information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
> would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
> credit card account.
>
> I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
> returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
> Quicken.
>
> Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
> easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
> somebody help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Ken Blake
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Amateur reply but couldn't you just copy the new file to the desktop then
file/import to merge the file to your existing account?
Mel

From: Notan on
On 4/1/2010 2:44 PM, Mel wrote:
> "Ken Blake"<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
>> vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
>> if so, how to do it.
>>
>> Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
>> information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
>> would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
>> credit card account.
>>
>> I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
>> returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
>> Quicken.
>>
>> Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
>> easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
>> somebody help?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
> Amateur reply but couldn't you just copy the new file to the desktop then
> file/import to merge the file to your existing account?

Not sure why you have to file/import anything.

Before you leave home, copy your most recent files from your desktop to
your laptop. When you return, copy your laptop files to your desktop.
From: Laura on
Notan wrote:
> On 4/1/2010 2:44 PM, Mel wrote:
>> "Ken Blake"<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>>> I run Quicken 2010. I would like to do the following for when I'm on
>>> vacation, if I could. Can somebody tell me whether it's possible, and
>>> if so, how to do it.
>>>
>>> Install a copy of Quicken on my laptop, but have none of my financial
>>> information (account numbers, balances, etc.) on it. The only things I
>>> would want would be my checking account (for ATM transactions) and a
>>> credit card account.
>>>
>>> I'd like to record transactions in those two accounts, and then when I
>>> returned home transfer all of those transactions to my desktop copy of
>>> Quicken.
>>>
>>> Setting up Quicken on the laptop and recording the transactions is
>>> easy, but I don't know of a way to transfer them to the desktop. Can
>>> somebody help?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake
>>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>>
>> Amateur reply but couldn't you just copy the new file to the desktop then
>> file/import to merge the file to your existing account?
>
> Not sure why you have to file/import anything.
>
> Before you leave home, copy your most recent files from your desktop to
> your laptop. When you return, copy your laptop files to your desktop.

that's what I usually do EXCEPT that OP only wants to take selective
accounts with him and then transfer the info back to the Q file on the
desktop.

It might be easier to create a file that only has the selective accounts
in it. This can be transferred back and forth bwt computers without any
problems. Create a second file that has all of the remaining accounts
and keep that file only on the desktop file.
From: Notan on
On 4/1/2010 3:43 PM, Laura wrote:
> Notan wrote:
>> On 4/1/2010 2:44 PM, Mel wrote:
>>> "Ken Blake"<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

>>> Amateur reply but couldn't you just copy the new file to the desktop
>>> then
>>> file/import to merge the file to your existing account?
>>
>> Not sure why you have to file/import anything.
>>
>> Before you leave home, copy your most recent files from your desktop to
>> your laptop. When you return, copy your laptop files to your desktop.
>
> that's what I usually do EXCEPT that OP only wants to take selective
> accounts with him and then transfer the info back to the Q file on the
> desktop.
>
> It might be easier to create a file that only has the selective accounts
> in it. This can be transferred back and forth bwt computers without any
> problems. Create a second file that has all of the remaining accounts
> and keep that file only on the desktop file.

Ooops.

It looks like my selective hearing has spread to my eyes!