From: Jerry Boyle on

"XS11E" <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> At the beginning of May I received my April statement and reconciled
> w/o any problem. When I received my May statement (early June) I
> attempted to reconcile the account but the beginning balance was about
> $4,000 too high!
>
> What could possibly cause this?
>
> I KNOW the opening balance and closing balance in April were correct,
> how could the opening balance for May be anything other than the
> closing balance for April?
>
> HELP, please?

I often copy-and-paste existing reconciled transactions then clear the R
status and set the date to today. Could you possibly have done the same but
forgotten to change the date and clear the R? If so, sorting the register by
order entered should flush out the culprit(s).

Jerry

From: XS11E on
"R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> wrote:

> If the ending balance reconciles, then the opening balance is of
> only academic interest.
>
> If the ending balance does NOT reconcile, then you need to
> identify the non-reconciling item, even if it occurred in some
> earlier period.

It didn't reconcile, it's off by the same amount as the opening
balance.

> Quite often, a check or deposit that is outstanding on April 30
> will clear in May.

I really didn't write any $4,000 checks last month.

> If all else fails, go back and reconcile LAST month-end again.

Last month reconciled correctly as stated in my post and I did go back
and reconcile again to no avail....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: XS11E on
"Jerry Boyle" <jerryboyle(a)att.net> wrote:

> I often copy-and-paste existing reconciled transactions then clear
> the R status and set the date to today. Could you possibly have
> done the same but forgotten to change the date and clear the R?

I never copy and paste so I doubt that's it?

> If so, sorting the register by order entered should flush out the
> culprit(s).

That's worth a look, thanks.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Jerry Boyle on

"XS11E" <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> At the beginning of May I received my April statement and reconciled
> w/o any problem. When I received my May statement (early June) I
> attempted to reconcile the account but the beginning balance was about
> $4,000 too high!
>
> What could possibly cause this?
>
> I KNOW the opening balance and closing balance in April were correct,
> how could the opening balance for May be anything other than the
> closing balance for April?
>
> HELP, please?

Here's a cumbersome method that should work if all else fails. If a very old
transaction has been deleted it might be your only hope.

Restore a known-to-be-correct backup copy of your DB on a laptop and compare
the current and backup registers to find the line(s) at which the balance
differs.

Printing the backup register or flipping between the two DBs will also work
if you can't find a 2nd computer.

Jerry

From: XS11E on
XS11E <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> I really didn't write any $4,000 checks last month.

I should NEVER trust my memory, the error is $17,414.86 which is, BTW,
more than my total spending OR total deposits in the last two months

The Usenet Improvement Project: