From: XS11E on
Laura <invalid(a)sample.invalid> wrote:

> I've had this happen a few times in the past. Usually it was
> caused by a duplicate transaction or a mismatching of a downloaded
> transaction.

Thanks, that's the usual problem but I'm $17,414.86 too high which
eliminates a single transaction.

> I narrowed it down to my being lazy where I hit the "accept all
> transaction" blindly. I no longer do that and only occasionally
> get duplicate transactions.

I don't do that but that HAS to be what happened, I've found literally
hundreds of duplicate transactions, my only fix has been to delete
Quicken, delete all related files, registry entries, etc. and then re-
install. I found I could balance if I restored my February backup but
not if I restored a later one.

I'm now manually entering all the transactions from February 28 forward
and it's pretty slow....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: XS11E on
"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> In effect, you're asking the wrong question. You don't change the
> start date to go back to a previous reconcile ... you change the
> net amount of reconciled transactions.
>
> Which I pointed out on June 11 in this thread. And reminded again
> June 15 ... which you quoted when you submitted this post I'm
> replying to.

Those were non-working answers, I had to remove all reconciled
transactions from Quicken, the easiest way was to delete it and all
related files, registry entries, etc. and then re-install and restore
backups.

Strangely enough, only the February backup allowed me to reconcile, any
later gave me similar errors despite the fact that April balanced?????

So now I'm manually entering the entries from February forward, very
tedious...

I'll probably never know WHY it downloaded and accepted hundreds of
duplicate transactions going back to November of last year (the dupes
do NOT show up in the February or earlier backups) and reconciled all
of them even though it balanced at the end of April. I have to believe
that April would be OK to restore but I'm unable to find that backup
and that's another mystery I may never solve....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: John Pollard on
XS11E wrote:
> "John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In effect, you're asking the wrong question. You don't change the
>> start date to go back to a previous reconcile ... you change the
>> net amount of reconciled transactions.
>>
>> Which I pointed out on June 11 in this thread. And reminded again
>> June 15 ... which you quoted when you submitted this post I'm
>> replying to.

> Those were non-working answers,

Non-working answers, my eye.

You clearly still don't understand anything about how Quicken reconcile
works. When you receive an answer and can't accept it (or refuse to ask
for clarification) ... the problem has become your personal problem.

You have exacerbated (if not created) your own problem.

I have, on occasion, had to re-reconcile, using the same logic I provided
you ... and done so with no difficulty.

I will no longer attempt to help you.

Please don't waste any one else's time here with your false claim.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Laura on
XS11E wrote:
> Laura <invalid(a)sample.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I've had this happen a few times in the past. Usually it was
>> caused by a duplicate transaction or a mismatching of a downloaded
>> transaction.
>
> Thanks, that's the usual problem but I'm $17,414.86 too high which
> eliminates a single transaction.
>
>> I narrowed it down to my being lazy where I hit the "accept all
>> transaction" blindly. I no longer do that and only occasionally
>> get duplicate transactions.
>
> I don't do that but that HAS to be what happened, I've found literally
> hundreds of duplicate transactions, my only fix has been to delete
> Quicken, delete all related files, registry entries, etc. and then re-
> install. I found I could balance if I restored my February backup but
> not if I restored a later one.
>
> I'm now manually entering all the transactions from February 28 forward
> and it's pretty slow....

Hundreds of duplicates sounds like whatever file keeps track of what has
been downloaded from the bank either became corrupt or deleted. Your
bank then downloaded all transactions back to the beginning of their
download window. With you manually entering the transactions might cause
those transactions to be downloaded again the next time you do a OSU. I
suggest you make a backup prior to your next update just to be safe.
Hopefully I am wrong...good luck.
From: Mike Blake-Knox on
In article <Xns9D98991A6D70Axs11eyahoocom(a)127.0.0.1>, Xs11E wrote:
> XS11E <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > How can I change the start date on the reconcile screen to go back
> > to a previous month?
>
> Can anyone answer this? I recall doing it once but I can't remember
> how...

The problem is that the start date of a reconciliation doesn't have the
slightest effect on the opening balance as Quicken calculates the
opening balance by summing the values of all the reconciled
transactions.

Yes, it's not logical to have a reconciliation start date that's
ignored during reconciliation. Unfortunately this isn't the only place
where irrelevant informnation is collected while starting a
reconciliation. (For instance, when you start a credit card
reconciliation, you are asked for the total amount of charges and the
total amount of credits during the period. These two values don't seem
to affect reconciliation at all - For years, I've been using 0 for both
when reconciling credit card accounts!)

Anyway, I have a process that I use when I run across a reconciliation
opening balance problem. I run Quicken using one of my backup files
that doesn't show the problem. I export a register report and open it
in Excel. I close the old file in Quicken and open the current one. I
export a register report for the new one and open it in Excel. In both
spreadsheets, I add a running total "Balance" column where each line is
the sum of the previous balance plus the value of the current
transaction.

At this point, I can readily see which transaction are in one file but
not in the other by scrolling up and down and looking to see where the
balances differ. Excel has a side by side comparison function that may
be helpful. There are also comparison tools that are sometimes helpful.

Hope this helps

Mike