From: XS11E on
Laura <invalid(a)sample.invalid> wrote:

> Hundreds of duplicates sounds like whatever file keeps track of
> what has been downloaded from the bank either became corrupt or
> deleted. Your bank then downloaded all transactions back to the
> beginning of their download window.

Thanks for the ideas, you're absolutely right, the problem is that
Quicken can't match existing transactions to newly downloaded
transactions, I had a thread about that some time back (manual
matching isn't available either, don't know why?) and a fix was
never found. A lot of good information was provided but none of it
seemed to apply to my particular problem.

This all started when I changed financial institutions so it's
something on their end. There is other fluky behavior as well, all
dating to changing my checking/credit card accounts from UBS to RBC.

> With you manually entering the transactions might cause those
> transactions to be downloaded again the next time you do a OSU. I
> suggest you make a backup prior to your next update just to be
> safe.

Good idea but a backup doesn't help if I fail to catch it when it
happens and somehow that's exactly what did happen, I failed to
catch it somehow???

I have a fix, I'm reluctant to do it because it's a hassle but I may
have to... I'm sure if I switch the credit card/checking services
from the RBC account to Merrill Lynch account, everything will work
properly again, it's somehow related to how RBC handles Quicken
downloads. If I get another similar problem that's what I'll have
to do.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: XS11E on
"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> XS11E wrote:

>> Those were non-working answers,

> Non-working answers, my eye.

Non-working.

> You clearly still don't understand anything about how Quicken
> reconcile works.

I do but you clearly don't understand the problem. I admit that's my
fault since I don't understand it either it's difficult to explain
properly but, try this: The problem I'm having is that the bank (RBC in
this case) downloaded hundreds of duplicate transactions dating back
into last year. Since these have all been reconciled (no, I don't know
how they got accepted into the register or how they became reconciled
w/o balancing) the only fix is to delete all of the duplicates that are
marked reconciled and the easy way to do that is to start over as I've
done.

> I will no longer attempt to help you.

You've been no help at all so far and this last childish outburst from
you doesn't help any either.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: XS11E on
Mike Blake-Knox <mikebkdontspam(a)knology.net> wrote:

> In article <Xns9D98991A6D70Axs11eyahoocom(a)127.0.0.1>, Xs11E wrote:
>> XS11E <xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > How can I change the start date on the reconcile screen to go
>> > back to a previous month?
>>
>> Can anyone answer this? I recall doing it once but I can't
>> remember how...
>
> The problem is that the start date of a reconciliation doesn't
> have the slightest effect on the opening balance as Quicken
> calculates the opening balance by summing the values of all the
> reconciled transactions.

Thanks but I think the problem is I'm asking an incomplete question, I
needed to change the start date AND remove all the "reconciled" tags
from the hundreds of duplicate transactions that go back into last
year. See my reply to Laura.

I've just started over, that seems to be the easiest in light of the
number of duplicates.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: Zaidy036 on
In article <Xns9D9C633316FA9xs11eyahoocom(a)127.0.0.1>, xs11eNO(a)SPAMyahoo.com
says...

> Mike Blake-Knox <mikebkdontspam(a)knology.net> wrote:

> >> Can anyone answer this? I recall doing it once but I can't
> >> remember how...
> >
> > The problem is that the start date of a reconciliation doesn't
> > have the slightest effect on the opening balance as Quicken
> > calculates the opening balance by summing the values of all the
> > reconciled transactions.
>
> Thanks but I think the problem is I'm asking an incomplete question, I
> needed to change the start date AND remove all the "reconciled" tags
> from the hundreds of duplicate transactions that go back into last
> year. See my reply to Laura.
>
> I've just started over, that seems to be the easiest in light of the
> number of duplicates.

If you try to reenter transactions you will make errors.

1. Display register by date.
3. Duplicate entries should be easy to spot by scanning $$.
4. Delete the duplicates.
5. Repeat the ending reconciliation.

From: Mike Blake-Knox on
In article <Xns9D9C60B29A54Exs11eyahoocom(a)127.0.0.1>, Xs11E wrote:
> This all started when I changed financial institutions so it's
> something on their end. There is other fluky behavior as well, all
> dating to changing my checking/credit card accounts from UBS to RBC.

Can you elaborate on the timing and mechanics please? When did you
switch from UBS to RBC and what did you do in Quicken to reflect the
switch? Was the April statement from UBS and the May one from RBC?

The way Quicken prevents duplicate entries is that the bank assigns a
unique ID to each transaction. When a new transaction is downloaded,
Quicken ignores if if the transaction ID has already been processed. If
UBS had a way to transfer old transactions to RBC, I would tend to
assume that RBC would use different transaction IDs.

It sounds like you are downloading old UBS transactions from RBC! How
would RBC have any record of them? Understanding this may shed a lot of
light on what's going on. Generally when one gets a new credit card
account, you create a new account for the new bank and have a transfer
transaction move the balance from the old account to the new account.
If you had and even if RBC was able to download your UBS transactions,
you could easily delete the old transactions.

In fact, that would be the easiest way to delete all the old
transactions: Create a new Quicken account, activate it to RBC and
download your transactions. You can then shift-click to select all the
transactions and delete them. Afterwards, you could move all your
transactions from the old account to the new one but you will likely
run across reconciliation problems as Quicken has problems moving
transfer transactions.

Incidentally, I download from RBC Bank (US) myself using web connect.
The web site has a pop-up that controls which transactions are
downloaded. Mine is set to download only new transactions. How is
yours set?

Hope this helps.

Mike